Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300711 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3325 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »
Neither is cycling for 3 hours every day just to burn the excessive calories that our "natural state" expects us to ingest.

I would happily ride my bike three hours a day for no other reason than its own sake if I had the time... Although a rest is good occasionally and I am feeling the benefit of my day off.

Being permanently hungry makes it extremely difficult to concentrate on anything else.

Tell me about it.

AIUI the problem is that your body gets used to a regular high intake of calories, so when you're not exercising, you still feel hungry even though you don't need those calories. It's quite a test of the willpower. And this is why so many sportsmen balloon when they retire...

This is also why things like the Satiety Index DrMekon mentioned upthread could be very useful - eating foods that make you feel fuller without being high in calories has to be the way forward.

I find drinking lots of water helps to some extent too, though there is an obvious corollary to that...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3326 on: 29 June, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
Yesterday's 55 miles in the heat undoubtedly has led to me feeling more hungry today. So far, a modest bowl of porridge oats, some grapes and a banana have been my only concessions. I'll go for a short ride to the bank and then have a restricted lunch.

Monday, post Dun Run, is going to be interesting.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3327 on: 29 June, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »
Food has been my cigarette substitute for approx 15 years.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3328 on: 29 June, 2012, 01:40:14 pm »
More good news:
After reading on the BBC News website that women's waists were too big, I measured mine at 83cm. The website stated >80cm was too much.
My waist was 77cm this morning.

(click to show/hide)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3329 on: 30 June, 2012, 09:02:46 am »
MyFitnessPal down this morning. I had to turn on the computer to add my food as my app wasn't working and then discovered that the whole site is down.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3330 on: 30 June, 2012, 01:48:52 pm »
My diet is very low-tech.
Just as well cos my internets can be flakier than the croissants I eschewed.

jimbhoy

« Reply #3331 on: 30 June, 2012, 02:12:41 pm »
I've just about had it with the calorie counting and think i'm going to chuck it, the last month i've been under my daily target (1500 cals) on 27 out of 30 days, covered more than 800 miles on the bike and yet my weight has stayed the same ! in that time i've been totally honest and logged every single thing i've ate, i don't touch booze at all so how can  i can stay the same weight is a mystery, when logging exercise i always go for the lower end of estimating calories (300 per hour) burned as i think MFP generally over estimates these and i also think that my body has become so used to cycling that when i exercise i'm burning far fewer cals than i should be,
so i either quit cycling and take up another sport or quit logging calories and get on with life, not a hard choice for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3332 on: 30 June, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »
Quit logging calories. Losing serious amounts of weight needs long-term commitment.
If you do want to lose weight (and there are good reasons for NOT bothering) accept
1) It will take AGES
2) You WILL be hungry, often.
3) Hunger can turn you into a diet bore
Food is a great pleasure for most people. Enjoy the food you eat but try to reduce portion sizes.
Don't obsess with weighing yourself too much; a tape measure can be more reliable.

The human body is very efficient with its energy stores; half a pound of body fat supplies all calorie needs for a day.
You need some protein and vitamins. You need to eat to eat to stop your body breaking down muscle.
Losing one measly pound of body fat per week is actually quite ambitious but does not really sound like much.

Water is heavy and can easily confound weight measurements. That's why obsessing about measured weight can be bad.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3333 on: 30 June, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
@ Glasgow Jim
I have never counted calories.
I simply eat less than I did before I started this campaign to lose weight
I am erxpecting it to take a long time
I'm approx half way & it's taken 6 months. nae probs..

I often feel hungry.The cure,for me,is to drink water & eat grapes.Just enough to stop me turning into a miserable grumpy git.

I've stopped crisps & biscuits but still eat cake.
I use the car less & not at all for anything less than a 12km journey.

I've had some gains as well as losses but..hey ho ::-)

keep on keeping on :thumbsup:

hth

« Reply #3334 on: 30 June, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »
Alternatively try my new technique, get some horrible gastro-intestinal lurgy, spend 24 hours on the toilet unable to eat or drink and lose 2kg  :facepalm:
I suppose being off the bike at the moment this lurgy is actually advantageous but it doesn't feel like it right now!

simonp

« Reply #3335 on: 30 June, 2012, 05:16:22 pm »
I tried that one last year.  :hand: GWS.  :-*

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3336 on: 30 June, 2012, 05:21:03 pm »
Don't count calories but do be aware of what's got lots and what has not.

rr

« Reply #3337 on: 30 June, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »
I started to try and lose weight at the beginning of the month at 105kg. After a search I found Libra a weight tracking app which uses an exponentially smoothed moving mean to give a weight trend. This is my graph for the last two and a bit weeks:

My trend line is below 100kg for the first time for a few years. :thumbsup:
Screen shot, the ad can be removed for a couple of quid.

Being an engineer who has done his fair share of SPC it seems an obvious way of extracting data from such noisy data and has really helped me keep motivated on the days when the scales go up. The about page led me to the The Hackers Diet - basically: weigh yourself as reproducibly as possible every day; statistically smooth the results and then adjust calorie intake to maintain weight change. Spreadsheets are available in various formats to do the calculation
Seems to work and make sense.

jimbhoy

« Reply #3338 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:00:41 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys, my main problem seems to be getting the balance right, i really don't feel hungry most of the time except the day after a 100 mile or so run/Audax, most of my food comes from porridge/fruit/salad/soup, perhaps the answer is in Jogler's/Hellymedics not counting and reducing the amount, but with only 1500 cals allowed just now reducing it further would be a bad idea i think due to the amount of cycling i do, current weight stands around 86kg and would really like to get to 83 or below so maybe a dose of the lurgy just now would help  :sick:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3339 on: 30 June, 2012, 06:26:01 pm »
I you are only on 1500 kcal/day, you WILL lose weight.
Eventually.

Trick is not to let it rise/creep to 2000 for 'little treats' too frequently.
Persistence will pay off but you must be very persistent...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3340 on: 02 July, 2012, 12:35:52 pm »
Another way of telling yourself that you will lose weight is to do an overnight bike ride to Suffolk.

In practice you end up consuming far more cake and beer than you otherwise would and find that you weigh more afterwards than you did at the start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3341 on: 02 July, 2012, 12:59:14 pm »
I started to try and lose weight at the beginning of the month at 105kg. After a search I found Libra a weight tracking app which uses an exponentially smoothed moving mean to give a weight trend.

That looks like a good app. I do the same thing in a slightly less slick way by plugging my daily weight into an Excel spreadsheet and displaying the readings in a graph as a ten-day rolling mean.

It's quite disconcerting - but in a good way - when you enter an increased measurement but your graph moves down!  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3342 on: 04 July, 2012, 08:23:48 am »
Going the wrong way.  Despite two long rides at the weekend, and eating fairly modestly (gone over a couple of days, but mostly well under).

Of course, that 1.2kg gained could all be the t-shirt I would have struggled to remove, and the half-cast on my hand ;D
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3343 on: 04 July, 2012, 09:50:40 am »
Going in the right direction again. Back to the grindstone.

simonp

« Reply #3344 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:53:35 am »
I finally did last week's graph update last night, and it was broken again, wowbagger having weights from a deleted account, so another fix. Now I might do today's one tonight.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3345 on: 04 July, 2012, 10:56:42 am »
I finally did last week's graph update last night, and it was broken again, wowbagger having weights from a deleted account, so another fix. Now I might do today's one tonight.

How does that work then? I've only had one account as far as I know.

simonp

« Reply #3346 on: 04 July, 2012, 11:11:10 am »

How does that work then? I've only had one account as far as I know.

Poor phrasing on my part. Someone else's deleted account confused the parsing, and their weights replaced yours, for all weeks where they had a weight. I fixed one instance a couple of weeks ago, but this one only surfaced this week, it's possible that you were actually 100% wrong weights which was why I didn't notice the error (last night, the graph showed you suddenly gaining 25kg weight).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3347 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »
Was back to 70kg last night.
Don't care.
Must just continue eating very little.
BORING!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3348 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »
Gained 1kg.
Too much cake consumption Not enough cycling.

« Reply #3349 on: 04 July, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »
Unbelievable. Been throwing up for 3 days. Weight for the week has stayed the same. Impossible goddamit.