Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300471 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #3975 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:37:34 am »
Same here although it's four days off the bike due to illness and injury plus more than that of overeating.

Building up reserves for the Dean on Saturday, honest.  O:-)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #3976 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:48:30 am »
The bad weather north of the border has meant one DNF and one DNS for audaxing in the past week and a half. Still fasting though, so down another 0.4kg this week. Staying off booze definitely helps, but isn't enough; I cycle most days, but that just helps my cardio, leg muscles and general fitness. I need the two fast days a week, plus the odd longer ride.

Original target was 74kg by September, but it looks like I'll make that sometime in April. So revised target is 70kg by September.
Embrace your inner Fred.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3977 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:13:31 am »
I know it's been a bad week, but at least I've been back on my bike, so I hope there's a turning of the tide.
Getting there...

« Reply #3978 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:22:04 pm »
I'm going in the right direction still, even after a week away boozing.

I've been given the OK to start cycling and swimming again and have a full week in hotels
in the run up to easter so next goal is to get through that with no weight gain.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3979 on: 20 March, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »
Does anyone log hours slept along with weight lost? I think I need to start doing it, as there seems to be a strong correlation for me. Or it could just be when I'm sleeping, I'm not eating.
Well I pretty much always sleep well and am lardy so on that scientific sampling of 1 I would say not!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3980 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:56:12 pm »
I really need to join in on this. I've decided that I really don't want to be fat when I'm thirty, and I'm realising that I only have just over a year in which to get it sorted. And I've got over 20kg to lose. $CurseWords:'( :'(

I'm getting back on MFP in an effort to rein in my terrible diet, and I've invested in a turbo trainer so that the weather is no excuse to get my legs working again. Fingers crossed that I can stick at it.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3981 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:10:45 pm »
Last August my BMI was 34.9. Now it's 32.3.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3982 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
Last January my BMI was 27. Now it's 24.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3983 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:21:08 pm »
I'm going in the wrong direction and I blame the weather.  :P

I'm about 400 miles behind where I should be at the moment. That's about 40 hours' cycling at about 600 calories per hour. If 3500 calories equate to a pound of fat, then that's around 7lb I should have lost.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3984 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:39:36 pm »
Last January my BMI was 33. It still is.
Imagine how fat I'd be if I hadn't ridden 15,000km since then.

Perhaps a lot less, is my thinking. Before I started cycling again in 2004 I was 68kg.

Hot news: exercise makes you me fat.

I'm about 400 miles behind where I should be at the moment.
I'm about 10kg behind where I 'should' be. (9,000kcal/kg of lard = 90,000) So if (very much an if) I used 600kcal/hour cycling at 24kph that's 150 hours cycling= 3600km. I've ridden quite a lot so far, this year, 2300km. But I need to have done more than double that to achieve my weight loss goals? Yeah, as they say, right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3985 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:44:24 pm »
I was around 12 stone at New Year in my 11,000 mile/year days.
I've not cycled for over 10 years and am rather lighter.
Cycling might have kept me fat...

« Reply #3986 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:45:16 pm »
Boab I think we seem to be very similar in that respect.

According to calculations, I should lose about a stone a month. Yeah whatever.

And this week, I have not kept a single morsel of food down since Tuesday? Huge weight loss? Errr yeah, a massive 1.5lbs, which will be water and go straight back on again.

Maybe we should try an experiment where we just sit on the sofa, do nothing and just eat fish n chips?!

« Reply #3987 on: 23 March, 2013, 06:58:31 pm »
I suppose the difference is, ladies, that if I weighed 12 stone and stayed there it would be 10kg less than I am now. That would be great. I'm not just 'a bit overweight' or 'carrying a few extra pounds', I'm obese. I eat healthily (no cake, no sugar, lots of vegetables, less than 2,000 calories a day) and I'm very active, and it's not shifting, despite a calorie controlled diet, despite a low carb diet.
Lady Cav is wibbling about the last few lbs. I imagine that's annoying. I need to lose 23kg (that's 3 and a half stone) to have a reasonable BMI and it just isn't happening.

Maybe we should try an experiment where we just sit on the sofa, do nothing and just eat fish n chips?!
I don't even like chips! Sob!

« Reply #3988 on: 23 March, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
It's not a case of the last few lbs any more. It used to be...... I need to lose at least a stone, ideally 1.5 stone.....

I'm trying to get back into competitive running, and any thoughts of running for my country again feel impossible at this size.

I really do appreciate how frustrating it is for you though. I don't know what to suggest either.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3989 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »
I suppose the difference is, ladies, that if I weighed 12 stone and stayed there it would be 10kg less than I am now. That would be great. I'm not just 'a bit overweight' or 'carrying a few extra pounds', I'm obese. I eat healthily (no cake, no sugar, lots of vegetables, less than 2,000 calories a day) and I'm very active, and it's not shifting, despite a calorie controlled diet, despite a low carb diet.
Lady Cav is wibbling about the last few lbs. I imagine that's annoying. I need to lose 23kg (that's 3 and a half stone) to have a reasonable BMI and it just isn't happening.

I don't even like chips! Sob!

If it helps you feel any better I need to lose 39kg, and recently seem to have plateaued*. You're definitely not alone.

*I've been moving house and cycling less than normal which hasn't helped.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3990 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:35:04 pm »
If it helps you feel any better I need to lose 39kg, and recently seem to have plateaued*. You're definitely not alone.

No offense 'shroom, but I ride further (if your MCL line is anything to go by) and faster (if your claimed audax finish times are anything to go by).... and I haven't seen you posting about your other exercise exploits (though I'm guessing and could easily be wrong there, and have no idea how much/what you eat which the other half of the equation).
Crucially- you know why yours isn't working. You're not riding as much and you're not being as careful with what you eat. When you do the 'right' things, you lose weight.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3991 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »

No offense 'shroom, but I ride further (if your MCL line is anything to go by) and faster (if your claimed audax finish times are anything to go by).... and I haven't seen you posting about your other exercise exploits (though I'm guessing and could easily be wrong there, and have no idea how much/what you eat which the other half of the equation).
Crucially- you know why yours isn't working. You're not riding as much and you're not being as careful with what you eat. When you do the 'right' things, you lose weight.
Well, mcshroom, that's you told, eh?  ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3992 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »

That's the reason I come here - the mutual support ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3993 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:59:38 pm »

That's the reason I come here - the mutual support ;D

I'd lend you mine but I'm wearing it at the moment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

« Reply #3994 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »
I'm back on MFP as ad libitum feeding is causing slow weight gain. Need to eat more, it says.  ;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3995 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »
You know that thing where you weigh yourself, and it makes you so miserable that you just eat cake and other crap?  Even though you know, because you aren't stupid, that, obviously, that is stupid.  But you're too miserable about it to care, and anyway too knackered to contemplate Actual Cooking.  And you can't bear to ride your bike because it is physically so completely fucking unpleasant because after 5 miles everything hurts like fuckity when you would need to lose damn near 40kg just in order to not be obese (having never ever been "normal" I don't even aspire to that, just overweight would do) and you discover that, once again, you can't actually go for a walk because you can't walk up the fecking hill any more?

Yeah.

That.

Nobody wins in that game of Top Trumps.

« Reply #3996 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
I'm back on MFP as ad libitum feeding is causing slow weight gain. Need to eat more, it says.  ;D

I note that Strava appears to give more realistic calorie estimates than MFP.

I know when I was using MFP religiously, I had to cut ~40% from my calorie allowance to make the numbers fit my historic weightloss.

Weight is coming off slowly here. ICBA to go back on MFP. Instead, I've taken to mediating on how skinny my carbon fibre seatpost is, and how much pain I'll be in if I chub up and am impaled upon it. That, and having entered the Pendle 600 (10AA) are helping me make better food choices.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3997 on: 26 March, 2013, 03:00:18 pm »
(author's note: apologies for the liberal sprinking of profanity in my post. it's been a tough few weeks and my willpower has, along with my get-up-and-go, got up and fucked off. --Chris)

You know that thing where you weigh yourself, and it makes you so miserable that you just eat cake and other crap?  Even though you know, because you aren't stupid, that, obviously, that is stupid.  But you're too miserable about it to care, and anyway too knackered to contemplate Actual Cooking.  And you can't bear to ride your bike because it is physically so completely fucking unpleasant because after 5 miles everything hurts like fuckity when you would need to lose damn near 40kg just in order to not be obese (having never ever been "normal" I don't even aspire to that, just overweight would do) and you discover that, once again, you can't actually go for a walk because you can't walk up the fecking hill any more?

Yeah.

That.

Nobody wins in that game of Top Trumps.

I know exactly how you feel  :(  It's taking all the mental effort I have just to put the bike in the turbo trainer, let alone pedal the thing, and the Dominos website is just far too easy to use.

I think what I need (just me, I can't speak for anyone else) is someone else to crack the whip for me. There's nobody to give me shit for eating the whole tub of Ben'n'Jerrys (oops) or to prod me until I ride the bike.

What a shitter.

simonp

« Reply #3998 on: 26 March, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »

I note that Strava appears to give more realistic calorie estimates than MFP.

I know when I was using MFP religiously, I had to cut ~40% from my calorie allowance to make the numbers fit my historic weightloss.

Weight is coming off slowly here. ICBA to go back on MFP. Instead, I've taken to mediating on how skinny my carbon fibre seatpost is, and how much pain I'll be in if I chub up and am impaled upon it. That, and having entered the Pendle 600 (10AA) are helping me make better food choices.

Strava's estimates seem on the low side to me. I haven't entered any exercise into MFP for today, it says I should eat more because I've not eaten very much.  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #3999 on: 26 March, 2013, 03:16:52 pm »
I think what I need (just me, I can't speak for anyone else) is someone else to crack the whip for me. There's nobody to give me shit for eating the whole tub of Ben'n'Jerrys (oops) or to prod me until I ride the bike.

Funny you should say that, Boab said much the same to me - she'd be better off if there was someone (no - not me, that wouldn't work!) to give her the food, and that was all she would be allowed.

I decided against suggesting a spell in prison  :-X.