Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300417 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2575 on: 15 February, 2012, 11:51:11 am »
It's a birthday at work today.  Chocolates, a big cake, and crisps on the kitchen table.  Eek!
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2576 on: 15 February, 2012, 11:59:37 am »
My weight has gone up since Christmas.

I have a definite target now though. I'm best man at a wedding in June. All the men are wearing the same suit, which they don't make in my size.  :-[  I have to drop at least 2 inches off the waist to fit into it.

Now, I just need to stop eating pies and move a bit more.  :(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2577 on: 15 February, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »
My weight has gone up since Christmas.

I have a definite target now though. I'm best man at a wedding in June. All the men are wearing the same suit, which they don't make in my size.  :-[  I have to drop at least 2 inches off the waist to fit into it.

Now, I just need to stop eating pies and move a bit more.  :(

I too am attending a wedding in June.
I have said that I'll arrive wearing lycra* on a bike.My grand daughter has said that she wants to do likewise so I've said we will use the tandem.
Apparently it's not appropriate or acceptable to the happy couple  for a bridesmaid (bride's daughter from first marrige) & father of the bride to execute this plan ;D

* this obviates any issues relating to weight & made to measure morning suits  :demon:

simonp

« Reply #2578 on: 15 February, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »
My weight is currently fluctuating by as much as 2kg during each day. According to MFP it should be falling and I'm doing a reasonable mileage, but have definitely eaten too many meals out over the past 5 days while Simon was here. Hopefully I am just redistributing blubber to muscle, but this could be wishful thinking!
I have altered my base activity level to sedentary so I'm only recording things I do as exercise this week, and it gives me a few less calories I can eat. I'm now staring at my valentines chocolates  :facepalm:

You're doing great. We burned a lot of calories cycling over those 5 days.

essexian

« Reply #2579 on: 16 February, 2012, 06:52:08 am »
0.4kg off this week making 4.6kg in total.

Quite surprised I had lost any this week as, to be honest, I hadn't really tried this week and suffered a visit to the chip shop when away on business  :facepalm: Also, done next to no exercise for all sorts of rubbish reasons (taking the wife out, too cold, rugby on the telly, couldn't be bothered etc etc).

Manning up this morning and off out for a ride in a bit. Well need to go to the bank so will go via Gnosall.

trixie

« Reply #2580 on: 16 February, 2012, 07:29:01 am »
Have signed up on MyFitnessPal which I'm finding quite helpful and fun to use.  But I feel its not really allowing me sufficient calories - anyone else experienced this?

Initially I was told I could have 1200 daily cals....horror!  I 'customised' it to 1400.  During the 5 days I have been on the programme have felt soooo hungry, even after using up the extra calorie allowance from exercise.  Exercise has been a 200k audax, 2 hours of walking and 40 mins of running.  I put down my lifestyle as 'active'. 

What daily calorie targets are the rest of you on?

« Reply #2581 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:09:40 am »
Have signed up on MyFitnessPal which I'm finding quite helpful and fun to use.  But I feel its not really allowing me sufficient calories - anyone else experienced this?

Initially I was told I could have 1200 daily cals....horror!  I 'customised' it to 1400.  During the 5 days I have been on the programme have felt soooo hungry, even after using up the extra calorie allowance from exercise.  Exercise has been a 200k audax, 2 hours of walking and 40 mins of running.  I put down my lifestyle as 'active'. 

What daily calorie targets are the rest of you on?

Mine is 1200

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2582 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:10:03 am »

It may be that you've set the rate of weight loss too high. The simple rule iirc is that 1lb of fat = 3500 calories, so to lose 1lb a week, you need a net daily loss of 500 calories. If you find this too hard to manage, do what I did and set the weight loss to 1/2lb a week!

Also think about what you're eating - try to find foods that are more filling with fewer calories. My biggest weaknesses are cheese and butter but you'll very quickly use up your calorie allowance with cheese and butter without filling yourself up, so I've found that reducing (but not cutting out completely) my cheese and butter intake has made quite a big difference. Others have found similar benefits from reducing how much bread they eat.

I find eating lots of fresh veg a good way to increase the quantity of food I can eat without piling on the calories. High protein food (eg lean meat) is also quite filling.

Initially I was told I could have 1200 daily cals....horror!  I 'customised' it to 1400.

Your individual calorie allowance is based on your activity level and your base metabolic rate, which is calculated from your age, weight, sex and height, so it's hard to say what these figures mean without knowing this information about you. I'm 175cm, 39 and currently weigh 71kg, so to lose 1/2lb (230g) a week, MFP has calculated my daily net calorie allowance at 1780. But the calculation is highly individual - the same calorie intake for a woman who is smaller and lighter than me (eg Feline) would see her quickly putting on weight.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #2583 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:17:52 am »
I'm on 1710 a day, which should (and has, so far) deliver a half kilo a week loss.

It doesn't feel enough, which is probably why it's working.

Received wisdom seems to be to make sure you eat back your exercise calories. Having a net calorie intake of less than 1200 is not seen as healthy in the medium/ long term.

trixie

« Reply #2584 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:33:45 am »
Thanks for the advice and info - i have to admit being a 'nibbler' who snacks rather than eats proper meals, so changing what I eat could be the answer to feeling less hungry.  Difficult to change the habit of a lifetime though...

« Reply #2585 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:54:18 am »
Of course it could be that at 54kg you really don't need to lose any weight.

« Reply #2586 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:02:09 am »
I'm on 1440. But I'm 10 kgs heavier than you and slightly (very slightly ;D) taller.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2587 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:47:56 am »
I'm the same height, on 1200kcal, but crucially... I have a BMI in the 30s.

Losing almost 10% of your body weight when your BMI is already less than 22 seems both foolish and pointless to me.

Does anything jiggle that shouldn't? If so- tone it. There is absolutely no need to be lighter than that when you're over 40, unless you're an athlete, in which case it'll disappear anyway.

There are far too many people posting on this thread who don't actually have a weight problem. I find it very demoralising. It'd be like me talking about my drinking problem in the battling the bottle thread. I don't have one. I'm lucky that way. I do have a piss-poor relationship with food, and hearing about someone wanting to lose 4kg to get to 50kg just makes me want to hit them.

(Honor, this isn't actually anything personal about you, I'm just saying that really, i) do you actually need to lose weight and ii) do you actually need to lose weight)

trixie

« Reply #2588 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:08:25 am »
I will explain!  I made an effort to lay down some 'reserves' for the French ride - thinking I would need it.  But clearly I didn't - the extra half stone was still there after the ride...and still here now.

It's time for it to go.

« Reply #2589 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:28:45 am »
My net for the day is 1600 which is quite easily do able.

As I've been resting my knee (damn IT band + right knee cap not straight) this week I haven't exercised apart from walk at lunch so I've been eating my 1600 a day. Last weekend when I was cycling I still ate under my net calories with the cycling included.

The hardest part for me is the time between breakfast, 6-630 and lunch 12ish. But as others have said if you need to eat fill it with healthy low calorie foods, these needn't be expensive, example raw carrots half a cup full (1 whole carrot) is under 30 calories.

Once my knee is better and I'm back cycling my commute again (40 mile round trip) I know for a fact I'll have to eat more.

As for the time being I don't know when my knee will be feeling better, I've had a bike fit and physiotherapist  but I think (so does the physiotherapist that I will need some in soles built up to straighten my knee up. This will either mean going private (££++) or NHS (waiting lists, god knows how long!) 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2590 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:33:24 am »
My allocation has gone down to 1770.  That's not easy.  I have to eat some exercise calories.  And I have to ride quite a bit to ensure that I can keep the right side.
Getting there...

« Reply #2591 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:39:43 am »
Just out of interest how is 1770 not easy? What parts of the day are you finding hard? (Don't say the whole day!)

citoyen

« Reply #2592 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:47:16 am »
Of course it could be that at 54kg you really don't need to lose any weight.

There is that.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2593 on: 16 February, 2012, 10:49:42 am »
Well, it's just gone down, for a start, so I'm having to revise my approach.  I have a tendency to snack, and a bad habit for chocolate.  And I eat when I'm stressed.  My job is very stressful right now.

I used to eat a lot of bread.  I love the smell, the taste and the texture.  I love making it.  I love toast.  And it's a whole bunch of calories.

With our current working arrangements, I cook for myself and TGL when I get in from work, when I really don't feel like eating.  I can never be certain how much TGL is likely to eat, which makes it hard to plan.  It's hard to motivate yourself to eat properly in those circs.  Easier to grab some bread, cheese & pickle. 
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #2594 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:14:09 am »
There are far too many people posting on this thread who don't actually have a weight problem. I find it very demoralising.

Mea culpa. I'm sorry if it's demoralising, that really isn't the intention.  :(

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2595 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:15:45 am »
...There are far too many people posting on this thread who don't actually have a weight problem...

Me most definitely not included :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2596 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:31:00 am »
There are far too many people posting on this thread who don't actually have a weight problem. I find it very demoralising.

Mea culpa. I'm sorry if it's demoralising, that really isn't the intention.  :(

d.

O, I wouldn't worry. I'm a bit grumpy today is all, I had a completely shitty evening and so ate 8 sausages (HOW MANY??), and then didn't sleep very well.

Sometimes thin people who find it easy/don't have to worry about it just make me angry instead, and that's very motivating.
Obviously, I'm just jealous.

« Reply #2597 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:41:47 am »
Sometimes thin people who find it easy/don't have to worry about it just make me angry instead, and that's very motivating.

Is that like my angry grumpiness when I see so many people cycling huge mileage easily, like clarion, whilst I'm in a world of suffering for the lesser mileage I do? They seem to breeze through it all, whilst I'm in a continual world of muscle pain and fatigue and barely enough recovery, and sometimes it really gets me down. OK, I also do a physical job on top of my commute, but still.

p.s. here's hoping you'll feel better soon.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2598 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:45:24 am »
If you look at my average speed, you'll realise that I don't breeze through the miles at all.  And I'm suffering with a swollen knee where the bikes fell on me on the train.  My job is sedimentary, 'tis true, but most of my riding is commuting.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #2599 on: 16 February, 2012, 11:47:23 am »

If it's any consolation, I certainly haven't found it easy to get my weight back into the "healthy" range and it has taken a long time. And I know that a lapse in concentration would see me soon put it all back on again.

I like food too much. And beer. It will never be easy for me to maintain a healthy weight.

d.