General Category > The Knowledge

Tyres again

(1/2) > >>

cycleman:
I am currently using continental double fighter 3 26/1.9 tyres on my tricon gr but they are after 2 years beginning to perish due to uv and I am getting quite a lot of punctures. So the question for the panel is should I replace them with the same or maybe a set of road slicks around 1.5 .I don't ride in mud as a rule but do cover the occasional bridleway
The slicks appeal in the area of easier rolling but I worry that they may be a compromise to far 🤔

quixoticgeek:

You'd be amazed what slick tyres can do. Last year's race around the Netherlands gravel edition was won on 28mm slicks. Which considering how many other riders were running 50mm+ rubber for the sandy gravelly conditions is damn good going.

J

nancyclist:
I'd probably stick with the Continentals again since you've had good luck with them for 2 years. The slicks might roll a bit easier on the road, but it seems like you do hit some rougher stuff occasionally too.

cycleman:
Well I've ordered the contis but I am still curious about slicks. Are there any recommendations for slicks in26"? :)

freeflow:
I recall one Audax where we had to get a date off a monument.  The monument was in a field of grass and there was a heavy dew.  Riding to the monument it got to the point where the rear wheel was going round but I wasn't moving forward.  Given that this incident was about 0.0000001% of the total amount of riding I do, I'd say slicks would be fine.  If you have to dismount and walk the bike a short distance its not an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version