Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300599 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2225 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:11:51 am »
Losing weight for me appears to be harder when I'm active and 43 than when I'm not and 35.
I'm really rather feeling that Life is Not Fair at the moment.
That is not necessarily a bad thing . Especially when you have done exercise you did not do before and are hurting because of it. Because then you body will need to repair tissue and strengthen it and one of the things he does in order to achieve that is flushing the afflicted parts with water. Which is what will make you sigh if you step on the scales as it can be quite a lot, but it will go once the job is done. You might watch how your weight changes with rest days and after heavy exercise and then only compare your weight under similar circumstances.

The other thing: Even slim women can store that much water in the last days of their monthly cycle and loose it within one or two days once menstruation starts.

Short version: You probably did well, don't fret.

« Reply #2226 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:25:14 am »
I’m notsototalnewbie on MFP. Very happy to be ‘friends’ with you lot, I never really got into the forums there because I spend enough time online already. I’m pretty much on maintenance at the moment so I’m trying to make sure I don’t slide. My diary is currently private, but I’ve not logged stuff for the last few days anyway, mainly because I need to put in some homemade meals in and I haven’t done it yet. I’m not sure I want to make it public just yet anyway.

I've put on a kg since I restarted spinning but I'm not too bothered for the reasons outlined above. Boab, I think you are doing brilliantly!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2227 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:39:58 am »
fboab, I stepped on the scales this morning and had gone up almost a kilo. Now I have been sticking absolutely to the diet with no slips (January willpower is quite strong) and have been under my target calories every day for 10 days. I put this down to variations in water retention and possibly building a bit more muscle mass in my legs with the additional cycling I am doing.

Even if I weigh a kilo more, I actually feel much better/fitter/healthier this week than I did last week and it also feels as if my jeans are a tad looser. Maybe they aren't, but although initially rather disappointed by the scales (which can be a bit random in their reading) I am assuming that next week's weigh-in will show double the weight lost, hopefully.

Oh, and MyFitnessPal is very kind as if you lose weight it tells your friends "Auntie Helen has lost 0.6kg since her last weigh-in" but if you put it on it doesn't say anything!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2228 on: 11 January, 2012, 11:40:20 am »
Me, Glasgowjim  :thumbsup:, but where's the group to join ?

There isn't a yacf group but you can add other people as friends (I've added you and NSTN and if you accept me as a friend, you can link through from my profile to other yacfers).

I'm not really into the social side of it but as DrM says, it's quite terrifyingmotivational to know that other people can see what you're doing and witness any lapses.

Of course, if that's all a bit too Big Brother for you, maybe best not to add any friends. But you can keep your diary private if you like, even from your friends.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2229 on: 11 January, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »
I'm using mfp. It's good for keeping track of the snacking.

I think we can safely say that the WW points thing is not working for me, this time.

On MyFitnessPal with the rest of you.
And quite pissed off, to be honest. Shit times, and I didn't wallow in chocolate, and I still get shit results on the scales.
Losing weight for me appears to be harder when I'm active and 43 than when I'm not and 35.

Sometimes it's like that. Really unfair >:(. My sister didn't get on with the most recent version of WW and one of the previous incarnations was a bit variable. I never found that using the exercise points worked - apart from anything I frequently earned the maximum for week in the first day. (I cycled the 23 mile round trip to the class ;D!) Sometimes a (brief) wallow in chocolate lets your body know that it's not on starvation rations so that it will start losing weight again [/unscientific anectdata that works for me (sometimes)]
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2230 on: 11 January, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »
I am actually UP 0.3k! :o I know I have been in a self destructive mindset for a few weeks and, knowing what I have been doing, that isn't actually as bad as it could have been.
It all changes NOW! Next week I will have something positive to report.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2231 on: 11 January, 2012, 05:27:45 pm »
I'm not doing any structured diet plan 'cause I don't have the self discipline,a.k.a. ICBA

I'm simply eating less bread,biscuits & such like but more fruit & having smaller portions at breakfast & evening meal.

« Reply #2232 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »
I'm not doing any structured diet plan 'cause I don't have the self discipline,a.k.a. ICBA

I'm simply eating less bread,biscuits & such like but more fruit & having smaller portions at breakfast & evening meal.

That's about as structured as my diet plan TBH. The main reason I'm recording it in an app is to make me aware of what is in my meals calorie wise, and for the 'if I eat this I will have to record it' factor. I find it much easier to do extra cycling than cook special meals. I am using the 'fail-safe environment' method of avoiding crisps and chocolate ...  they are not in the house.

citoyen

« Reply #2233 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »
That's about as structured as my diet plan TBH. The main reason I'm recording it in an app is to make me aware of what is in my meals calorie wise, and for the 'if I eat this I will have to record it' factor.

Exactly the same here.

d.

simonp

« Reply #2234 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:34:51 pm »

That's about as structured as my diet plan TBH. The main reason I'm recording it in an app is to make me aware of what is in my meals calorie wise, and for the 'if I eat this I will have to record it' factor. I find it much easier to do extra cycling than cook special meals. I am using the 'fail-safe environment' method of avoiding crisps and chocolate ...  they are not in the house.

It's the OMG how much fat factor :)

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:55:20 pm »
90.6 Kg today. Thats 200.0 lbs!
A significant milestone in my mind.

« Reply #2236 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »

I don't need an app for that, I just need a mirror!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2237 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
I had thought of taking weekly profile photos of my massive belly so that everyone on here could watch it shrink! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #2238 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:02:44 pm »

I don't need an app for that, I just need a mirror!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id379516970?mt=8

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2239 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »
90.6 Kg today. Thats 200.0 lbs!
A significant milestone in my mind.

Well done Parsley  :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2240 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:11:36 pm »
And quite pissed off, to be honest. Shit times, and I didn't wallow in chocolate, and I still get shit results on the scales.

IME (&YMMV) losing weight is much easier when inactive; no bonky badness!

Keep working on the weight loss but don't expect to ride a bike using hip fat as fuel; I never could.

« Reply #2241 on: 11 January, 2012, 10:04:41 pm »

Have just signed up as well.  Now you can all watch me, when i get some friends.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2242 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:24:04 am »
Walked into the kitchen at work today, and there was a big box of doughnuts :(

Fortunately, they are Krispy Kremes, so I know they are completely inedible :D

Currently struggling with the temptation of my mid-morning chocolate.  I know it's only habit, but it's what I do. :-\

I know why it happens - MFP tells me that I burn more riding to work than I take on board from breakfast (even though that's not small).  But...MUST...RESIST...
Getting there...

« Reply #2243 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:30:50 am »
Got a tub of peanuts here, so that's a handy and healthy alternative for me for the mid morning snack.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2244 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:31:00 am »
I have a similar urge which I'm also resisting. Apparently Paul McKenna hypnotises you (or rather teaches you to hypnotise yourself) into associating chocolate with turd. I'm not sure I could subscribe to that though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2245 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:31:56 am »
I showed great restraint yesterday at the afternoon tea stop.

There were delicious looking cakes in several varieties and all I had was a pot of tea. I was acutely aware that the proximity of the 11ses and lunch stops had caused my beans-on-toast to be closely followed by my chilli con carne. However, I could easily have demolished a large slice of chocolate cake.

This morning the scales rewarded me with a variety of weights between 115.1kg and 116.1 kg. That's at least 4 kg less than New Year's Day. According to a calorie calculator I found on line, I burned over 4600 calories yesterday. I probably consumed over 3000.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2246 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:32:36 am »
I have a similar urge which I'm also resisting. Apparently Paul McKenna hypnotises you (or rather teaches you to hypnotise yourself) into associating chocolate with turd. I'm not sure I could subscribe to that though.
I associate the two very closely. Indeed, all too frequently I am the agent that turns one into another.

« Reply #2247 on: 16 January, 2012, 11:34:20 am »
I have discovered it is very hard not to comfort eat during night shifts. I ate many more calories during the two 15 hour shifts I just worked than I did on normal days last week. That's bad news when it's too icy to ride in and I don't yet have N+1 to fit ice tyres to. Back on the straight and narrow today after I have a sleep.

citoyen

« Reply #2248 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
Fortunately, they are Krispy Kremes, so I know they are completely inedible :D

Diabetes in a box!  :thumbsup:

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2249 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:15:06 pm »