Author Topic: Sodding arthritis  (Read 64217 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Sodding arthritis
« Reply #175 on: 03 September, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
Left wrist very bad this morning. I don't think this is anything to do with playing the piano, although I did have a bash at a Brahms rhapsody last night.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #176 on: 03 September, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »
Awww.  Hope it feels better soon Peter  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #177 on: 04 September, 2017, 10:12:14 am »
Left thumb this morning. This is a >40 year old rugby injury which has never properly recovered. Took 20 minutes this morning to put my socks on
Awww.  Hope it feels better soon Peter  :-*

Thanks.  :-*

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #178 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:16:48 am »
Sodding left shoulder. I got dressed because I couldn't get comfortable in bed. Bollocks.

At least the latter are not arthritic.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #179 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:11:07 am »
Report on Mrs T's knees from radiologist yesterday uses nasty words such as gonarthrosis and dysplasia. :(

In winter we bring our firewood across from the barn and stack a week's worth in the cellar, then haul it up by the basketload as needed.  It gets her knees, my ankles and both lots of vertebrae.  Heigh ho.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #180 on: 16 September, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »
Sodding left shoulder. I got dressed because I couldn't get comfortable in bed. Bollocks.

At least the latter are not arthritic.

The former is a very familiar issue, I'm planning to throw drugs at my shoulder this evening, it's being somewhat shit atm. I don't own a pair of the latter, fortunately, I think ;)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #181 on: 17 September, 2017, 06:07:44 pm »
Report on Mrs T's knees from radiologist yesterday uses nasty words such as gonarthrosis and dysplasia. :(

In winter we bring our firewood across from the barn and stack a week's worth in the cellar, then haul it up by the basketload as needed.  It gets her knees, my ankles and both lots of vertebrae.  Heigh ho.

I know a song about that...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #182 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:17:52 am »
Bloody right hand again. It's interesting, actually: making a fist is very painful, but I can move my fingers around OK for typing and piano playing. It's just as well I don't want to punch anyone (Michael Gove, Boris Johnson & Jacob Rees-Mogg excepted).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #183 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:29:26 am »
You need to cock your wrist back to make a fist, but keep it straightish for typing and piano...

Hope pain improves soon!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #184 on: 01 November, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »
Great pain in right wrist again, and also into the palm. Enough to stop me from paying the piano.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #185 on: 02 November, 2017, 07:48:51 pm »
Didn't realise your Blüthner was coin-operated!  ;) ;D

GWS!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #186 on: 27 November, 2017, 03:28:15 pm »
I have just had my annual rheumatology appointment. I saw the Top Man, Professor Dasgupta.

I no longer have to take alendronic acid and I have been reduced to 2-yearly appointments. Very happy about this.

I mentioned to him that I thought that playing the piano had had a considerable beneficial effect on my arthritis. He agreed that it probably had. He told me that he learned the piano as an adult and got as far as Grade 6, which I said was impressive. He then told me he decided to give up because it was taking up too much time. He also said he would recommend that his patients learn the piano. I said "Point them in my direction for lessons!"  :D

Anyway, WHOOPEE!

barakta

« Reply #187 on: 27 November, 2017, 04:58:36 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #188 on: 27 November, 2017, 06:48:09 pm »
Good to hear  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #189 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:27:48 pm »
The elapsed time between my last post and now is illustrative of the fact that my Sodding Arthritis hasn't really bothered me much for quite along time.

In March, because of that, I decided to stop taking methotrexate as, it being an immunosuppressant, I didn't really want my immune system to be suppressed should Covid strike. So I stopped.

Mostly  I have had little pain - the odd twinge here and there. But today I have a wonderful swelling between the knuckles of my index and middle finger of my left hand, and it bloody well hurts. A lot. I hope it's not indicative of a nasty flare-up. The weather has taken a decided turn for the autumnal today, so that may be a contributory factor, but I've not previously noticed any association between weather and pain.

« Reply #190 on: 25 August, 2020, 04:38:44 pm »
Folklore is all about the connection between weather and pain.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #191 on: 29 August, 2020, 02:16:57 pm »

How my knuckle looked the other day.

« Reply #192 on: 31 August, 2020, 01:14:29 pm »
I haven't waded through the whole thread but this may be of use to you and not mentioned earlier.
A fellow sufferer of arthritis here. Nothing catastrophic, sport related and particularly on damp days.
Thumbs/fingers in particular (rugby)
Shoulder (various operations)
Neck (rugby)
knee (mileage)
I recently switched to a low carb diet and guess what......pretty much gone. Hallelujah.
Lack of inflammation I would assume.
Of course this requires giving up cake so its a heck of a trade off.
often lost.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #193 on: 31 August, 2020, 01:38:17 pm »
Your sounds very like osteo-arthritis - wear and tear. Mine's an autoimmune disease - my immune system attacks my cartilage, hence my 12-year use of immunosuppressants.

I very rarely eat cake, and my carbs are limited to one or two slices of wholemeal bread per day, porridge or a brekkie cereal in the morning, and taters/rice/pasta at dinner time. I've also cut out almost all booze.

barakta

« Reply #194 on: 31 August, 2020, 02:30:07 pm »
I'm not speaking to my sodding hands. I think the left one is going arthritic (osteo, wear and tear from atypical joints and usage) on me, I shoulda got them to xray it 18 months ago when they diagnosed the elbows and right wrist. Shoe/pain fits, wear it.

Heat bag seems to have nobbled the hand today, but I am hoping to get off the celecoxib after the shoulder is nerve nobbled and worry that I need it for more than shoulders...

I'm only 40 ffs.

« Reply #195 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:21:05 pm »
Your sounds very like osteo-arthritis - wear and tear. Mine's an autoimmune disease - my immune system attacks my cartilage, hence my 12-year use of immunosuppressants.

I very rarely eat cake, and my carbs are limited to one or two slices of wholemeal bread per day, porridge or a brekkie cereal in the morning, and taters/rice/pasta at dinner time. I've also cut out almost all booze.

Ahh yes. Well if you ever get osteo as well!
often lost.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #196 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:45:47 am »
I've been for my annual(ish) rheumatology appointment. Everything tickety-boo.

No flare-ups of any note to report (I'd have logged them here if there were).
I'm not on medication for arthritis.
They will phone me in 6 months to see how it's going, and make another face-to-face appointment in another year or so.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #197 on: 04 January, 2022, 06:11:56 pm »
Those of a gouty tendency are warned against crash-dieting in January…
… or any other time!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #198 on: 21 July, 2022, 02:53:05 am »
First report of pain this year! And guess what - twice this week (Monday & Wednesday) I’ve had a breakfast cereal with cow’s milk instead of my usual porridge (jumbo oats with hazelnut milk). Now I have a very painful right wrist and thumb joint. I suppose that it could also be the processed grains in the cereal, but I eat a fair bit of home-made bread with top quality flour, so I doubt that.

I have a telephone appointment on 16th August so at least I’ve got something to tell them.

It only seems to be fresh milk that causes the problem as I eat butter most days and good cheddar cheese two or three times a week.

Edit: it’s worth noting that my feet are a bit swollen as well, but since they are not painful I’m putting that down to the heat.

barakta

« Reply #199 on: 21 July, 2022, 03:07:00 pm »
Interesting. Another difference between fresh milk and butter/cheese is amount of lactose.

I am lactose intolerant (but like most lactose intolerant people, not 100%). I can't have regular milk, cream, yoghurt, but I can have regular harder cheeses (and brie) and butter which have minimal lactose in them.

Can't say I have issues with arthritic issues being worse when I use lactosefree milk but mine is osteo and I have no rheumatoid which is all auto immune bollocks.