Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300385 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3675 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:36:51 am »
What software are you keeping that chart in rr? That's the sort of graph (with ties from the point to the trend) which I've been trying to persuade excel to do without success.

If you want to create a trend in excel, the easiest way is to use a moving average, for example if you do a daily weigh, use a 30 day average.  EG if your data is in column A, in column b in row 30 your formula is =AVERAGE(A1:A30)/30 and copy down. From thereon, that will show the dynamic trend.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3676 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:43:23 am »
Thanks Ham.

I've currently got a 7-day rolling average set up and a similar 7 day moving average trendline on the graph. I was after a way of tieing all the points to the trendline as in rr's example (just wanting a pretty picture really).

Actually I'm wondering what the /30 does. Surely =AVERAGE(A1:A30) gives the mean of the dataset, similar to =SUM(A1:A30)/30 ???

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3677 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
You don't need the "/30" bit of that formula - it's implicit in the AVERAGE function. [edit: cross posted]

But basically that's exactly what I do in my excel chart, except I use a 14-day average.

There's also a trend line function in Excel graphs, which you can use to predict ahead. There are several different types of trend line available - it's polynomial you need for this purpose, iirc.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3678 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
I was after a way of tieing all the points to the trendline as in rr's example (just wanting a pretty picture really).

Presumably, if it's possible, it will be a formatting option?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3679 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:59:17 am »
Ah yes.... that's a left over from my normal way of doing things which is to sum and divide, because of the different way nulls are handled...... doh.

(average will leave out a null entry)

« Reply #3680 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:35:14 pm »
Today I has been up the loft and thrown out all my old fat git clothes. Gulp.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3681 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:42:30 pm »
:thumbsup:  You ain't gonna need 'em again :)
Getting there...

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3682 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:45:19 am »
I have just joined the weight loss charting community, as I have ballooned in the last couple of years and its got to be sorted out.  Is the weight input page content a string of code for everyone? Or is there a way to make the input side of it a bit more user friendly - like in an excel sheet or similar? I think I am looking at it in perhaps the wrong software or something?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #3683 on: 04 January, 2013, 11:04:02 am »
I'm afraid it is just a tedious string of code. I may have started this (& last) years threads, but I didn't write it, it's just a carry over from time immemorial.
Each week I struggle to find the right place to put the depressing data in. It's part of the hair shirt process, I think.
I should point out that you need to modify your original post with the button at the lower right of the post, rather than the "modify" at the top, otherwise it can go screwy.
Wowbagger did try a simplified version last year, but Simonp's graphs use the current code so changing it would mean a rewrite for him.

« Reply #3684 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
Well, I've joined too.  I've put on half a stone in 2012, and I wasn't particularly svelte then either...  The plan: eat better, cycle more, keep track.

« Reply #3685 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:41:21 pm »
I was feeling rather smug when I posted my start weight on Wednesday.  Managed to lose a little over Christmas--that's not bad!  :smug:
Last night MrsC asks "do you think these scales are working properly?"  :facepalm:

New batteries.  We'll have to keep an eye on them.  And I will be updating the other thread with the new 'best estimate'.  Sigh.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3686 on: 04 January, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »
I got a Food Flask for Christmas (one of those short dumpy thermos flasks with a wide opening) so I thought I'd try out using that for lunch instead of eating in the staff canteen.

Unlike previous flasks, this one actually works at keeping things properly hot until lunch :) meaning I had a nice hot bowl of chicken stew when I poured it out.

Hopefully now I can properly track lunch as well as the rest of my meals as I think I was being rather optimistic with the values for the canteen food.

essexian

« Reply #3687 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:06:46 am »
Well I am back in not at my highest weight ever (that was 22 stone) but at 2 stone more than I was in the summer.

It isn't good not exercising (a total of 40 miles since the middle of September) will do when you add it to an "inability" to stay away from fat/fried food.

My goal for the year: any weight loss would be nice.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3688 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:50:27 am »
Hmmmm! 

Started my weight loss campaign by guessing at my weight [140kg] as my scales don't go higher than 130kg and the last time I was weighed properly I was 140.

Either stupidly or cleverly, I then bought some scales that go up to 200kg. 

So I have now amended my initial weigh in figure to ..... 157.4 kg.  My heaviest ever!!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3689 on: 08 January, 2013, 05:38:20 pm »
Seems some posters here have large amounts of weight to lose.
This must seem really daunting. Well, it's a l-o-o-o-o-n-g journey. Start with a single step (or half kilo) and KEEP GOING!
There will be some weeks when you don't have any weight loss about which to be proud; this doesn't matter. You will have to be mindful about most of your eating for months and look at the big picture.
Weight loss IS possible; if I can succeed, albeit slowly, anyone can.
And I enjoy the occasional 'big meal out'.

Good Luck Everyone!
Persistence Pays Off!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #3690 on: 08 January, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
^^^
+1

Dig in.  (Oops.. I mean don't dig in!)
 O:-)
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3691 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
Habits and portion control are my watchwords.
Gone are the croissants I had most days.
I still have mayonnaise but by the teaspoon, not the tablespoon.
I've not given up chocolate but limit it to two segments of Chocolate Orange (or equivalent) per day.

simonp

« Reply #3692 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
My house contains no mayonnaise. It does contain chilli sauce, which is a weight loss product IMO.  :hand:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3693 on: 08 January, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »
David doesn't eat food that's too hot and has only recently stopped taking nocturnal snacks for 4am munchies. He's down to 63kg.

rr

Re: Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3694 on: 08 January, 2013, 11:12:07 pm »
What software are you keeping that chart in rr? That's the sort of graph (with ties from the point to the trend) which I've been trying to persuade excel to do without success.
I use libra - an  android app. The trend line is an exponentially weighted moving mean as described in the hacker's diet (Google it).
There is a libre office addin that this calculation.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3695 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:29:00 am »
I use libra - an  android app. The trend line is an exponentially weighted moving mean as described in the hacker's diet (Google it).
There is a libre office addin that this calculation.

Thanks.

It's the Hacker's diet that gave me the idea of tracking that way. At some point I will get round to setting up the exponentially weighted moving mean, but a rolling 7 day average seems to be working ok so far (I may change this to a 10 day average now I have 10 points to work with)

essexian

« Reply #3696 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:36:50 am »
Well, 1.3kg since Saturday is an okay start. That takes me to below 130kg, so one target met. Next target, 125kg and then 120kg etc. Small steps at a time eh!  ;D

As for cycling/exercise... cleaned the gym out on Sunday (okay, its really the garage but we have a multigym, rowing machine, turbo and running machine in there) and have started to use it again. As for miles on the road, I seem to have lost my mojo a little as I am a little worried about going out: I know I will be way slower than last year hence doubt I can cycle in the way I like to. A ride to Penkridge and back (about 15 miles) and one to the shops is all I have managed so far this week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3697 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:39:10 am »
I'm losing weight.  Negatively :(

Ah well, there are bound to be ups and downs.  Let's get clear of the season of excess, and see if it settles down a bit.  At least I'm still lower than at NYE.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3698 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:52:27 am »
A decent first week for Boab and me; both dropped a couple of Kg - but that'll be mostly water.

We're trying something different - we've both found that there's more to the world than just Calories In/Calories Out, particularly when you're an audaxer. Boab craves sugar, I crave ethanol - so we've quit both and we're embracing the world of Fat.

There's much to be said for double cream, bacon, full fat mayo and oily fish, not to mention full fat salad dressings and high fibre low carb veggies.

It's the 9th today, and I've still not eaten this year, as much carbohydrate as I would have had in a day previously.

Our new heroes are Robert Lustig, Gary Taubes and Peter Attia.

Our performance on the bike(s) has plummeted - we're assured this is temporary. Fingers crossed!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #3699 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:58:31 am »
On target in week one.  But my eating is tied to my self-control and I am still not 100% happy that I'm avoiding the eating 'landmines' of cheese and chocolate.  I am learning a new phrase, "no, thank you, I don't actually like cheese."  It might not be 100% true; but in a virtuous circle it might become true.  Same for chocolate.  It is only by reeducating myself and changing my behaviour deliberately that lasting change occurs.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/