Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300718 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4150 on: 27 May, 2013, 09:56:50 am »
An unprecedented eventuality this morning.

Our scales are pretty inaccurate in that you can weigh yourself twice in quick succession and they give weights that might vary by as much as two kg. My modus operandi is to weigh myself 10 times and take the lowest reading (sad, but true). If I record 113.2, you can normally be pretty sure that I have also weighed 115.5 in the same minute.

This morning, however, all 10 weighings were the same, at 114.4kg. I think the scales must be broken...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #4151 on: 27 May, 2013, 10:40:30 am »

Our scales are pretty inaccurate in that you can weigh yourself twice in quick succession and they give weights that might vary by as much as two kg. My modus operandi is to weigh myself 10 times and take the lowest reading (sad, but true). If I record 113.2, you can normally be pretty sure that I have also weighed 115.5 in the same minute.

This morning, however, all 10 weighings were the same, at 114.4kg. I think the scales must be broken...

Probably RSI ?? :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4152 on: 27 May, 2013, 11:10:56 am »
Two weeks of idleness has allowed an increase of half a kg to manifest itself.Fewer calories & more exercise needed.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4153 on: 27 May, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »

Probably RSI ?? :)
Well, yes. It is a sobering thought that if I weigh myself 8 times the poor scales have had to put up with a ton of me standing on them.

« Reply #4154 on: 28 May, 2013, 08:48:42 am »
Sunday 6pm: 91.6kg
Monday 6pm: 87.9kg

No prizes for guessing what caused that...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4155 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:14:06 am »
You had an arm removed?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4156 on: 28 May, 2013, 09:16:20 am »
Lost your wallet?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4157 on: 28 May, 2013, 12:45:30 pm »
He was awarded the OBE.
(Open Both Ends)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4158 on: 29 May, 2013, 07:38:05 am »
Horrible week. Fell off the keto wagon a bit. Not good, got lazy with the diet after our honeymoon. I've got some big rides coming up, so I need to other advantages.

Time to be a bit stricter again for a while.

« Reply #4159 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:13:25 am »
Horrible week. Fell off the keto wagon a bit. Not good, got lazy with the diet after our honeymoon. I've got some big rides coming up, so I need to other advantages.

Time to be a bit stricter again for a while.
I had nothing on Saturday's 300k, power wise, so dove into carbs in the hope I'd get a boost. I did not, despite a whole bag of jelly babies and 3 slices of fruit cake. I was still 'empty'. I didn't even enjoy the jelly babies.
Turned out I was coming down with a cold- rivers of snot on Sunday. Worst thing about it was that they just made me hungry. Rubbish. No1Daughter made a delicious blueberry cake that did indeed taste, well, delicious, but the cost is so high!

Back to righteousness this week. You know it makes sense hulver. Love the lard.

I'm finding it a bit of a struggle, really, in that I'm a bit bored with it. Doubtless this is my lack of imagination, as it's not very restrictive as a diet. Or possibly I'm bored generally, and not all that hungry, so haven't the same enthusiasm for food. Which should be a good thing, but isn't.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4160 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:10:00 am »
I'm finding it a bit of a struggle, really, in that I'm a bit bored with it. Doubtless this is my lack of imagination, as it's not very restrictive as a diet. Or possibly I'm bored generally, and not all that hungry, so haven't the same enthusiasm for food. Which should be a good thing, but isn't.

I'm fairly bored of it as well. My love of food has gone, it's now either stuff to be avoided or tolerated. I've also been thinking that I lack the imagination to make a variety of interesting and tasty low carb food.

I bought a low carb cook book, but reading it nothing jumped out at me and said "Mmmm, that sounds nice", it was all "Oh well, it would be better than a slice of ham and a chunk of cheese I suppose".

Once LEL is over, I'm going to be less strict. Introducing the occasional pasta dish, and nice bread.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4161 on: 29 May, 2013, 10:35:50 am »
I had a spell of mental strength and almost got into some (comparatively) good habits like avoiding cake at work and resisting the lure of the takeaway pizzas.

Then somehow I fell off the wagon and into old ways, which sadly are far too familiar and comfortable. The next few days are going to need to be strict then hopefully it'll settle back down to slow progress again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4162 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:12:38 am »
Hmm.

Starts again here.

Combinations of physical illness, stress, depression, lost mojo, baby issues and steroid have sent things a long way in the wrong direction.

*sigh*
Getting there...

« Reply #4163 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:33:43 am »
Hmm.

Starts again here.

Combinations of physical illness, stress, depression, lost mojo, baby issues and steroid have sent things a long way in the wrong direction.

*sigh*
Weightloss sites/resources always say things like "it took you years to put on the weight, it'll take you years to lose it". Which might be partly true, but I see you, like me, put on a kilo a week without trying. Losing a kilo a week takes a feck of a lot more than skipping the afternoon doughnut.

One of those jogging pushchairs?  :-\ Good luck

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4164 on: 29 May, 2013, 11:42:43 am »
Thanks.

I think I need to push some pedals.
Getting there...

« Reply #4165 on: 29 May, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »
I don't. I think cycling is completely rubbish for weight management.
You can eat while you're riding, and that time outdoors just builds appetite. Unless you're going to do 100k+ every day, or hammer every ride, I think it makes depressingly little difference, unless your base activity is Zero. And despite your lack-of-mojo, you're certainly not a couch potato.

« Reply #4166 on: 29 May, 2013, 12:51:36 pm »
Just booked in for a body composition analysis in 2.5 weeks time, 15 years since the last one and I'm hoping the impending deadline will help motivate me to shift these last 4 pounds.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4167 on: 29 May, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »
No weight to report today but the new, smaller trousers I bought last week seem even baggier round the tummy now.  :)
(Everything is always snug on the hips and big on the waist for me.)
My ankles have swelled up quite a bit so I'm probably storing water there.

« Reply #4168 on: 29 May, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »
Did my first 200km Audax on Saturday this year.Put on 3kg according to my scales ::-)WTF have had a few beers since though and been feeling tired and hungry.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4169 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:20:30 pm »
Injured muscles swell and gain water.
Don't weigh yourself (or at least beat yourself up about your weight) for a fortnight.
This is a temporary blip!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4170 on: 29 May, 2013, 08:25:50 pm »
Cool to weigh yourself *immediately* after a long ride though ;)

(Just don't expect it to last  ;D)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4171 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:01:44 pm »
Don't weigh yourself (or at least beat yourself up about your weight) for a fortnight.
Thankyou.

Chris S

« Reply #4172 on: 29 May, 2013, 09:13:24 pm »

A fortnight? Lordy! We're doing at least 300km every weekend at the moment!!   ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4173 on: 29 May, 2013, 10:33:29 pm »

A fortnight? Lordy! We're doing at least 300km every weekend at the moment!!   ;D

There's a HUGE physiological difference between 'the first 200 this year' and a brevet per weekend.

nightrider's body has not yet adapted...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4174 on: 30 May, 2013, 09:32:23 am »
I seem to have lost almost 3kg this month. I wish I could do that every month until the end of the year.