Author Topic: I have a chest infection again  (Read 15782 times)

Re: I have a chest infection again
« Reply #50 on: 24 September, 2008, 02:06:01 pm »
Pluck did suggest that. I might go to the drop in centre and see if I can get nebulised soon... good idea, Fi.  :)

« Reply #51 on: 24 September, 2008, 03:25:13 pm »
I just had a sneaky saline neb here at work - seems to have helped rather a lot.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 24 September, 2008, 03:37:32 pm »
Have you not got your own neb, Peli?  Handy thing to have.  There's a lot of days I've needed it to get out of bed in the mornings.  They can be expensive, but you might be able to get one from a health centre or hospital if you're crafty, and there are some decent cheaper ones around if you don't need all the bells & whistles (I don't).

Can be a bugger getting masks, pots, tubes etc...
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:57:47 am »
i visited a doctor yesterday for the first time in 12 years (!!!) because i've been coughing and have had a cold for the last week, so needed a doctor's note to get an extension for my ma dissertation which is due on tuesday.

he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with me, if there was it was almost over blah blah blah, he says, while standing there with his arms crossed in a somewhat hostile position.

Then of course this morning I wake up with a runny nose and am coughing >:(

Fecking useless, I bet I'll now have to finish my dissertation with a fever over the weekend  >:( >:( >:( >:(
"Many, also, are the hills that lie between, and we must ascend, by a glorious stairway, from strength to strength."
- Petrarch, 'The Ascent of Mount Ventoux', 1336

« Reply #54 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:06:37 pm »
I don't feel much better today: very weak indeed, and I now have a very odd sensation when I swallow, as if I have a lump in my throat. The slight pressure is there all the time, even when I don't swallow. It's very uncomfortable.

I am seeing the doctor again on Tuesday, as I have to get a sick note for work.  :(

« Reply #55 on: 25 September, 2008, 06:59:19 pm »
My own chest is not very good and I'm off to the GP tomorrow...

My GP did give me some antibiotics after a listen to my chest etc.

He did mention that the current flavour of chest infection is taking two weeks to run its course for most people.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #56 on: 25 September, 2008, 07:41:24 pm »
Me being an awkward and contrary old bugger, the only time I seem to get chest infections is when I've given up smoking...

...which is the opposite of what should happen.

Chin up, Peli my dear!  I would offer to come and rub Vicks on your chest but I'm sure you have a queue of men already waiting - and a Woolly standing guard.  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris S

« Reply #57 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:07:35 pm »
Me being an awkward and contrary old bugger, the only time I seem to get chest infections is when I've given up smoking...

...which is the opposite of what should happen.

I disagree. Stopping smoking is a big upheaval to the body chemistry - and an enormous challenge to the immune system.

I've coached quite a few quitters since doing the deed myself - and a lot of them report infections of various kinds; many involving the respiratory system, or rather bizarrely, the skin.

It's a phase that passes.

For me - I had six months of terrible mouth ulcers after stopping  ::-).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 26 September, 2008, 11:51:07 am »
Doesn't tobacco smoke paralyse the cilia, which effectively clean the lungs of grot?

Stopping smoking starts them working again and suddenly accumulated grot rises to the surface.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #59 on: 27 September, 2008, 09:52:51 am »
Which led me to wonder what's going to happen when my next bi-annual dose of bronchitis shows up.  Last time, it was so bad within 3 days that I had to get a taxi to the GP's surgery.  Will I end up in hospital with pneumonia?

This happened to me 3-4 years ago; a year of chest infections every 6 weeks, on the dot. You could set your watch by them.

All treated with antibiotics, but the last one ended in pneumonia, and then 9 months under the surveillance of the local chest clinic, X-rays, lung function tests, etc. God knows what it would have been like without antibiotics. 'Cured' by changing asthma drugs.  ???  3 years later  :o  I am finally getting round to decent training.

Real chest infections aren't that difficult to diagnose, are they? Get well soon, all of you poor afflicted.

« Reply #60 on: 27 September, 2008, 08:16:57 pm »
How is it going now, Peli??

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #61 on: 27 September, 2008, 09:48:31 pm »
She was good yesterday but got home very tired. And when I got up this morning she was dead to the world until I called her to check on her at 1400.

I managed to get her out on a little walk to the river and back this afternoon. She is now cooped up on the sofa reading and resting with hot milk and biscuits.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #62 on: 27 September, 2008, 09:59:01 pm »
I managed a day at work yesterday but it totally knackered me. Today was spent sleeping and then a nice walk in the late afternoon sunshine. Not feeling 100% (about 50% in fact) and still yacking up green stuff.  :-X

It doesn't help that ready meals every evening are not the healthiest of fodder (we still don't have a kitchen, in case anyone had missed that nugget  ::-) ).

« Reply #63 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »
Sounds like Woolly is doing a good job  :)

Try a thread asking how to eat healthily without a cooker in the Food and Drink thread - in fact there might already be one. There is bound to be a lot you can do. At least you can eat lots of fruit. Or else just spend a fortune at Deliverance:P

« Reply #64 on: 27 September, 2008, 10:55:26 pm »
Trouble is that we don't have anywhere to prepare or store food, or even wash up (except the bath). Our kitchen is an empty shell, and the contents of the old cupboards are on the floor in the lounge, meaning we have very little space to move about anyway.

Otherwise I'd make a lot of salads, etc.  :-\ Ready meals and takeaways are the only answer.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #65 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:12:58 pm »
Do you want to borrow our camping stove, Peli? Two burners and a grill are enough to prepare quite a lot of stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #66 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:17:28 pm »
Thanks Wow for the kind offer. Unfortunately we really don't have anywhere to prepare or store food, or wash up, otherwise that would be a good compromise.  :(

« Reply #67 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:56:52 pm »
I think I've got some sort of chest infection... coughing up green, often very thick mucus, for the last 4/5 days. I've got a doctor's appointment but I'm worrying now that perhaps it's just a cold and I'd be wasting their time - I tend to only feel really bad & cough stuff up in the mornings/when I get up, and seem to get better as the day goes on, though I still cough etc.

Oh and hope you're better now peli! :thumbsup:

« Reply #68 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:08:48 pm »
I think I've got some sort of chest infection... coughing up green, often very thick mucus, for the last 4/5 days

I believe that be a chest infection  :thumbsup:

Promble is, you'll go to the doctor and he'll say, probably correctly, "ah well, you're over the worst of it now, go home". 

Think along the lines of 10 days to run its course completely.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #69 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:32:45 am »
Coughing a lot the last couple of days.  Could be an infection, but I'm gonna try hitting it with oral steroid first.  Wouldn't be worth going to doctor for a week or so.
Getting there...

« Reply #70 on: 16 December, 2008, 03:33:08 pm »
I think I've got some sort of chest infection... coughing up green, often very thick mucus, for the last 4/5 days

I believe that be a chest infection  :thumbsup:

Promble is, you'll go to the doctor and he'll say, probably correctly, "ah well, you're over the worst of it now, go home". 

Think along the lines of 10 days to run its course completely.

Yup, that's pretty much what he said - basically that I'm young and fit enough for my body to be able to cope with it, and that if it hasn't gone away by the end of the week to come back, and he'd probably prescribe some antibiotics.