Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300397 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2500 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:20:22 pm »
I like that it scales fats etc according to energy use. Live strong didn't seem to do that which meant a well balanced high intake diet went into the red on fat too easily.

You are literally eating 3 times the number of calories as me  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2501 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:36:24 pm »
I'll be interested to see how things pan out by Wednesday.

I've successfully avoided the evening snacks and have reduced my portions, but have been dogged by a migraine over the past 3 days or so, which I think is now beginning to shift. I'm fortunate in that I don't get migraines nearly as severely as I used to do (between the ages of about 5 and 30 a migraine would knock me flat for a whole day, and I'd invariably vomit as part of the fun) but there are other physiological side-effects, one of which seems to be the slowing down of the digestive system.

I'm feeling hungry a lot of the time and consciously avoiding stuffing myself with cheese & crackers, but settling for an apple or an orange, as well as a cup of coffee.I haven't had a pint of beer for over a week - but then this past week I've done a lot less cycling as the weather has been so cold.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #2502 on: 06 February, 2012, 10:52:17 pm »
I like that it scales fats etc according to energy use. Live strong didn't seem to do that which meant a well balanced high intake diet went into the red on fat too easily.

You are literally eating 3 times the number of calories as me  :o

I was over budget by some way yesterday, though. However I didn't eat nearly enough last week which was making me slow on the bike. A good feed yesterday has fixed that.  :smug:

« Reply #2503 on: 07 February, 2012, 07:57:42 pm »
Well, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in. I succumbed on Sunday to Tesco's bargain offer of 12 hot cross buns for £1. The packet(s) now seem to be empty...  :facepalm:

They were good, though

« Reply #2504 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:42:13 pm »
You're not the only one worried about tomorrow.  :(

In my case it was dinner out with friends on both Friday and Saturday evenings, and the post village hall committee meeting wine requirement last night.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2505 on: 07 February, 2012, 09:44:20 pm »
Well, I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's weigh in. I succumbed on Sunday to Tesco's bargain offer of 12 hot cross buns for £1. The packet(s) now seem to be empty...  :facepalm:

They were good, though

We also somehow acquired a packet of 6 hot cross buns on Saturday. Probably down to the fact that I put them into the trolley even though there was no room in the panniers for them (they fit under the bungee cords on the rackpack quite well, doncha know). And at least four of them ended up being scoffed me rather than Rob The Perpetually Skinny  :facepalm:

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2506 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:25:58 am »
Been training well and eating properly over the last 6 weeks.
12,9 kg lost and gained 3 kg muscles.
So my muscle mass are at present 75.6 kg which gives me a bmi > 25 in muscles alone  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2507 on: 08 February, 2012, 06:42:13 am »
No change. :(

I've been very sensible this week, so I'd hoped for more progress.  I expect my metabolism is reacting to the change in regimen.
Getting there...

« Reply #2508 on: 08 February, 2012, 07:35:05 am »
Well, I'm loving this.
Up early every day for half an hour of vigorous exercise, a feeling of constant deprivation and my reward?

Up nearly a kilo.

Yay me.

Simonb

« Reply #2509 on: 08 February, 2012, 07:42:47 am »
Up early every day for half an hour of vigorous exercise, a feeling of constant deprivation and my reward?

Up nearly a kilo.

Yay me.

The gain may be due to the additional exercise. There a reason for this I can't remember right now.

Ask Dr Helen.

essexian

« Reply #2510 on: 08 February, 2012, 07:46:01 am »
Half a kilo off....been a bit of a struggle this week what with business trips away and all that. Not been able to do any exercise as well as repairs to our central heating system took up most of the weekend  :-[

Oh and I am having some medical tests at the moment for a condition which makes losing weight difficult....  :-[

jimbhoy

« Reply #2511 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:01:32 am »
Slow progress here, but the saving grace is it's still going down about half a kilo a week, long may it continue.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2512 on: 08 February, 2012, 08:40:52 am »
Have lost 6.2kgs since the beginning of Jan - that's the weight of my dog, which is interesting when I pick her up! I guess the plateau will hit about now though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2513 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:00:14 am »
Well, I'm loving this.

Up nearly a kilo.

Yay me.
:(It's depressing when that happens. It's all that toned muscle you're putting on. :-* Don't give up! It's got to start moving again soon.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2514 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:10:36 am »
Well, I'm loving this.

Up nearly a kilo.

Yay me.

Well done on the exercise, keep it up  :thumbsup:
Are you changing shape? I've not lost any weight since November time. Still hovering around the 15st mark here despite running a lot more than I did before then (before then was zero)
Depending on what I've drunk it can vary 2-3kg up or down.

Rich

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2515 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:21:08 am »
Up early every day for half an hour of vigorous exercise

Sorry, am I the only one reading this who sees boab write that and thinks 'oh aye?'...

Yes?  Just me and my filthy mind then.  Oh well.

Boab - yay you, indeed.  Sticking with it when it's a bit tough going is very much worth a yay.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2516 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:47:14 am »
Quite surprised this morning. 113 kg was down 900g from last week. It may be a glitch in the scales, but I'll have that.

The trouble is, it will make it harder to get the scales to produce a similar glitch next week!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2517 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:55:13 am »
Hmm, down 0.5kg again (seems to be becomming the overall trend) :)

I've just played with an ideal weight calculator, and apparently I would hit the top end of the ideal range in March 2013 at this rate. I think I need to up the target to 2lbs/wk if I want to get things moving (which apparently is a little over 500 kcals/day less).

If I could get out on my bike a bit more it would help, the ice (and dragging snow tyres around on it) is starting to get to me at the moment and I'm not getting in as many miles on the bike as I would like.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2518 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:55:53 am »
Moving in the right direction again, but still 1kg above the 'upper limit' I had set for myself.  Not to worry - Friday I start 10 days of holiday where I will be driven everywhere and have no opportunity for cycling, plus lots of food on offer.  I do love my family, but this trip will have a nasty impact on my waist.   :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2519 on: 08 February, 2012, 09:59:24 am »
Well, I'm loving this.

Up nearly a kilo.

Yay me.

boab, don't lose heart.  You seem to be down on where you were two weeks ago.  There are ups & downs.

And well done on fitting in the exercise.  Remember that increasing muscle mass can offset fat loss.
Getting there...

« Reply #2520 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
fboab, you deserve a high-5 for that progress!!!  Don't be down on yourself, just keep it up.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2521 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:07:38 am »

same here.
slowly slowly catchee monkey.

This loss is due almost entirely to a change in diet & eating habits.If I could break my lazygit lifestyle & do some exercise,such as riding a bike regularly ::-),there might be more loss.
Then again there might be a fat-to-muscle conversion which could be counter productive given that muscle is heavier than fat.
it's likely that boab now has more muscle & less fat.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2522 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:35:23 am »

same here.
slowly slowly catchee monkey.

This loss is due almost entirely to a change in diet & eating habits.If I could break my lazygit lifestyle & do some exercise,such as riding a bike regularly ::-),there might be more loss.
Then again there might be a fat-to-muscle conversion which could be counter productive given that muscle is heavier than fat.
it's likely that boab now has more muscle & less fat.

I could do with upping the exercise too, as I've been copping out of cycling far too often with the weather recently and haven't really started doing the hiking I was going to do as it's replacement. Being aware of what I eat has been quite an eye opener, and tracking it all does seem to be having the effect of pushing me towards better choices.

I'm sure your exercise is having an effect of adding muscle mass boab. Fat-to-muscle might be a short term weight gain, but longer term all that muscle needs more energy to tick-over, so overall all the exercise should be lining you up for a greater loss later (hopefully) ;)

Quote from: 'myfitnesspall'
burned 86 calories doing 20 minutes of "Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load"
What's the load you keep carrying round boab? I know I used to have a friend who was walking round with a rucksack full of porridge oats once when she was training for the coast-to-coast walk.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2523 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:40:36 am »
Up early every day for half an hour of vigorous exercise

Sorry, am I the only one reading this who sees boab write that and thinks 'oh aye?'...

Yes?  Just me and my filthy mind then.  Oh well.

Boab - yay you, indeed.  Sticking with it when it's a bit tough going is very much worth a yay.

Well, you've just got a dirty mind, haven't you?  O:-)

So have I.

Keep at it boab! You may be up this week, but you'll probably go down next.

« Reply #2524 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:45:56 am »
Boab - stick at it. It will come off. Look at the trend, not at the individual measurement. The weight is coming off.