Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300725 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2075 on: 17 December, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »
Every single day of my life I'll be presented with a temptation.
Drinkers can avoid situations where drink is present. Ditto smokers.

Every single day ex-drinkers and ex-smokers think about it. Every single day the temptation to nip to the shop is there. It's no different. it's impossible to avoid booze and fags completely. They're always there. Either in your mind or right in front of you.
I'm an ex smoker. I can go days without thinking about it. Every day the temptation to smoke is less. I hardly ever fancy a smoke now, after 3 years.
I'll continue to have to eat every day.
The point is, you can rule them out. You can not have the one that leads to many. I'll never really be able to enjoy a smoke (I used to love smoking), because I'd start again. I can't ever not have the one item of food. I can fight to resist the many, the extras, but I can never do without the one that starts the urge.
There's a lot of posts from people on the 'battling the bottle' thread from people who know they can't have just one. They know that one will just lead to many.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2076 on: 17 December, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »
I don't think this should be about who's having the most difficult time. Both situations are very difficult, in different ways - and you're all doing better than me. I should really lose 5 stone but I'm really not motivated.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2077 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:10:57 pm »
I don't think this should be about who's having the most difficult time. Both situations are very difficult, in different ways - and you're all doing better than me. I should really lose 5 stone but I'm really not motivated.
You're absolutely right Kirst. Both situations are difficult. We'd none of us choose either, would we?

But you can't possibly be telling the truth. 5 stone? That's more than me!
And- if you're not bothered, it doesn't matter, does it? You're pretty healthy, aren't you?
Mr Smith has got to pull my lardy frame round a load of audaxes next year on the tandem, and he's getting on a bit. I need to make it as easy as possible for the poor old thing ;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2078 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:34:41 pm »
No, really.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2079 on: 18 December, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
Re giving up for Christmas, I'm going to stick it out this week so I can reach my Christmas target of having lees than a stone to target, then just try to maintain.  I'd like to eat at least one mince pie.

Having a total of nine days off work isn't going to help.  I'd like to think there will be opportunities to get out and put some miles in, but realistically I can't see it happening.  We'll see.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2080 on: 28 December, 2011, 10:49:25 am »
Well, that's it.  Last weigh in for the year, and I only just scraped my first (rather unambitious) target, which had actually been a target last year.

I upped the mileage significantly, and that seemed to be helping, and I wasn't conscious of eating more (before this week, natch), though I guess I must have been.  Total weight loss for the year of approx 2.5kg.

Target for next year is 85kg.  I've got to get serious about this.  10kg loss over the year isn't impossible, and is advisable.

*heavy sigh*
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2081 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:08:33 am »

Target for next year is 85kg.  I've got to get serious about this.  10kg loss over the year isn't impossible, and is advisable.

I take that to mean that your current weight is 95kg.
Coincidentaly(sp) I am 95kg according to this mornings weigh-in.I too need to do something about it since I feel a lot worse than only a couple months ago when I was 5kg lighter.

5kg is a lot of weight to get off the bike ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2082 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
My current weight is precisely 95kg.  And there's too damn much of me. >:(
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2083 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:41:01 am »
I'm dreading weigh in at SW tomorrow.  I'm just glad that the scales are not of the 'speak your weight' variety, if they were I'd be greeted with 'one at a time please!'.

I'm sure the post Christmas austerity will see normal service resumed fairly quickly. I'm almost glad to be back at work on friday, just to get back on the bike.

LEE

« Reply #2084 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:46:47 am »
Well, that's it.  Last weigh in for the year, and I only just scraped my first (rather unambitious) target, which had actually been a target last year.

I upped the mileage significantly, and that seemed to be helping, and I wasn't conscious of eating more (before this week, natch), though I guess I must have been.  Total weight loss for the year of approx 2.5kg.

*heavy sigh*

10kg over a year is a very sensible target for a 95kg person.  200grams a week.

This makes more sense to my pre-decimal brain in lbs/oz.  Just 1/2lb a week is 26 lbs a year.  Let's call that 2 stone. Doing that would put me into healthy BMI range.

1/2lb a week is very achieveable and a sensible "pace" to lose weight so there really are no excuses.

That's my plan.

Meanwhile I intend to continue to enjoy my rapid post-PBP weight gain until Jan 2nd.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2085 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:57:52 am »
there really are no excuses.

I reckon I could find one

« Reply #2086 on: 28 December, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »

I reckon I could find some chocolate on my way to find an excuse :-\.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2087 on: 28 December, 2011, 03:52:22 pm »
I did :-[
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2088 on: 28 December, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
Chin up, people. No one ever said it was going to be easy. In fact, it's bloody hard.

I'm kind of lucky at the moment in that I'm too poor to get fat - I treat myself to the occasional beer, but I can't afford to drink or eat as much as I'd like. This has been an unusually moderate Christmas for me.  :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #2089 on: 28 December, 2011, 11:49:57 pm »

I reckon I could find some chocolate on my way to find an excuse :-\.

I enjoy being slim and light more than I enjoy eating nice food in large quantities.  This is something my brain tricks me into forgetting.

My brain is my enemy, it tricks me into eating too much despite knowing I prefer to be slim.  I blame my caveman ancestors.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2090 on: 29 December, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
Clarion, I think this is a perspective issue:
Total weight loss for the year of approx 2.5kg.

Take a step back. Ten years from now, if you've lost 2.5kg a year (or even most years, with a few NoChange thrown in) - how would that look? Pretty fantastic, I'd bet, especially compared to your (non-cycling) peers.

Keep Calm and Carry On!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2091 on: 29 December, 2011, 03:44:24 pm »
Thanks, matt.  That helps.

I re-started cycling at 116kg in 2006, so I have lost 20kg in that time, even if it does seem frustratingly slow at times.  Still got a good 10kg I can afford to lose.

Particularly appreciate your words of support. :)
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2092 on: 30 December, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
Well I just checked the scales at a whopping 122.4kg :( I think it's finally twigging that I need to do something about this diet wise as I've been kidding myself that I would cycle myself thin without changing my diet which isn't working.

I now know I prefer being able to cycle comfortably to eating large quantities, so I'm going for some decent reduction in mass this year. I've never really done dieting before (as my weight probably shows) so any pointers would be very welcome.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2093 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:23:12 am »
I keep peeking in here and thinking "My God! Why do they want to lose weight when they're already feathers?" and then thinking that I ought to do something about my weight.

Just looking at McShrooms 122kg made me think a bit more and I just bullied the scales to tell me how bad it is.  It's BAD! 127.8kg!
Last day of the Old Year and, I hope, Last Day of the "I'll deal with it Some time" attitude.
I've done some cycling on four of the last five days and it was made clear to me that the Brooks Bone was feeling it with the lard and gasping for breath on the slightest incline is not joyfull.
It's going to be a slow and difficult one but it has to be!  Be prepared for some Heavy Duty whining over the next year or so!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2094 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:28:45 am »
I think slow and difficult is what I'm resigned to as well, but I got myself into this state, so I suppose I should be able to get myself out of it again.

Well done on getting out on the bike. I've been travelling (without the bike) so haven't been cycling for a week. Something I intend to sort tomorrow.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2095 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:03:21 am »
I've lost 3kg in the last 3 weeks and am therefore inspired by success.

I'm quite astonished that someone as fundamentally lazy and greedy as me has managed to lose weight over Christmas.

I'd be :smug: were it not that 3 kg are a drop in the ocean of lard, and there's a hell of a long way to go.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2096 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:08:57 am »
I've lost 3kg in the last 3 weeks and am therefore inspired by success.

You are my hero :thumbsup:

I've found your 3kg.It's hanging around my waist & moobs ::-)
That's an astonishing achievement at this time time of traditional gluttony*.It's also an incentive to keep on keeping on,is it not?

*it is for me anyhow:ymmv

« Reply #2097 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:29:21 am »
Having not made my target of 95 kgs  I aim to continue the weight loss but a bit quicker would be good.  12 kgs in 12 months is a bit too slow.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2098 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
12kg in 12 months is not at all shabby.It has a certain symmetry don'tyathink?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2099 on: 31 December, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »
I have piled on the lard recently and need to lose 22kg. Have done it before (lost 51kg ten years ago, not all has yet returned) but it's harder to motivate oneself. This extra lard is due to less cycling and getting sloppy and eating whatever, whenever I want.

I have downloaded a good iPhone app to track my food (tried several before I located one that will suit) and hope that this inspires me to look a bit more closely at what I consume.

Well done boab, you've lost the weight I've put on recently!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk