Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300612 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3700 on: 09 January, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »
Our performance on the bike(s) has plummeted ...
Blimey! These two have a sense of balance. It gives a completely different meaning to the expression "trackstand".  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3701 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:39:52 pm »
I have lost 2lbs since Jan 1st, so ahead of schedule to lose 8 lbs by the end of Feb. 25% complete and trousers already fitting better.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3702 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:40:39 pm »
Only down 0.9kg thuis week but it feels like a real drop, not just water. I made a few "Official Changes" after the weekend and I hope they'll start to show in the next couple of weeks.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3703 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
Every little helps!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3704 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:47:04 pm »
Today I finished the last of the Christmas Stilton. There's still a big wedge of top quality Cheddar left.

simonp

« Reply #3705 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:47:58 pm »
I’m up 1kg. I’ll assume that’s water.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3706 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:48:53 pm »
Mine's beer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3707 on: 09 January, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
I've not been weighed.
David is out and I need his help for weighing.
I doubt there'll have been much change given a three night hotel stay but otherwise modest eating.
Will post a weight when I get one.
There WILL be weight loss - eventually...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3708 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:15:49 am »
Up 1 kilo since the last weighing :(

Really need to get my eating under control after Christmas. It's all "Oh there's just this bit left to finish off", "Can't throw that away, have to eat it".

I'm fighting between my ingrained "Never waste food" response, and not eating stuff I really really like that only comes around once a year (like Christmas pudding) and the need to lose weight because I'm almost the heaviest I've ever been.

Can't somebody invent a pill that will just turn my appetite off please.

Chris S

« Reply #3709 on: 10 January, 2013, 11:13:45 am »
Can't somebody invent a pill that will just turn my appetite off please.

Can't offer you a pill, but I'm finding a low carb, high fat diet (still calorie restricted) is a great way of staving off hunger. Bit spendy in food, and requires more kitchen prep (Carbs are generally more convenient, not to mention processed) but I'm finding I can manage on fewer, smaller meals, and don't get the munchies like I do on a regular high carb diet.

I believe other low carb diets (Paleo, South Beach, Atkins) also claim greater satiety.

Without the regular pangs of hunger you get when on the blood-sugar roller-coaster that is the standard high carb diet, I'm told it's possible to actually forget to eat.

Veggies and Vegans need not apply  :hand:

« Reply #3710 on: 10 January, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »
This is going to be harder than I wanted it to be.
Despite cycling 45, 14 and 20 miles on consecutive days this week and being more aware of what I have been eating, my weight has stayed the same. Apart from one pub meal of sausage ,egg and chips , I have avoided junk food.
Must try harder, especially when surrounded by work colleagues ,who seem to use the expenses acount as an excuse for an all night drinkathon.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3711 on: 11 January, 2013, 02:40:33 pm »
I am losing no weight at all, despite weighing myself daily and plotting it on a spreadsheet. I must be missing something.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

simonp

« Reply #3712 on: 11 January, 2013, 03:26:41 pm »
I reckon it was water, I was down 2kg this morning.

« Reply #3713 on: 16 January, 2013, 08:13:14 am »
Sigh.  Static.  At least it's not an increase.
We do still seem to be eating up the festive excess though.  My rolls for today's lunch contain the last of the French cheese in the hamper from our nephew, for instance.
And why did MrsC make chocolate shortbread over the weekend?  :facepalm:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #3714 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:53:26 am »
Same here. Last of the christmas stuff has gone and at least its not an increase.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3715 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:54:43 am »
Surprisingly down 800g this week, earlier in the week things were going badly so I'm wondering how much of that loss was really water. Still, I'm almost back down to the weight I was on the 1st January last year :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3716 on: 16 January, 2013, 09:58:48 am »
Static as well. :(

Having cake at work yesterday wasn't a good idea :-[

Mind you, after a not-very-active weekend camping interspersed with indulgent eating, I'm pleased that the number wasn't higher (extra commuting miles notwithstanding).
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #3717 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:02:27 am »
Steady reduction here. Keeping to the ketogenic diet (<50g of carbs a day - generally around 20g, moderate amount of protein, say 1.5g per kilo of lean mass, and the rest, dietary fat) is somewhat easier now I have a weekly meal-plan.

A few berries swimming in a lake of double cream still seems like a rather strange breakfast though  ???.

Being off the booze (Dry January) is helping too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3718 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:07:34 am »
Down 1.3kg this week. No especial effort to eat less, apart from on Monday when I had my Pilates class (Pilates is best approached on an empty stomach in my experience) but I have been doing lots of miles in cold conditions. I suppose one burns quite a lot more calories just to keep warm when cycling in temperatures not much above freezing.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3719 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:32:45 am »
Well I'm pretty much static. I suppose I must have lost the weight I was going to lose easily through cutting booze back in September (approx. 5kg lost by end of December). Now my body is used to no booze, my weight has stabilised but there's plenty of fat round my midriff I still need rid of.

May need a change of diet, and more exercise to lose much more I suspect.
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #3720 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »
Sigh. Managed to put on about half a kilo this week despite trying. It does seem that I can not lose weight without exercising and currently my body is not playing along with that idea as most of this week I have had bad knee pain, followed by hip and back pain.

I might have to try swimming but when you have a body like mine, its hard to get it out in public!

« Reply #3721 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »
I might have to try swimming but when you have a body like mine, its hard to get it out in public!

Go for it. It's a shame you don't live near here - I've never seen such a variety of body shapes as those displayed at Brixton leisure centre on Wednesday afternoons! I'm sure it was hard for some of them to get out there the first time, but nobody pays the slightest attention. Anyone who is bothered by the shape of other swimmers is really not worth worrying about. Just go!  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3722 on: 17 January, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »

Go for it. It's a shame you don't live near here - I've never seen such a variety of body shapes as those displayed at Brixton leisure centre on Wednesday afternoons! I'm sure it was hard for some of them to get out there the first time, but nobody pays the slightest attention. Anyone who is bothered by the shape of other swimmers is really not worth worrying about. Just go!  :)

Up to a point, ma'am!

I would worry about those swimmers that are Great White Shark-shaped were I to be adjacent to them, but I'll grant you that that would be unlikely in a Brighton swimming pool.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3723 on: 17 January, 2013, 03:36:29 pm »

Go for it. Completely agree with Butterfly. You have nothing to be ashamed of. IME, public swimming pools don't seem to attract the kind of body fascist idiots you get in gyms. And even if they did, fuck them.

Wowbagger, people will only get annoyed with you in public pools if you swim in the wrong lane (eg slow swimmer in fast lane) and thus get in their way. Follow the lane etiquette and no one will care what you look like.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3724 on: 17 January, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »

Go for it. Completely agree with Butterfly. You have nothing to be ashamed of. IME, public swimming pools don't seem to attract the kind of body fascist idiots you get in gyms. And even if they did, fuck them.

Wowbagger, people will only get annoyed with you in public pools if you swim in the wrong lane (eg slow swimmer in fast lane) and thus get in their way. Follow the lane etiquette and no one will care what you look like.

d.

But do wear some clothes. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: