Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300755 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3550 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:35:47 am »
Yesterday: 89.0kg
Today: 87.8kg

Could be a bit dehydrated. :(

Or hungry or clearing a sodium load from a Chinese meal...

It's quite easy to shed these quantities of water.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3551 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:43:00 am »
Since I'm suffering from d&v, I think my suggestion is the more likely. :(
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3552 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:49:45 am »
Fraid so; get well soon!
Don't expect this illness to drop your body weight long term by more than about 0.5kg...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3553 on: 04 November, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »
I had my first all day Shrinking Thinking workshop yesterday. Tough day!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3554 on: 04 November, 2012, 01:12:27 pm »
66kg in clothes & shoes today.
The slow descent continues...

« Reply #3555 on: 04 November, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »
Can we have a precis?

« Reply #3556 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:37:33 am »
I am sure I have read somewhere that hot bread crust straight out the oven due to its higher molecular energy has less calories, especially when consumed away from mealtimes. Makes sense to me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3557 on: 07 November, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
Fraid so; get well soon!
Don't expect this illness to drop your body weight long term by more than about 0.5kg...

Well, I wasn't expecting to, but I seem to have done better than that.  I had dropped from 89kg to 87kg, now I'm back to 87.2kg and hoping to hold to that.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3558 on: 07 November, 2012, 11:43:07 am »
I am sure I have read somewhere that hot bread crust straight out the oven due to its higher molecular energy has less calories, especially when consumed away from mealtimes. Makes sense to me.

Sorry, but your statement is incorrect - it would have fewer calories. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3559 on: 14 November, 2012, 10:06:44 am »
I wish my body would maintain it's weight at 61 kg as easily as it does at 64.6 :-\.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3560 on: 14 November, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
I have managed to lose a little weight in the past two or three weeks. This is as a result of enormous will power and self denial and not at all due to the inherent inaccuracy of our bathroom scales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3561 on: 14 November, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
I've taken my eye off the ball lately and as a result, my weight is starting to creep upwards again. Only 1.5kg, so not enough to be cause for concern yet*, but just goes to show how easy it is to put it back on again...

d.

*it's a trend rather than a blip, otherwise I'd dismiss it as being within the scope for normal daily fluctuations.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3562 on: 17 November, 2012, 11:52:14 am »
I have decided to suspend my participation.

Contrary to the above I am unable to resist the temptation to report that that I have lost weight in the last two weeks.
I began to realise that I am losing weight again when I had to keep hoisting my trousers up a couple of weeks ago so weighed myself.In the last week I have had to use braces to keep my trousers up so got on the scales again this morning.
A 2kg loss.
Not too shabby at all considering I'm not even trying to lose weight.I might give the morning & afternoon Penguin bars a miss hereafter.

« Reply #3563 on: 17 November, 2012, 12:02:21 pm »
I have decided to suspend my participation.

Contrary to the above I am unable to resist the temptation to report that that I have lost weight in the last two weeks.
I began to realise that I am losing weight again when I had to keep hoisting my trousers up a couple of weeks ago so weighed myself.In the last week I have had to use braces to keep my trousers up so got on the scales again this morning.
A 2kg loss.
Not too shabby at all considering I'm not even trying to lose weight.I might give the morning & afternoon Penguin bars a miss hereafter.

Well done you.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3564 on: 17 November, 2012, 12:12:23 pm »
Well done, jogler!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3565 on: 17 November, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »
Can we have a precis?
Really hard to describe it in a way that doesn't make it sound like complete bollocks. It's about how your brain works and how that affects how, why and what you eat and all the choices you make about diet and exercise. Over the course of the programme you essentially rewire your brain so that you behave differently. I think if you're someone who just needs to lay off the lager and walk a bit more and you can motivate yourself to do that, it might not be helpful, but if you're one of the people who will buy a 6 pack of Mars Bar icecreams and eat the lot within an hour because you're upset about something, it helps you learn another way of coping. I've been clear with them that my meals are healthy enough, it's the crap I eat between meals that are the issue, but that I don't want to stop eating cake and chocolate completely. I'd like to have the same relationship with them that I have with alcohol - I have loads of alcohol in the house, plenty of it's never been opened, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I might open a bottle of wine on a Friday night and I won't finish it until the Sunday or Monday and it might be a month before I open another bottle - I like it, but it isn't sitting there calling my name in the way that chocolate does.

Anyway, I've lost 10lbs with all the swimming so far.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3566 on: 17 November, 2012, 05:25:21 pm »
Well done, Kirst. I just had a look at the Shrinking Thinking website. Interesting. I like their approach.

d.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #3567 on: 17 November, 2012, 10:24:02 pm »
93.4kg the past two mornings so that's a loss of 10.4 kg in 11 weeks.

No meat, no alcohol, no sugar, no milk except on cereal, no eggs, no butter, very little bread.

I'm eating huge piles lot of fruit and veg, couscous, bulgar wheat and quinoa. Drinking gallons of green tea. Appear to be involving into  some kind of vegan :o

I'm never hungry and can't remember the last time I felt so well. Guess it was in a previous existence.  Starting to think that this might be a permanent change so possibly I'll need to tune this before I develop some form of malnutrition.

Daily food and exercise diary on MFP (which seems very optimistic on calorie burn for cycling)

Nothing goes in my mouth without thinking about it first.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3568 on: 18 November, 2012, 07:50:05 am »
Been stuffing myself at Llandrindod Wells. Can still eat like an AUK!

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #3569 on: 18 November, 2012, 04:00:36 pm »
It was one thing dragging my mountain bike from the loft and fitting road slicks, quite another going out riding it now the weathers turned cooler. Apart from cycling shorts I now to to invest in some cycle orientated clothing :)

However in my quest to regain some fitness and lose a a few kg my training in the last four weeks has followed a routine indoors after work:

Sunday 11th November

Turbo Trainer 1 Hour 30 minutes 37.38 km.

Monday 12th November

Turbo Trainer 30 minutes 12.35 km.

Tuesday 13th November

Turbo Trainer 1 hour 30 minutes 36.27 km.

Wednesday 14th November

Rest Day

Thursday 15th November

Turbo Trainer 1 Hour 23.62 km.

Friday 16th November

Weights Shoulders and Back

Saturday 17th November

Exercise Bike 1 hour 30 minutes  36.13 km.

Total Training this week  6 hours 145.75 km.

4 week Total  19 Hours 500 km.

Original weight 78 kg

Weight Now  71 kg
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #3570 on: 22 November, 2012, 10:51:09 am »
Weight down--BMI up  >:(

They've been offering free health checks at work.  I had mine yesterday.  I am shorter than I believed!  Only 5'10" not 5"11.5".  Oh well.

Apart from that it was mostly OK.  I drink too much and weigh too much (these may be related), but blood pressure and so on is OK.  First time I've ever had a cholesterol test and it was 6.3.  Ideal is less than 6.2 but the chap didn't seem too worried.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3571 on: 22 November, 2012, 12:49:07 pm »
Riddle me this. How can I gain weight in my sleep? Quite frequently I'm 3-4 lbs heavier in the morning (post pee) than I am last thing at night. This usually happens if I've had a reasonably low cal day and I suspect it's probably something to do with water loss, but I still find it odd all the same.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #3572 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »
Riddle me this. How can I gain weight in my sleep?
You're sleepwalking to the fridge?  ???
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3573 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:16:25 pm »
Riddle me this. How can I gain weight in my sleep? Quite frequently I'm 3-4 lbs heavier in the morning (post pee) than I am last thing at night. This usually happens if I've had a reasonably low cal day and I suspect it's probably something to do with water loss, but I still find it odd all the same.

Unless you are drinking water overnight, I'd say your scales are dodgy. All things being equal, I cannot think of a mechanism that doesn't involve measurement error. Happy to be corrected.

« Reply #3574 on: 22 November, 2012, 02:46:53 pm »
^ Seems the most likely, although last night I took about 5 readings over half an hour because I 'knew' the reading wasn't right (it read 9st 6 consistently) as I have very little belly fat at that weight. I have a bit of fat at the moment and the scales were saying 9st 10* this morning which feels about right. Probably the best thing is to take a KISS approach and start by changing the battery in the scales, and taking it from there. Failing that, as the fridge looks unraided, the only explanation must be is that I'm unknowingly schlepping down to the 24hr Tesco, arms stretched out in front of me, in the altogether, at four in the morning.

*I know a lot of people here have more serious weight issues and I'm not showing off. I'm quite petite, and like to keep myself slim as the only real physiological advantage I have on a bike is being able to go up hills reasonably quickly. It's still a struggle for me to keep my weight down.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly