Author Topic: Damn H&S effecting medical treatments  (Read 2057 times)

Damn H&S effecting medical treatments
« on: 15 December, 2008, 12:10:40 pm »
This could be a long story. I'll try to keep it short.
When I was a kid, I had a bone/joint problem, then called Perthes disease.
I was a 'Group 4' (total loss of part of the joint), basically not expected to recover, wheelchair/crutches bound.

I recieved what was then a revolutionary treatment, involving wearing fibreglass splints on my legs. I went to a normal school messed about in the mud, did normal kid things. I recovered, pretty well perfectly.

The standard treatment then was a min of 2 years in traction in hospital, in plaster. This had a very low success rate for group/stage 4 kids.

I was reading up on current treatments last night.

It is a min of 2 years in plaster etc.
30-odd years later they are still using this stupid useless treatment.

They don't use the splints, because (and this is the bit that gets me angry) access and mobility problems in normal schools.

A major influence in the recovery from Perthes is the stimulation of blood flow, maintenance of mobility in the joint. Sticking kids in plaster immobile in a bed just isn't going to do it.

I'm strongly tempted to try hunting down current 'experts' in treating this disease and try to teach them something. I still have my x-rays from when I was 6.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Damn H&S effecting medical treatments
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2008, 12:21:29 pm »
And you think it's H&S gorn maaad, and not just crap clinical policy, why?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2008, 12:38:24 pm »
It seems to be a national attitude.

Maybe it is just crap clinical policy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:51:58 pm »
Weird diseases usually have a Weird Disease Association (mine does).  Track 'em down, as one of their roles (apart from support for patients and carers) is to disseminate info to medical professionals who haven't had anyone with that before.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:58:57 pm »
I did, some years ago. I wrote a piece for them, telling my story. They were a bit surprised, as they'd been told that Toronto Splints didn't work.

Unfortunately, the org imploded - it's a rare disease, that doesn't kill people, so it doesn't attract the funding and attention that some diseases get.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »
So register a domain name and get a website up to tell your story.

Then do what you can to get it in the search ratings when someone Googles your condition.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2008, 09:59:37 am »
So register a domain name and get a website up to tell your story.

Then do what you can to get it in the search ratings when someone Googles your condition.

that's worthwhile, yeah.  I'll add it to the to do list.
<i>Marmite slave</i>