Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300445 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3350 on: 04 July, 2012, 03:35:03 pm »
I've been permanently hungry for the last week and my food consumption reflects that. Hence I'm up half a kilo...

Three hot cross buns and two pieces of ginger cake today to, er... celebrate?  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3351 on: 04 July, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »
I've been permanently hungry for the last week and my food consumption reflects that. Hence I'm up half a kilo...

Three hot cross buns and two pieces of ginger cake today to, er... celebrate?  ;D

d.

Equivalent of around 150g fat but such carb load could easily hold a litre (kg) of water to it...

« Reply #3352 on: 04 July, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »
Started logging again, amazingly haven't put any weight on in the last couple of months off the bike. Hopefully maintain and then lose once I am back on the bike.

« Reply #3353 on: 05 July, 2012, 12:10:22 am »
My weight has been pretty much standing still, but then I've been pretty much off the bike for a whole month with dodgy knees. I am considering renewing my long since lapsed gym membership to strengthen some non-cycling specific muscles that might help me with knee support. If I do then I expect my weight will temporarily rise a bit before it falls due to redistribution.

« Reply #3354 on: 05 July, 2012, 06:44:54 am »
Going the wrong way again   :( :-[   

I will do better

repeat 100 times.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3355 on: 06 July, 2012, 08:20:50 am »
According to the writer of fiction that is our bathroom scales, I was less than 110kg this morning - 109.9!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3356 on: 06 July, 2012, 08:25:08 am »
My diet is suspended until further notice.
Getting there...

« Reply #3357 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:04:09 am »
A four pound increase was not what I needed just before going on holiday!

But one of the things on the packing list MrsC has left me this morning (I have the day off to load the car, she's in work until 1.30) is the Weight Watchers stuff.  We will be planning to go on a 'proper' diet when we come back in ten days time.  Not my ideal 'light holiday reading', but needs must.

S

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3358 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:04:25 am »
According to the writer of fiction that is our bathroom scales,

Wowbagger,you are a true wordsmith 8)

« Reply #3359 on: 06 July, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
My diet is suspended until further notice.

As someone who has had her fair share of ill-luck and injury, may I quietly suggest that rather than 'until further notice' you allocate yourself a break and then revert to sticking to it.
This is doing as I say, not as I did, but putting on everything I lost was just something else to feel fucking miserable about.
Or, while you can't ride, set your MFP allowance to maintenance and keep to that?
It would be a shame to blow everything when things is shite, when you've done so well this year.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3360 on: 06 July, 2012, 01:32:38 pm »
Confession:  despite that bravado, I'm still counting.  Helped by the fact that I've had to do a lot of walking to get to places I was going to ride to... ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #3361 on: 10 July, 2012, 06:50:09 am »
4 days in a hotel has not helped.  never mind back on track now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3362 on: 11 July, 2012, 09:20:53 am »
Not good. Note to self: don't go bingeing on a Tuesday.

« Reply #3363 on: 12 July, 2012, 03:25:46 pm »
I'm up 1.5lb this week :(

Still in 2 minds what to do with the weight loss stuff. My body is a bit messed up from (non recreational) drugs and I don't know what effect its having, plus they are making me ill an tired. When I'm tired, I just want to eat, usually junk and have to fight the cravings. In one respect therefore, its just another added stress, but on the other hand, just ignoring it and getting fat will make a different stress, and I'll be miserable and feel rubbish about myself.

I suppose therefore I just try and eat sensibly but I get so demoralised when the scales go up.

God I sound grumpy.

« Reply #3364 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
Don't stand on the scales until you and your body are well enough to diet.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3365 on: 12 July, 2012, 05:52:18 pm »
I have just discovered that orange juice with bits in contains roughly the same number of calories as does ale.

Does this mean that I should drink more ale or less orange juice?

« Reply #3366 on: 12 July, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
I have just discovered that orange juice with bits in contains roughly the same number of calories as does ale.

Does this mean that I should drink more ale or less orange juice?

Definitely more ale, but cycle off its calories after your pub stop! (That's what I do anyway).

simonp

« Reply #3367 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »
Alcohol inhibits fat burning, so consuming alcohol along with a meal is likely to cause ingested carbs and fat to end up being stored as fat.

According to Dr. Andrew Weil, a Harvard educated doctor currently working at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, the acetate from alcohol metabolism is the first fuel to burn for energy. During this time, the body will burn very little of any other form of energy such as the fatty acids stored up in adipose tissue, postponing the act of weight loss. A study published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that the metabolism of alcohol decreased whole body lipid oxidation by 73 percent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/#ixzz20RkMKdXL

« Reply #3368 on: 12 July, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »
Alcohol inhibits fat burning, so consuming alcohol along with a meal is likely to cause ingested carbs and fat to end up being stored as fat.

According to Dr. Andrew Weil, a Harvard educated doctor currently working at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, the acetate from alcohol metabolism is the first fuel to burn for energy. During this time, the body will burn very little of any other form of energy such as the fatty acids stored up in adipose tissue, postponing the act of weight loss. A study published in "The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" found that the metabolism of alcohol decreased whole body lipid oxidation by 73 percent.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/#ixzz20RkMKdXL

But surely if you have just ridden for a few hours and used up all your muscle glycogen stores your body has no choice than to use the calories you consume on a pub stop to fuel the rest of your ride? I actually find I ride quite fast for about an hour after a pint of beer, I wonder if my body is using the alcohol as rocket fuel  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3369 on: 18 July, 2012, 06:14:27 am »
Despite not riding really, I managed to stay steady this week.  I need to stay cautious.
Getting there...

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
« Reply #3370 on: 18 July, 2012, 07:11:14 am »
After my Holibobs, I was quite pleased that despite performing no activity greater than splashing in the pool, and shuffling from pool to bar to taxi to restaurant etc, I hadn't gained much weight.
Then suddenly this week, my second week back to full time cycle commuting, I've added 1.2Kg. Now I'm back to my February weight!!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3371 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:54:57 am »
But surely if you have just ridden for a few hours and used up all your muscle glycogen stores your body has no choice than to use the calories you consume on a pub stop to fuel the rest of your ride?

AIUI, the body can't metabolise alcohol into a useful form, and indeed it prevents your body from creating glycogen because the liver is too busy breaking down the alcohol.

I actually find I ride quite fast for about an hour after a pint of beer, I wonder if my body is using the alcohol as rocket fuel  ;D

I like shandy when I'm cycling - very refreshing, very little alcohol and useful carbs (sugar) from the lemonade.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3372 on: 18 July, 2012, 01:34:12 pm »
I've tried not to get so stressed over it this week. Still struggling with feeling ill but have managed just under 400 miles on the bike this week.

Weight has stayed the same, but its not where I'd like it. Pffft.

simonb

« Reply #3373 on: 18 July, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
Think I can make ~76 by next week? Certainly!

« Reply #3374 on: 22 July, 2012, 09:07:57 am »
Target 1 achieved 94.8 this morning, now for target 2