Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300718 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3225 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:39:45 pm »
I have updated the graphs. I had to work around a problem with GlasgowJim’s table, I’ve modified the script by making it avoid adding a weight if there is an IndexError generated by a malformed weights table.

simonp

« Reply #3226 on: 25 May, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »
A company have moved in to the same floor as us, other side of the building. They've had months of work kitting out their offices, so to apologise for the disruption (which was fairly limited, though there was quite a lot of drilling noise) they brought us four *huge* cakes. Chocolate, some kind of butterscotch sponge cake, tiramisu, and an exotic fruit sponge (sponge cake with fruit on top).

I just had some of the butterscotchy one. I now get comfort eating. Missed out on the tiramisu, it's all gone. Might have a second piece of the exotic fruit cake later. And then an extended ride home to burn it off. Best cake I've ever had. Though, the exotic fruit one is encased in a wall of chocolate, and tbh that was a bit much for me.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3227 on: 25 May, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »
Mostly the scales said 108.3 this morning. However, there was one glitch below the 108kg mark.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3228 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
OK, I'm peeved, I seem to have got fit on my bike tour.

What this translates to is that my heart rate is much lower for my normal cycle rides.

What this means is I burn far fewer calories.

An example. Today I did my a trip to Manningtree. It was 14.93 miles and I did it in 1 hour 24 mins at an average of 10.7mph (pootling as I was listening to a talking book whilst cycling - earbud only in one ear, I hasten to add). My HRM and Ascent between them tell me I burned off 370 calories which is miserly - average HR 103, max 124.

On 14 April I did a similar route to Manningtree (slightly shorter, thus 13.71 miles). I did this at an average speed of 10.3mph (it took me 1 hour 20 mins and 3 seconds). However my average heart rate was 129 and my max 157. I burned 570 calories.

This has been happening since I got back from Germany and means I'm not burning as many calories so I can't eat as much on MFP. Argh!!!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

simonp

« Reply #3229 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
Or maybe the number of calories burned is unchanged, but the estimate is now less accurate, due to increased fitness. Don't the HRMs have a fitness rating to adjust for this effect?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3230 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »
But if AH now has more muscle mass, will she not be burning more calories by just sitting and doing nothing?

« Reply #3231 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:39:58 pm »
But if AH now has more muscle mass, will she not be burning more calories by just sitting and doing nothing?

That is my cunning plan for this week. I hope my damaged muscles are nice and metabolically active on my behalf as I sit on the sofa recovering  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3232 on: 25 May, 2012, 08:57:14 pm »
Bodies supposedly unfortunately become more efficient as we get fitter, so less calories are burnt. Most annoying!!

I don't have to worry about it currently as I'm sat on the sofa in plaster up to my knee *sigh*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3233 on: 26 May, 2012, 09:43:19 am »
Another day when the scales are claiming that I'm below 108kg. I'll start to believe them soon if this keeps up.

« Reply #3234 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
Up a kg this week.  The temptations of hotel and pub food are difficult to resist for ever.
But, I am now over half way through this secondment and at least one of the weeks to come will be home based (the Jubilee week), so I should get back on the bike a bit more.

I have however just applied for a new (internal) job which will involve more travelling  :facepalm:
This may be an excuse for n+1  :thumbsup: I could leave a bike at each of our sites and get out for a lunchtime ride wherever I end up!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3235 on: 26 May, 2012, 06:11:20 pm »
Don't the HRMs have a fitness rating to adjust for this effect?

Yes. Mine does.

On MFP, I tend to "round down" to the speed bracket below my actual speed (eg if I rode at 17mph, record it as 14-16mph on MFP). Funnily enough, this seems to give a similar figure to my HRM in most cases. And given that my weight change patterns seem to be reasonably closely in line with what MFP predicts, that suggests I'm getting fairly accurate figures from both MFP and my HRM.

It may be affected by other factors, though, and may not work out the same for everyone.

Auntie H, the way I see it, you have three options:

1. Ride faster. This is what I've been doing. Although this might spoil your enjoyment of your talking book.

2. Ride up some big hills. Hmmm... you live in Norfolk, don't you?

3. Ride a heavier bike at the same speed. Or carry a brick or two in your panniers.

Another option is to vary your exercise regime - I've started doing a bit of running because although I'm "cycling fit", I'm definitely not "running fit", so I reckon I get more exercise benefit from running.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3236 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »
14st 8lb this morning. Very nearly 3st down from the beginning of Sept last year  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #3237 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:34:14 pm »
67.6kg this morning. That's 10 stone 9.

« Reply #3238 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:12:30 am »
Cracked the 100 kg barrier this week 99.2kg

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3239 on: 30 May, 2012, 07:28:42 am »
Well done! I'm still about 9kg behind you.

« Reply #3240 on: 30 May, 2012, 08:44:33 am »

Geoff
Well done!

For those of us with a lot to lose, keeping going in the face of little change can be very demoralising.
It's great that you've kept on and now have the success to reward your persistence.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3241 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:40:25 am »
Heading in the right direction again, but I will miss my target (hit a certain weight by June).  Can't imagine any that way to shed 4kg in 48hr would be healthy.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3242 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:48:25 am »
108 exactly this morning, amongst a load of other readings which we'll gloss over.

Another glitch in the right direction!

However, I won't weigh in again for a fortnight, before which I have a load of Scottish breakfasts to consume. Let's hope the damage isn't too extensive.

Regarding targets, I was down to reach 100kg by the Dun Run. With 8kg to go in just over 4 weeks, that won't happen. Nutkin's going to be my stoker. I don't think it's fair to ask her to lose all that weight.  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3243 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:53:36 am »
Back on track (I think)
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3244 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

Well done!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3245 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »

Geoff

Hey, well done!  That's a very important milestone. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #3246 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
I've lost 6kg in the last year. I've eaten & drunk whatever I felt like - but that means not stuffing myself silly. I've probably eaten more than in the previous year, when I put on 2 or 3kg. The difference has been entirely in the amount of exercise.

A year ago, I was just starting to cycle again after a year in which illness had severely limited my exercise. I was also walking reasonable distances again. For a while, I'd had to stop & rest part way on the one mile walk into town.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3247 on: 30 May, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »
I have not weighed myself again as I need help from David who's been busy.
I doubt there's much/any loss anyway though I eat little at meals and next to nothing between them. I still think I'm OK for someone who can't move.
I'm comfortably wearing smaller trousers today anyway.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3248 on: 30 May, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »
Helly, I am really really impressed by your success! Any weight I've lost has been through cycling further and faster. The fact that you are managing whilst stationary is amazing. Well done!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3249 on: 30 May, 2012, 03:29:26 pm »
 :) :) :)

A BMI of 25.5 is no disaster anyway.
23 would be nice but there *is* more to life.