Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300410 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2150 on: 04 January, 2012, 09:00:19 pm »
During today's team meeeting, remarkably, I managed to resist the tempation of the swiss roll and the chocolate santas colleagues had brought in, and had a banana instead.

Disconcertingly worthy, but oh it felt good!  :smug:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #2151 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:32:28 am »
I had a real struggle in the biscuit aisle yesterday. I could so easily have splashed out less than a quid on a pack of coconut snowballs and eaten the lot.
I contacted my sponsor and was reminded of the motivation.
One day at a time people. If we resist we'll reap the rewards.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2152 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:19:08 am »
Well done.  The problem is that there are no major heroics, just a great many little acts of forbearance.  I'll remind myself of this later.  :)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2153 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:22:54 am »
I'm developing a strategy of "thinking oneself into thin-fit" ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2154 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:37:12 am »
The bourbons were being passed round yesterday afternoon. I resisted. The way to do it is to remind yourself that they're just a cheap confection of flour, sugar, fat and cocoa and not a genuine gourmet treat. The satisfaction of a bourbon biscuit is too minor and fleeting to be worth the calorific cost. If you're going to break the rules, at least make sure you're doing it for something that merits it. This is easier said than done, of course, but somehow I managed it.

The real test comes at lunchtime today when, apparently, we're getting a consignment of Domino's pizzas delivered to the office. Fortunately, I don't actually like Domino's pizzas all that much anyway*, but I'll still struggle to convince myself of the truth of that when they actually turn up...

d.

*they tend to be stodgy, laden with cheap meat of dubious identity and provenance, and the sauce they use is far too sweet for my taste; Pizza Express pizzas would be a different matter.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2155 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:40:04 am »
I had a real struggle in the biscuit aisle yesterday. I could so easily have splashed out less than a quid on a pack of coconut snowballs and eaten the lot.
I contacted my sponsor and was reminded of the motivation.
One day at a time people. If we resist we'll reap the rewards.

Definitely. And just don't walk down the biscuit aisle.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2156 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »
Just got back from SW and I'm pleased to report a loss of 6.5 lbs this week.   I'm sure battling the wind this week has helped.

« Reply #2157 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »
I am coming to the conclusion that most of my 'empty' calories are from wine, and therefore eating the same but with no wine might in itself do the trick. I am planning to test this theory until memories of new year hangovers fade and my resolve gets put to the test.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2158 on: 05 January, 2012, 07:47:13 pm »
Just got back from SW and I'm pleased to report a loss of 6.5 lbs this week.   I'm sure battling the wind this week has helped.

WELL DONE!
Told you so...

« Reply #2159 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:12:47 pm »
I am coming to the conclusion that most of my 'empty' calories are from wine, and therefore eating the same but with no wine might in itself do the trick. I am planning to test this theory until memories of new year hangovers fade and my resolve gets put to the test.

That's my strategy for January. I indulged somewhat enthusiastically in December. I note that Dave Millar is giving up booze for the year. I think I'll just see how January goes.

« Reply #2160 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »
Yet again, fboab wishes she drank more, just so she could give it up.... ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #2161 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:19:01 pm »

Careful what you wish for. It's Quite Hard to give it up, so it turns out.

« Reply #2162 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »

Careful what you wish for. It's Quite Hard to give it up, so it turns out.
I did this a few pages ago. It's easy to give up stuff you're not bothered about. I could give up pilchards any time too.
I think you can walk down the biscuit aisle without having to phone a friend, no?

« Reply #2163 on: 05 January, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »
I was feeling quite smug when I got on the scales yesterday morning.  Only a pound or two up over Christmas.  Not been on the bike (or doing anything else physical) for several weeks.  That's not at all bad.  :smug:

Then I entered the weight into my spreadsheet for this year.   It's a copy of last year's so had last year's starting weight still in the first row. 
Half a stone over the year, and that from a base which was already causing trouser fitment issues.  :face palm:

And I've still not been on the bike yet this year.  So strict dieting is the order of the day from now on (or rather, back to the regime which helped last time). 
And I have already swum further this year than any year since 2007, so maybe this will work...

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2164 on: 06 January, 2012, 06:13:52 am »

WELL DONE!
Told you so...

Thank you, you were certainly right on the money there.

citoyen

« Reply #2165 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:00:36 pm »
After using myfitnesspal for a few days, I've come to the conclusion that on the whole, I like it better than mynetdiary. One thing I find particularly useful is being able to use the iPhone app offline, which you can't do with mynetdiary. Also the database seems to be better stocked, which I suspect is due to having more users.

d.

Chris S

« Reply #2166 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:20:07 pm »
After using myfitnesspal for a few days, I've come to the conclusion that on the whole, I like it better than mynetdiary. One thing I find particularly useful is being able to use the iPhone app offline, which you can't do with mynetdiary. Also the database seems to be better stocked, which I suspect is due to having more users.

d.

Possibly more British users too - it seems very savvy with regard to UK Supermarket brand items.

« Reply #2167 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »
It doesn't take long to build up your own lists of regularly used items with MFP. Quite handy to be able to use pre-defined meals as well, especially if you eat the same thing for breakfast every day.

I'm going to have to start using it again. My tendency to eat more energy rich foods in colder weather is having the inevitable result. Still at 83.5 kg I am nowhere near the 92 kg or so that I was at this time last year.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2168 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »
Without the veg*nism thread, the top 5 threads on this board would be about "Weight", and 3 of those are stickies!

What does this say to the world about YACF cyclists?!?   :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2169 on: 06 January, 2012, 08:15:14 pm »
Considering how often the top five threads contain stories about CAIK, I'd guess the results are pretty obvious :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2170 on: 07 January, 2012, 10:30:51 am »
Well, my wife has got herself a Fitbit and I must say, first impressions are that it's a very nifty bit of kit with a good website to back it up. And signing up for premium membership doesn't seem to be necessary to use most of the features, which is good.

Also, coming soon (currently in beta testing), is the Fitbit myfitnesspal app.

d.

« Reply #2171 on: 07 January, 2012, 04:07:37 pm »
Well, my wife has got herself a Fitbit and I must say, first impressions are that it's a very nifty bit of kit with a good website to back it up. And signing up for premium membership doesn't seem to be necessary to use most of the features, which is good.

d.

The Fitbit looks interesting, but I'm wondering whether the wireless tracker would know that you are cycling and be able to work out how many calories you are using given it won't give the same motion as walking. Is there a way to manually add cycled miles to the app if not?

« Reply #2172 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:11:17 pm »

d.

Looks good to me too! Maybe a good present for my partner. :)
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2173 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »

Just to be awkward I'll use a space-saving slimmed-down chart.  ;)

If you’re being awkward then I’ll have to put in a work-around to the graphing programme to make sure it still works for everyone else who isn’t being awkward. Thanks.  :P

I think a penny has just dropped: are you telling me that the purpose of that visually ... er ... idiosyncratic weight loss template is so that it can be automatically read by some sort of graphing tool? I'll use it if it helps in any way.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2174 on: 07 January, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »

Just to be awkward I'll use a space-saving slimmed-down chart.  ;)

If you’re being awkward then I’ll have to put in a work-around to the graphing programme to make sure it still works for everyone else who isn’t being awkward. Thanks.  :P

I think a penny has just dropped: are you telling me that the purpose of that visually ... er ... idiosyncratic weight loss template is so that it can be automatically read by some sort of graphing tool? I'll use it if it helps in any way.

Yep, you made him write a bunch more code  ;)