Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300524 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #2800 on: 07 March, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »
Marj says S&S better not be Sue & Sharon ;)

« Reply #2801 on: 07 March, 2012, 05:38:01 pm »
No scales at home so going to miss my weigh in today, but I've lost another cm off my waist.

« Reply #2802 on: 07 March, 2012, 05:40:10 pm »
Jogler, I reckon your best bet is to do something like MFP, weightwatchers or slimming world, so you could have the food you enjoy but watch it and stop it going mad - 1 cake = less potato at dinner sort of thing :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2803 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »
I have not weighed myself; it's inconvenient and difficult.
I seem to be pissing like a trooper, which usually means I'm losing weight.
The months of eschewing croissants at breakfast, Jaffa cakes a couple of hours before lunch, apple pie or syrup sponge & custard and occasional chocolate ought to pay off eventually.
I hope.

simonp

« Reply #2804 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »
I weighed and measured myself just now.

I weigh 69.8kg and I have a 78cm waist. In late 2009 I had an 87cm waist!

simonp

« Reply #2805 on: 07 March, 2012, 11:52:22 pm »
I measured bits at the end of February. I've lost a fair number of cms in a short number of weeks.
However, that's not the point. For once, I don't care about looking better/slimmer (it could be a bad thing, as I really have no spare cash for clothes), or even having more muscle- I've never had a problem in the power part of the equation.
There needs to be fewer kg of me!
Up this week but I suspect it's hormonal and will disappear very soon. Or isn't, and won't. All I can do is keep on keeping on, and work harder at passing Greggs on the way home.

Smaller bits means lower wind resistance, so faster on the flat and on descents. Less so on the tandem. Less fat means less mass that can’t produce power but still consumes energy (but it consumes less energy than muscle). Your BMR might rise if you have more muscle and less fat.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2806 on: 08 March, 2012, 10:45:08 am »

You are me AICMFP. I've not actually measured myself but this time last year, I was struggling to fit into trousers with a 34in (87cm) waist. I now need a belt for trousers with a 32in (81cm) waist.

My weight seems to be fluctuating between 70 and 71kg at the moment. I'm aiming for 68kg but I've plateaued a bit and can't quite break through the 70kg barrier. I'm not concerned though - I'm well within the range of healthy weight for my size, the rest is just fine tuning.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2807 on: 08 March, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »
I've just had a lovely solar-heated shower after my 63-mile ride. The scales are in that bathroom. I tried several times but couldn't get them above 110kg. However, I'm about to have a roast dinner involving duck.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2808 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:05:19 pm »
I had a small victory today!  I have two pairs of trousers which stay at work for when I commute on the bike.  Although both pairs are M&S 34" waist, one is definitely more and the other less generous.  I have tended to wear the more generous pair most of the time.  The other week, I lent the smaller pair to a colleague who'd run in to work (mad fool) and forgotten to pack any trousers.  He returned them washed and ironed, so I decided to try them today.  Although they are definitely still 'snug' they are no longer actually uncomfortable!   :thumbsup:  A little morale booster.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2809 on: 09 March, 2012, 02:37:22 pm »
Rubbish week this week, ate too much. Most days under the 200cal mark but my daily is meant to be 1600, hmmpfff! Cycling most of the day tomorrow, looking forward to that.

« Reply #2810 on: 09 March, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
I weighed and measured myself just now.

Another 78cm waister here too, but was 91cm in 2009!

Simonb

« Reply #2811 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:06:49 am »
Crap couple of weeks for me. Stupidly busy at work. I seem to put on weight more when I'm fatigued; not sure why. Barely been out on the bike as a result.

Will get back on target this week.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2812 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:26:44 am »
Weighed myself today, down 9.2kg since the start of Jan.  myfitnesspal has reduced my daily calories from 1660 to 1600 though. That's almost a chocolate digestive!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2813 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:32:27 am »
Yesterday I had my first Jammy Dodger for longer than I can remember.In truth I also had my second & third J.D. ::-)
that'll be +3kg come Wednesday.The spirit is willing but the (increasing amount of) flesh is weak.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Weight discussion
« Reply #2814 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:46:45 pm »
Didn't weigh myself today but 48 miles is more than enough to see off my food intake so far. In fact Jan and I are considering a take-away curry when we get home, which will more than compensate for the miles ridden.

« Reply #2815 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:08:49 pm »
According to Garmin I just burned off over 6000 calories, now what can I eat?  :demon:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2816 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:09:22 pm »
There's only one answer to that question, surely? Chocolate!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2817 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:14:33 pm »
In the end Jan didn't fancy a take-away so I had a large cheesy omelette. I have to say in all modesty that I've never tasted an omelette better than those I cook myself, and this was an especially good one. I feel pretty full now, to the extent that I wouldn't expect much weight loss in the next day or two, but I don't think my food consumption today has been all that great.

simonp

« Reply #2818 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »
Today my waist is 77cm and 32" jeans really need a belt.

« Reply #2819 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:25:57 pm »

One snag, the only chocolate in the house is Simon's  :-X

simonp

« Reply #2820 on: 10 March, 2012, 11:04:43 pm »

One snag, the only chocolate in the house is Simon's  :-X

I won't miss them. :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2821 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:22:26 am »
Another 900 grammes off from last Sunday. Mostly 109.6kg this morning, although there were glitches below 109.

« Reply #2822 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »
According to mfp (and what I've put in it) I've been under 1200 calories net for the last 7 days.
I haven't lost any weight.
This is quite demoralising. Either I'm overcounting exercise calories, or undercounting food. Either way, it's a bit rubbish. I haven't felt as deprived the last couple of weeks, and clearly, that means I'm not actually depriving myself, and my body is happily surviving on intake, and not converting lard to energy. Damn.

« Reply #2823 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:32:34 pm »
fboab, if you've been riding a lot this weekend you might not see the benefit of this on the scales for another couple of days. Thrashed muscles seem to retain fluid while they heal initially, then it suddenly disappears (well that's what I've been told anyway).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2824 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
I'd concur that post-exercise weight loss seems to be delayed by about four days for me.