Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300813 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2525 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

Well, you've just got a dirty mind, haven't you?  O:-)

So have I.

Keep at it boab! You may be up this week, but you'll probably go down next.

I can count 4 entendres there Wow.
Good work  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2526 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:51:17 am »

Can you track the calories for that in whatever-the-app-you're-all-using-is-called?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2527 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
I'm not going to check on a work computer, but i wouldn't be surprised
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #2528 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:03:24 am »
Livestrong does but my fitness pal doesn't. I already checked.

« Reply #2529 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:40:50 am »
Half an hour's vigorous morning exercise is 5km row, 5 km run, turbo or Jillian weirdos 30 day shred.
I've no idea what else I might be doing. Not that only lasts 30 minutes, anyway.

As to the 15lb load, it's the weight of my burdens. Or today, it was cake & marmalade for my soon-to-be-former colleagues in the brewery.

« Reply #2530 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:50:22 am »
Half an hour's vigorous morning exercise is 5km row, 5 km run, turbo or Jillian weirdos 30 day shred.
I've no idea what else I might be doing. Not that only lasts 30 minutes, anyway.

That is fantastic. What deficit are you averaging on MFP? What's your BMR?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2531 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:56:10 am »

Can you track the calories for that in whatever-the-app-you're-all-using-is-called?

If not, you could add it as "protein shake (generic)".

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2532 on: 08 February, 2012, 12:21:28 pm »
No net calorie consumption by that rationale: protein shake in vs, erm, pushups?

simonp

« Reply #2533 on: 08 February, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »
No net calorie consumption by that rationale: protein shake in vs, erm, pushups?

Perpetual motion!

« Reply #2534 on: 08 February, 2012, 01:05:08 pm »
I weighed myself last night and I was the heaviest I have ever been. I came in at 120kg. I would like to be at least less than 95kg so I can ride a decent pair of time trial wheels. I am now feeling depressed and I am going to eat something to make me feel better! ;D
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #2535 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:51:47 pm »
Amazingly I've still lost 0.3kg even after my weekend's pigout. When I was trying to lose weight it wouldn't come off. Now that I'm somewhere near where I want to be and I'm trying to ease back (but not go back up again), I'm still going down.

« Reply #2536 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:40:26 pm »
I've had a bad week due having baked an excessively large birthday cake last Saturday which we are still trying to eat up, and having to rest a painful knee for most of the week too so few miles. I've gained 0.5kg, but I get a huge amount of variation due to hormones so it might disappear randomly at any point.

I am wondering if MFP is double counting some of the calories I am burning off because I chose an 'active' activity level but I log all my cycling exercise as separate items. If I took away the cycling then my activity level could probably be more accurately described as 'blob'. I even walk the dogs by bike and I rarely go anywhere without cycling.
Simonp is coming to stay for the next few days so I might get more exercise :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #2537 on: 09 February, 2012, 02:53:33 am »
I'm going to excuse myself from this trial for a week or two as I have too much stuff going on. The most imprtant for me is to not say "what's the use" and go back to the cigarettes, Few close calls this week, and I am eating in the place of Tabs so I will almost certainly "Hit the Heights" on the Lardiness journey and don't want the distraction of more pressure on my mind. I'll Bee Bakk!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2538 on: 09 February, 2012, 07:49:47 am »
I am wondering if MFP is double counting some of the calories I am burning off because I chose an 'active' activity level but I log all my cycling exercise as separate items. If I took away the cycling then my activity level could probably be more accurately described as 'blob'. I even walk the dogs by bike and I rarely go anywhere without the bike
i put myself down as sedentary for entirely that reason.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2539 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:22:14 am »
I am wondering if MFP is double counting some of the calories I am burning off because I chose an 'active' activity level but I log all my cycling exercise as separate items. If I took away the cycling then my activity level could probably be more accurately described as 'blob'. I even walk the dogs by bike and I rarely go anywhere without the bike
i put myself down as sedentary for entirely that reason.

Me too. I’m desk-bound (or sofa-bound) when I’m not cycling, spinning or walking the dog.

« Reply #2540 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:26:01 am »
I am wondering if MFP is double counting some of the calories I am burning off because I chose an 'active' activity level but I log all my cycling exercise as separate items. If I took away the cycling then my activity level could probably be more accurately described as 'blob'. I even walk the dogs by bike and I rarely go anywhere without cycling.

Yes, it will be.  The activity level is supposed to represent general activty that you wouldn't log. If you had a manual type job you migt describe it as 'active'.  I use the blob setting and then add all activity, including cycling and even 20 min walk to the shop.  I also log all my cycling as 'moderate' regardless of whether it was moderate or hard.  I even log hard turbo sessions as 'moderate stationary bike'.  Definitely don't use their speeds as an indicator, perception of effort is much better.  Before I started using MFP 18 months ago I used to manually log food intake & exercise (& protein vs carb intake etc.), and it's a pain in the arse to calculate calorie usage well.

« Reply #2541 on: 09 February, 2012, 10:50:34 am »

Yes, it will be.  The activity level is supposed to represent general activty that you wouldn't log. If you had a manual type job you migt describe it as 'active'.  I use the blob setting and then add all activity, including cycling and even 20 min walk to the shop.  I also log all my cycling as 'moderate' regardless of whether it was moderate or hard.  I even log hard turbo sessions as 'moderate stationary bike'.  Definitely don't use their speeds as an indicator, perception of effort is much better.  Before I started using MFP 18 months ago I used to manually log food intake & exercise (& protein vs carb intake etc.), and it's a pain in the arse to calculate calorie usage well.

Yes, same here.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2542 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:01:40 am »
Ditto.  I put sedentary for my job.  Sedimentary more like.

For the purposes of science, I weighed myself again this morning, to check if something odd had happened.  I've been quite active all week, and kept the food levels down, but lost nothing at all.

So, this morning, the scales read: Exactly the same as yesterday. :(
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2543 on: 09 February, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
Yep I'm a down as blob, and I always log as the <10mph for the cycling as I think it over reads.

The daft thing is that the slower I go, the longer the route would take - therefore on the MFP thingy I would be burning more calories  ???

Oh, and I just looked at my FITECH report from last September*  and I was 1.5kg than I am now** . I knew I slobbed out for a decent part of November/December but I hadn't realised I'd put on nearly a stone in that time.

*It wasn't a great idea to do it 36hrs after my first 200
**and that was with shoes so probably a bit less comparatively with how I weigh myself now
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2544 on: 09 February, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »
A slight weight gain this week,but I think we are in the same boat,here.Not being able to cycle due to icy roads doesn't help.Still lost about 5kg in the last 6 weeks,so musn't grumble.

« Reply #2545 on: 09 February, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »
Like most other people I I set my MFP status to blob and then record all activity. I then only eat only 1/3 to a 1/2 of the additional "exercise" caloroies back though as i just don't believe it.

I knew I slobbed out for a decent part of November/December but I hadn't realised I'd put on nearly a stone in that time.

It's very easy to do. I've just got rid of about 3 stone. One of which is what I'd put on over the years, but the other two I can quite clearly attribute to putting on in two months or so after my father in law died. I'd been used to a regime of pushing him around Durham at least 4 times a week in his wheelchair. Before he died he was chairbound, stone deaf and with very poor sight. His only pleasure in life was to be pushed up and down the hills and over the cobbles in his chair. Someone did it every day and more often than not it was me, if only because when my wife did it, she didn't have the strength to do it on her own but had to rope in at least one of the kids as well. We had 2 standard routes, the short 2 mile one and the longer 4 mile one (which relied on the cathedral being open because it went in one door and out the other...). I never realised how much I must have been eating to compensate for the exercise, and didn't reduce my intake accordingly after his death. It didn't take long for me to discover that i couldn't fasten my trousers...

« Reply #2546 on: 09 February, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
A slight weight gain this week,but I think we are in the same boat,here.Not being able to cycle due to icy roads doesn't help.Still lost about 5kg in the last 6 weeks,so musn't grumble.

5 kg in 6 weeks is rather impressive  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2547 on: 09 February, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »
I was down a kilo this morning.
Random.

simonp

« Reply #2548 on: 09 February, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »
I’ve been eating around 3,000 calories a day just to hit my target the last few days. It’s made me twice as regular. ::-)

« Reply #2549 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »
I was down a kilo this morning.
Random.
Maybe yesterday's was a blip? it was just waiting to catch up :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.