Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300543 times)

Chris S

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3175 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:07:06 pm »
MFP has a rather good graph - perhaps only on the Android app come to think of it - which averages out your weekly In/Out to show an overall net. I found this useful for smoothing out audax days (deeply negative) and chocolate binges (impressively over).

simonp

« Reply #3176 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:11:30 pm »
Same thing on the iOS app. The average for the week is useful to smooth it out.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3177 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »
Bear in mind that your daily calorie allowance is adjusted for your weight loss target, ie a large (in your case) calorie deficit.

The day before an audax, I would be aiming for maintenance level at the very least, if not a calorie surplus (aka carb loading).

As Chris says, audaxing entails a massive calorie burn, so you need to have the calories to burn before you start (and/or keep them topped up while you ride). Not a good idea to start with a calorie deficit.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3178 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »
I have the app on the phone so I like the graph but my weekly total is usually close to a 10,000 deficit (plus the 3500 it is set to for 1lb loss a week)- so total deficit 13,500 which is what it usually takes for a pound to come off me.  The graph doesn't help me all that much as it's green anyway if that makes sense!! I just need to get my head around it being red on a rest day. I don't like red hence no usual rest days but I just need one today.

I need to get over this red thing!!!

« Reply #3179 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:19:38 pm »
Citoyen, I never do the carb load thing, I never find I need it. I just eat a decent dinner....

citoyen

« Reply #3180 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:20:36 pm »
Yes, you need to get over it. Not healthy to get too obsessive. And a rest will be very good for you, especially after recent emotional/physical/hormonal turmoil.

d.

citoyen

« Reply #3181 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »
Citoyen, I never do the carb load thing, I never find I need it. I just eat a decent dinner....

Yeah, I find that since I've got fitter and leaner, I don't need to carb-load so much, but maintenance level ("a decent dinner") is always good the day before an audax.

d.

simonp

« Reply #3182 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »
I don’t care about the red thing. The average at the end of the week is the important one, and the weight. Last 3 weeks graphs:

Untitled by SimonP2006, on Flickr

And last 3 months’ weights, recorded most days:

citoyen

« Reply #3183 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:43:32 pm »
total deficit 13,500 which is what it usually takes for a pound to come off me.  The graph doesn't help me all that much as it's green anyway if that makes sense!!

Yes, the greenness of the graph makes sense if you're on a weekly deficit of 13,500 calories, but that large a deficit doesn't make sense. Clearly you're not actually burning that many calories, so either you're overestimating your exercise or underestimating your food. Might be worth trying to fine tune your inputs? Surely a more accurate figure would be more useful?

d.

« Reply #3184 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:50:01 pm »
Citoyen I just find it almost impossible to lose any.

I log every single thing I put in v v v carefully. I weigh things to make sure they are accurate.

I give myself 350 an hour for cycling (reasonably hard)
300 an hour for audax
200 for body pump classes and spinning classes

I must surely burn more than that in pump and spin but don't want to overestimate, would rather underestimate

And on that basis, it takes a 13500 deficit before I see the scale go down a pound. I envy people who drop one on the usual 3500, that simply does not work for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3185 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »
I'm amazed anyone can survive on a weekly deficit of 13,500 Calories; that's starvation!
My weight loss might be slow but I can't exercise and need to eat something.

« Reply #3186 on: 12 May, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »
It does feel like starvation sometimes. 1800-1900 calories plus an ave of 5-6 hours exercise a day. But that's what it takes.

One of 2 things has screwed up my metabolism I think, a severe eating disorder many years ago, or all the cancer drugs I had for a few years until last year. I think steroids mess with it don't they. Anyway, it is what it is and I can't stuff my face and get away with it.

« Reply #3187 on: 12 May, 2012, 04:46:42 pm »
Simon, you need to charge your phone :P

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3188 on: 13 May, 2012, 06:42:23 am »
Hurrah, lost a kilo on my cycle tour despite eating large quantities of cake.

Only 500g to go and I am under 90kg for the first time in a few years!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3189 on: 13 May, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
I've signed up to "my fitness pal" - I can see myself being a calorie counter for the 1st time in my life ?

« Reply #3190 on: 13 May, 2012, 09:25:08 am »
I too have joined My Fitness Pal (as SteveCunio).
Having entered a couple of days worth of stuff, I wonder why I am not back up at 17 stone!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Jakob

« Reply #3191 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:40:14 am »
2 months ago, a tear in the rotator cuff + excessive working hours (80 hours+ per week), saw me going from working out 4-6 times per week and eating mostly healthy to sitting at a desk for 12-14 hours a day, eating crap food and because I was feeling sorry for myself, lots of snacks, etc.
End result: 6kgs up in 2 months. I saw it coming about 3-4 weeks ago, but it's taken me this long to get the eating under control and I'm now back in the gym again.
They're running, what they call a 'Nutrition Challenge' starting from the 28th, where it's 21 days of either strict Paleo or Zone diet. I've combined that with a new intense training schedule, so the aim is to get rid of at least 4 of the 6kgs before the end of June.
I've done the Paleo a couple of times before, but I want maximum results this time, so I will go on a Zone diet and I know it's gonna suck...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3192 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:49:42 am »
Hmm. Dropped out of this thread about 3 stone ago.

There's an app!

Goes off to download My Fitness Pa!

It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3193 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:07:21 am »
Is that for your dad? ;D

I've put weight on this week.  Not surprising, as I'd lost a kilo last week, which was a bit much, but that's now half a kilo over a fortnight, which is less good :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #3194 on: 16 May, 2012, 09:12:04 am »
I've stayed the same. Kind of ok with that as everything has been a bit all over the place in the last week, and I'd lost a kilo the week before. I've managed to train as normal all week even though I've not been feeling too great, TT times have only been 20 seconds or so down which is ok as its been windy anyway. I've done a pretty good job of not comfort eating, but that's taken a lot of willpower. I wish I was someone that lost their appetite during traumatic times rather than want to eat junk!!

Now everything is back on track I can see where I'm at. Got a wedding to get through on Friday, will try and not eat rubbish at it, but hopefully riding 200 miles over the weekend at the London Revolution will undo any damage.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3195 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:16:17 am »
Gained half a kilo this last week :(
Them chocolate digestive & rich tea biscuits & vanilla slices are heavy aren't they ::-)

« Reply #3196 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:26:57 am »
I have high hopes that Katy-The-Kruel will give me permission to do stuff when I see her tomorrow, which may halt the current slide.

« Reply #3197 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:32:28 am »
Fingers crossed fboab :)

Hav my phone pre-op this afternoon. Hoping to find out how long I'll need to be off the bike for. I'm praying this is 3 weeks max or I'll get fat :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3198 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:55:05 pm »
Still 71kg last night but lost a fair bit overnight.
Trousers seem even looser.
Slow but sure.
Will have to shrink portions, having given up: toast in mornings, most between meal snacks, CAIK, most biscuits.
Not going to give up my Tiny Chocolate Treats though.
I have standards!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3199 on: 16 May, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »
Down 1.5kg from last Wednesday, but TBH I was down 0.75kg the following day.  Hopefully the downward trend continues.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: