Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300373 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4050 on: 10 April, 2013, 12:06:08 pm »
I am of the belief that willpower helps form better eating habits.
I have not been weighed recently but David's weight loss continues slowly. He has lost 13kg since January 2012.

We are eating much less CAIK, no croissants, much less bread, more fruit, more vegetables, less fried food, fewer puddings, less chocolate, fewer nuts, less butter, less jam & peanut butter etc.

I don't know if you call this willpower or better eating habits.
We are losing weight slowly, successfully anyway.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4051 on: 10 April, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »
Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource.

Used all my available willpower some years ago to stop smoking & have recently found another way to lose weight whilst still eating without watching the calories.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4052 on: 14 April, 2013, 12:43:29 pm »
Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource. Here's the American Psychologists Associations take:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=4

Much more effective is creating good habits and hunger management.

DrMekon is the expert but the the theories are here:

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower.aspx?item=6

(Theories are so easy!)

That all seems to make sense, particularly the advice to concentrate on one thing at a time. I've always found it easier to get things done by focussing on one task at a time: multiple (sometimes conflicting) priorities lead to me feeling swamped.

So, in order of priority: I gave up smoking; next I started more regular exercise; then (eventually) drinking (except an occasional glass on special occasions/festivals); now it's the dieting.

The only things that seem to mess any of this up are:
a. Staying away from home for any length of time.
b. Lack of access to a bicycle.

Give me a bike and a stable routine and it's pretty easy to summon the willpower.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4053 on: 17 April, 2013, 07:53:24 am »
Long weekend in Rome; pasta, ice cream, pizza, wine...
Only 1lb up on the week.
I'll take that.

Have to work hard for the next month or so before our next big weekend away
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4054 on: 17 April, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »
I made the mistake of standing on the scales before lunch on Sunday.  :-[

suddenly pudding was off the menu, cycling home from work is required and buscuits will no longer be put in the cupboard.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4055 on: 20 April, 2013, 08:47:08 am »
The rate-of-loss has decreased.Lost only half a kg in the last 6 days.

Chris S

« Reply #4056 on: 24 April, 2013, 07:42:50 am »
 :o

That was a surprise! Must have burnt a lot off by not freezing to death on a recent overnight ride.

Also - both Tanita scales and calipers are saying 15% BF  :thumbsup:. More than half way to my (ridiculously over-ambitious) target of 10%.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4057 on: 24 April, 2013, 07:58:47 am »
I need to start weighing myself more regularly again.  Someone commented above that some of us weigh ourselves too much.

Well I suspect it's not coincidence that since I stopped weighing myself every day a lot of my daily incentive has gone and I've put nearly a stone back on.
Not really a coincidence that I've been pigging out far too much either mind ;)  This audaxing seems to have given me the false impression I can eat what I want when I'm cycling 600 miles a month.  Not so. :facepalm:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Chris S

« Reply #4058 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:15:28 am »
This audaxing seems to have given me the false impression I can eat what I want when I'm cycling 600 miles a month.  Not so. :facepalm:

Yeeeesss..., quite a few of us have found that. Cycling is a very low-demand form of exercise, unless you hammer it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4059 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:31:02 am »
I seem for the moment to have stopped the rot. I didn't record my weight last Wednesday I was so pissed off with what was happening (can't remember what it was now but probably over 116kg) but I was down to 115.1kg today. It's no coincidence that I cycled over 140 miles in the past 4 days.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4060 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:02:09 am »
This audaxing seems to have given me the false impression I can eat what I want when I'm cycling 600 miles a month.  Not so. :facepalm:

Yeeeesss..., quite a few of us have found that. Cycling is a very low-demand form of exercise, unless you hammer it.

Indeed. Tracking my intake, exercise and weightloss suggested that I needed to knock a 1/3rd off most estimates of energy expenditure.

« Reply #4061 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:11:43 am »
I need to start weighing myself more regularly again.  Someone commented above that some of us weigh ourselves too much.

Well I suspect it's not coincidence that since I stopped weighing myself every day a lot of my daily incentive has gone and I've put nearly a stone back on.
Not really a coincidence that I've been pigging out far too much either mind ;)  This audaxing seems to have given me the false impression I can eat what I want when I'm cycling 600 miles a month.  Not so. :facepalm:
Long term trends are great, if you're actually losing weight. Infrequent weighings can lead you not knowing if you're doing it right or not.
I weigh myself every day, but only watch the trend.

I'm generally not in favour of daily weighing and measuring and calorie counting, because that makes dieting a life's work, and it shouldn't be. Surely, we should be at a balance of eating and activity that keeps us at a healthy weight, where we eat when we're hungry, and exercise because we want to/need to- incorporating it into our daily lives without excessive thought. I'm not there though, so I'm weighing every day and watching and trying to balance.  :-\

caerau

« Reply #4062 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:29:50 am »
Ah I'm a bit of a geeky sciency type though - I used to quite enjoy the patterns I could see.  Gaining weight over the weekend when (aside from cycling) I'd spend time in the pub with the missus and cook nice food with lashings on nice wine, whilst seeing it disappear by Wedndesday as I eat better and drank less during the week.
We're all different with our motivations and what makes it work as you've said yourself.

My main false impression from eating BTW will have come from the six months before I joined this site last year when I dropped four stone in six months without changing a thing in my diet - merely took up gratuitous long distance cycling as a hobby. I should put up my weight losses from 2012 up - it's a much better picture.  Since I've joined this thread I think I've gained wieght! :facepalm:

LEE

« Reply #4063 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:30:34 am »
Surely, we should be at a balance of eating and activity that keeps us at a healthy weight, where we eat when we're hungry, and exercise because we want to/need to- incorporating it into our daily lives without excessive thought.

That doesn't take into account how lovely Blueberry Muffins and mini Pork Pies taste.

LEE

« Reply #4064 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:33:01 am »
Ah I'm a bit of a geeky sciency type though - I used to quite enjoy the patterns I could see.  Gaining weight over the weekend when (aside from cycling) I'd spend time in the pub with the missus and cook nice food with lashings on nice wine, whilst seeing it disappear by Wedndesday as I eat better and drank less during the week.
We're all different with our motivations and what makes it work as you've said yourself.

My main false impression from eating BTW will have come from the six months before I joined this site last year when I dropped four stone in six months without changing a thing in my diet - merely took up gratuitous long distance cycling as a hobby. I should put up my weight losses from 2012 up - it's a much better picture.  Since I've joined this thread I think I've gained wieght! :facepalm:

Remember that cycling with an extra 4 stone on-board requires a significant increase in energy expenditure.

The fitter you get, and the lighter you get, the easier it gets and the less energy you require.  You may need to up the ante, distance-wise or difficulty-wise, to burn the same calories.

Eating less is still the best way though.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4065 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:00:23 am »

I'd just like to get some consistnt readings from my scales. I can weigh myself and see one reading, then move the scale a couple of feet and weigh myself again only to find I just lost half a stone.

So for all my weight appears to be pretty stable I can be happy that the clothes that used to be tight are now loose. I'd still like to shake off a bit more weight, but maybe that will come in time. Part of the problem, as Paul Metcalfe says, is that cake does taste rather good.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

caerau

« Reply #4066 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:08:58 am »
You think I'm not going faster, longer and more climby than I was a year ago? ;)

Yes I do know that, I'm 42, this is not the first weight loss regime I've done in my life - it's by far the most fun though.  Previous ones either involved sweating it at the gym on boring cross trainers, bikes and steppers or lane swimming, which was nice except for the having-to-share-the-lane with other swimmers thing.
Anyone who's done lane swimming for exercise will know that driving/cycling through busy rush-hour traffic is a pain free, relaxing experience compared to dealing with the other tossers in the lane during swimming sessions. >:( >:( >:(
(blimey, I didn't know I still had such anger about it  :o).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4067 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:41:35 am »
I eat because I like eating. I don't think I have the biological mechanism that tells me to stop eating when I'm full, or not eat when I'm not hungry.

Fortunately, I also exercise because I like exercising, and not just because I feel the need to, so it's not a chore. The only problem is that it's easier to find the time to fit eating into my day than exercise, so I don't always manage to do enough exercise to balance out the eating. If I had the time to do as much exercise as I'd actually like to do, I'd probably be size zero or smaller.

Caerau, I love swimming but I know exactly what you mean about lane swimming. When I get a wetsuit (very soon, hopefully), I might start swimming in the sea in the mornings instead.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

caerau

« Reply #4068 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
I taught myself the butterfly stroke in the sea - the extra bouyancy helped  ;D.  There is nothing like doing a couple of strokes of drowning-man butterfly to kick large amounts of water into the face of the idiot who decides they're going to 'overtake you back' - despite the fact that you just spent 10 lengths catching them up from nearly a length back  ::-) >:(

Likes eating <check>
Likes exercising <check>

Yep that's me  ;D

Not sure a size zero is possible mind ;)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #4069 on: 25 April, 2013, 12:38:33 am »
You think I'm not going faster, longer and more climby than I was a year ago? ;)

Yes I do know that, I'm 42, this is not the first weight loss regime I've done in my life - it's by far the most fun though.  Previous ones either involved sweating it at the gym on boring cross trainers, bikes and steppers or lane swimming, which was nice except for the having-to-share-the-lane with other swimmers thing.
Anyone who's done lane swimming for exercise will know that driving/cycling through busy rush-hour traffic is a pain free, relaxing experience compared to dealing with the other tossers in the lane during swimming sessions. >:( >:( >:(
(blimey, I didn't know I still had such anger about it  :o).

At the gym I used to go to swim (until I realised just how dirty the pool was), they had lanes designated for lane swimming and corded off and the rest of the pool was for general swimming. Except the life guards were too busy getting off with each other and not interested in the idiots who used the general swimming area to put their heads down and front-crawl lengths, or the people who decided the lane swim area was a great place to practise floating.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4070 on: 25 April, 2013, 09:13:07 am »
I can't say I ever had trouble lane swimming.
The 'early morning club' at both Swiss Cottage an Poole seemed purposeful and polite. They were mostly older than me (especially when I started swimming distances in 1972...).

caerau

« Reply #4071 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:12:00 am »
You probably didn't feel the need for speed?

It does depend on the pool as well.  I had many many issues with Birmingham university swimming pool but probably because it was busiest. Harborne pool in Birmingham I used once and gave up instantly as all 3 lanes were used by octagenarians going at glacial pace (which is fine - but not what I wanted to do).  Sophia gardens here in Cardiff was OK actually but had erratic times of opening as they train the Welsh national squad in there (makes one feel quite mortal!) and everything revolves around that.  Maindy pool in Cardiff is the closest thing I've found to a regular lanes session since I moved from Brum to Cardiff and I did encounter fewer problems here, mostly because the fast lane was less competitive than in Brum and so I fitted in there rather better.  I really needed a medium-fast lane in Brum which didn't of course exist.  I tired rather more quickly of the conflict in Cardiff though, plus my other half lost her early morning job leading to (much) less likelihood of me getting up early enough to go.

There are many and varied ways that lanes swimming can be extremely irritating.  It's OK for a while but the same people doing the same things day in day out really grates in the end.

Examples include.

Poor lane selection.
The lanes are usually segregated into slow, medium, fast.  The slow lane is fine.  The medium is generally occupied by those too arrogant to believe they are slow (when they are) or too modest to be in the fast lane (when they should be) - this is the most disastrous lane of all.
The fast lane also suffers from people with delusions of grandeur or those who are too ignorant to read the signs saying which lane is which.

This is compounded by lack of enforcement by the lifeguards.  The only time in 5 years of lane swimming I saw it enforced was when a guy in a turban (so yes, doing slow, head-out-of-the-water glacial breastroke) sauntered off in the fast lane  :facepalm:  This was Birmingham University pool I used to use - the fast lane could often get seriously professional in standard.

Standing about chatting
*In* the pool at the ends where people are trying to turn. 
Hint. Get out of the pool and chat somewhere else, this is not a public leisure session.

Swimming side by side chatting
Oh please, this is a session for exercise, get out of people's way

getting offended by being overtaken
Hint.  It's not a race, some people are faster than others, get over it.  If I spend 10 lengths catching you up from more than a length back, I'm going faster than you.  Don't either try and prevent me overtaking by swimming at an unsustainable speed when I approach (that way we both get knackered and grumpy) or re-overtake when I've completed the manoeuver - I will *still* be going faster than you afterwards and am likely to get grumpy and keep clipping your legs as an unsubtle hint.

Not looking before setting off
Before you set off, check that noone is approaching for a turn who is almost certainly going faster than you.

Swim in the correct direction
The lanes are usually marked for swimming with a clockwise or anticlockwise orientation so swimmers don't have head on collisions.  Please note this *before* heading off.

Do the same thing every time
If you do the same thing as each turn then we can work out ways to avoid clashes.  Simples.

Everyone I know who's done lane swimming (other than you it seems :-)) has expressed annoyance at some of these types of behaviour.

This should probably be in another thread ;)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4072 on: 25 April, 2013, 11:38:43 am »
The only pools where I've not encountered problems with lane swimming are the Olympic-size pools at Leeds and Crystal Palace. The one in Leeds was always very busy when I went, but somehow lane discipline seemed to enforce itself - probably because the size of the pool allowed for more variation and more lanes than just slow-medium-fast. Alas, that pool is no more - and I left Leeds before it closed, so I don't know what its replacement is like. Crystal Palace never seemed to be that busy when I went there, which always struck me as odd because it's a fantastic pool. Maybe I should start going there again since it's on my way to work.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4073 on: 25 April, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
Willpower is a really shit way of doing anything. It means it's a continuous battle, using a finite resource.

Not sure what you mean by this, as I'd creating good habits is, in large part, a matter of willpower.  It takes time for actions to become habits; until then, it's hard.

If you mean that it's not enough to think "I wish I could eat less of this crap", then yes.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4074 on: 25 April, 2013, 04:55:09 pm »

Not sure what you mean by this, as I'd creating good habits is, in large part, a matter of willpower.  It takes time for actions to become habits; until then, it's hard.

If you mean that it's not enough to think "I wish I could eat less of this crap", then yes.

Didn't I say that?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg1459222#msg1459222