Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300640 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4100 on: 02 May, 2013, 07:30:11 am »
Our scales had one of their glitches this morning and knocked a whole kg off yesterday's weight. I think I have lost a bit over the past week so it's a shame it couldn't have had its glitch yesterday. At least it has set me a challenge for next week - try to beat 114.2kg.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4101 on: 04 May, 2013, 09:53:42 am »
Another half kilogram loss in 7 days brings me down to the weight I was in early December 2011 before my Xmas binge from which I didn't recover.
I've now lost more weight in the last eight weeks than in the previous 15 months.
All this despite having the biggest lunch box in the canteen & eating like it's going out of fashion ;D
Is it wrong to feel  :smug: ?

Nick H.

« Reply #4102 on: 04 May, 2013, 12:00:14 pm »
Blimey's this thread's grown since I was last here. :o  Forgive me if this has already been done to death, but I haven't read the last 100 posts...

Anyway, I'm doing alternate day fasting. 600 calorie limit on the fasting days. I take lots of psyllium husk capsules on the fasting days, otherwise I'd never be able to cope with the hunger pangs. Overall it seems to be a remarkably easy, fast, low cost way to lose weight. I'm hoping to stick with it for the medium term and get down to the weight I was twenty years ago. I've noticed that on my eating days I don't overeat, I think because the fasting days shrink my stomach.  And despite my very wobbly health my GP says it's OK. Psyllium husks are just plant fibre and they've been widely used in the US for years with no ill-effects.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4103 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:03:28 am »
Hmm. I'm pretty much static for the past three weeks, having enjoyed near constant weight loss for the past few months.

Could be because:

1. I skip fasting days 48 hours either side of an audax (did a 200 last week).
2. I'm starting to overcompensate for fasting days on the non-fasting days.
3. I've resumed having late night snacks again (see 2. above), eg. peanuts, toast.

I'm going to try upping the fibre content of my diet so I feel fuller, and concentrate on protein rich foods otherwise. Have ordered psyllium husk capsules to take during fast days to help avoid having the odd 20/30 calorie snack to stave off hunger pangs...

If this all seems extreme, I definitely need to lose more: still have a spare tyre and (slightly smaller) moobs. Lost most of the flab from my arms and back though. Will be starting some gentle weight training this week too to work on the upper body and arms...
Embrace your inner Fred.

simonp

« Reply #4104 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:06:13 am »
I've lost weight this week having been static for a few. I think it's because I wasn't riding much then suddenly back to 250 mpw.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4105 on: 08 May, 2013, 11:53:58 am »
Lighter people need fewer Calories.
Weight loss won't be helped by late night snacking but overall intake may need to drop if this weight loss plateau persists...

Nick H.

« Reply #4106 on: 08 May, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »
Hmm. I'm pretty much static for the past three weeks, having enjoyed near constant weight loss for the past few months.

Could be because:

1. I skip fasting days 48 hours either side of an audax (did a 200 last week).
2. I'm starting to overcompensate for fasting days on the non-fasting days.
3. I've resumed having late night snacks again (see 2. above), eg. peanuts, toast.

I'm going to try upping the fibre content of my diet so I feel fuller, and concentrate on protein rich foods otherwise. Have ordered psyllium husk capsules to take during fast days to help avoid having the odd 20/30 calorie snack to stave off hunger pangs...

If this all seems extreme, I definitely need to lose more: still have a spare tyre and (slightly smaller) moobs. Lost most of the flab from my arms and back though. Will be starting some gentle weight training this week too to work on the upper body and arms...

Doesn't seem extreme to me. Have you taken psyllium husks on days when you cycle? What's the thirst like? Do you have to carry extra bottles?

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4107 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »
Lighter people need fewer Calories.
Weight loss won't be helped by late night snacking but overall intake may need to drop if this weight loss plateau persists...

Yeah, I'll see how I get on over the next month or so. Having a fairly sedentary job probably doesn't help either.
Embrace your inner Fred.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4108 on: 08 May, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »

Doesn't seem extreme to me. Have you taken psyllium husks on days when you cycle? What's the thirst like? Do you have to carry extra bottles?

Haven't started taking them at all as yet. The idea is just to do so when I'm on a fast day, to make me seem 'full' whilst restricting calories. I cycle most days, but I don't think I'd take them on an audax day at all: hard enough to keep dehydration at bay during a long ride as it is...
Embrace your inner Fred.

Nick H.

« Reply #4109 on: 09 May, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »
Do you do precise calorie counting on the fasting days, and are your numbers correct? Last time I tried ADF I plateau'd and had a closer look at my calculations. It turned out that I'd been eating 800 or 900, not 600.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4110 on: 09 May, 2013, 01:31:04 pm »
I'm trying hard on the calorie counting on fast days. Short of buying products with an exact calorific value displayed on the packet, or weighing portions of chicken breast or broccoli it remains guestimating sometimes.

I know for a fact that I sometimes go over 600: the occasional snack of a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, etc. Normally I'm pretty good at sticking to the 600-700 range though.
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4111 on: 09 May, 2013, 02:04:10 pm »
Don't weigh broccoli! The calories are low however much you eat.

It's not worth weighing some things like broccoli, cabbage, celery, lettuce, cucumber.
It's debatable whether  it's worthwhile weighing raw tomatoes, carrots or strawberries.
Once you cook or juice foods you can eat much more, so weigh them.

Do weigh meat and starchy veg or get things with discernible individual calorie counted portions.
Things that are calorie dense need strict portion control.

Nick H.

« Reply #4112 on: 09 May, 2013, 07:28:59 pm »
The things which cause me to miss the 600 cal target are olive oil, bananas, bacon, milky coffee and houmous. I have some quite accurate postal scales so I do a lot of weighing.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4113 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:46:43 pm »
On my fast days I tend to start with a bowl of porage: 1 cup of oats, water, salt, maybe a splash of (semi-skimmed) milk. Black coffee, water to start off with (vitamins, etc. to swallow). I forego my usual orange juice, no milk in the coffee.
That's approx. 300-350 calories.

That keeps me going until lunch where, instead of skipping it entirely, I generally have a hard boiled egg.
70-80 calories.

I find this, plus black coffee, black tea, and one or two cups of Bovril (20 calories each) mean I manage to last until dinner time.

Dinner is usually a chicken berate or some grilled fish, with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage. Occasionally there'll be something else like strips of carrot in the mix.
That's around 250-300 calories.

So I'm up to 650+ already on a bad day, lower if I manage to keep the portions in check..

I then have the tricky later evening to deal with. Yes okay going to bed early is an option, but not always feasible. So this is where celery sticks, the odd handful of nuts, etc. starts coming in. That's the danger zone for me…

Also sometimes my wife prepares food for me, as she likes to eat healthily. That's very nice, but she tends to fry the chicken or fish in olive oil, then chuck the veg in to stir fry it… Add on a dollop of extra calories!
Embrace your inner Fred.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4114 on: 10 May, 2013, 02:54:19 pm »
The things which cause me to miss the 600 cal target are olive oil, bananas, bacon, milky coffee and houmous.

Peanut butter is the one that really does the damage for me. I could happily eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon all day. I worked out the other day that a regular jar of Whole Earth original crunchy peanut butter (my preferred brand) contains about 3,500 calories. I dread to think how many calories are in the brands with added sugar.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4115 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »
The things which cause me to miss the 600 cal target are olive oil, bananas, bacon, milky coffee and houmous.

Peanut butter is the one that really does the damage for me. I could happily eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon all day. I worked out the other day that a regular jar of Whole Earth original crunchy peanut butter (my preferred brand) contains about 3,500 calories. I dread to think how many calories are in the brands with added sugar.

Fewer actually! Though you might consume more peanut butter because of sugar's seductive sweetness.

Peanut butter is 6 to 6.5 Calories per gram.
Oil/fat of any sort is 9 Calories per gram
Sugar is 'just' 4 Calories per gram

'Do the math'!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4116 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »
Sugar is 'just' 4 Calories per gram

Good point!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Nick H.

« Reply #4117 on: 10 May, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »
I think I have been 'saving' quite a few calories lately by frying meat without any oil. Maybe 'searing' would be more accurate than frying, but the results are fine.  Especially with a splash of hot sauce. Not that I've checked the calories of the sauce yet....it's so yummy I'm in denial about it.

Also I stopped putting my home made dressing on salads - I just sprinkle lemon juice on them.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4118 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:00:53 pm »
I think I have been 'saving' quite a few calories lately by frying meat without any oil. Maybe 'searing' would be more accurate than frying, but the results are fine.  Especially with a splash of hot sauce. Not that I've checked the calories of the sauce yet....it's so yummy I'm in denial about it.

Also I stopped putting my home made dressing on salads - I just sprinkle lemon juice on them.

Yeah I'm considering using a griddle pan we have to do a kind of chargrilling on chicken, maybe a splash of teryaki sauce or soy. Fewer calories but still flavoursome.

Oh I am trying the psyllium husk capsules today as I'm on a fast. Will let you know how I get on...
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4119 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:13:07 pm »

The hot sauce won't add much as a rule (unless it's pure oil) because you're not using much.
A 25% sugar solution (many salad dressings and tomato ketchup approximate to this) is 1 Calorie per gram.

Nick H.

« Reply #4120 on: 10 May, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »
My dressing is mostly olive oil, and I was in the habit of using 2 tbsps, or 240 cals.

I've just check the hot sauce, it's about 15 cals per splash.

Nick H.

« Reply #4121 on: 10 May, 2013, 05:02:23 pm »
I then have the tricky later evening to deal with. Yes okay going to bed early is an option, but not always feasible. So this is where celery sticks, the odd handful of nuts, etc. starts coming in. That's the danger zone for me…

Something which may help is to have two psyllium husk capsules half an hour before supper,  then eat half the supper. Then another two capsules later in the evening, followed by the rest of the supper. Works for me.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4122 on: 10 May, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »
Another half kg loss over 6 days takes my weight down to below 90kg since...I can't remember when.

« Reply #4123 on: 10 May, 2013, 07:41:38 pm »
Another half kg loss over 6 days takes my weight down to below 90kg since...I can't remember when.
Well done Jogler 90kg is about what I weigh.It feels a lot better than 95kg doesn't it?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4124 on: 10 May, 2013, 07:54:45 pm »
It most certainly does & I'm convinced that my succesfull assault last weekend on my local "fat or fit" test-hill owes a great deal to having less lard to lug.
I'm also convinced that I can feel the difference when riding.