Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300560 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4300 on: 08 August, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »
ADH rules! Rest well and ride when you feel up to it.
The weight will go!

« Reply #4301 on: 08 August, 2013, 08:54:12 pm »
Got to my target weight a few weeks ago of 85kg.Got weighed today after my bike ride and I am down to 83kg.I still feel strong though so not too concerned. I have done no special diet,but have switched from processed food to homecooked.IE I make my own sauces when I used to use jars.Still eat cakes or whatever on rides but don't buy it from supermarkets anymore.I now cycle about 600 miles a month and feel great.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4302 on: 09 August, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
Need to get back 'on the wagon' (ie. fasting) this week. Been a bit lax lately, skipped fasting days and been scoffing sweeties. Over 73kg last week, only just under this week. Let the intermittent starvation commence!
Embrace your inner Fred.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4303 on: 09 August, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
Need to get back 'on the wagon' (ie. fasting) this week. Been a bit lax lately, skipped fasting days and scoffing sweeties. Over 73kg last week, only just under this week. Let the intermittent starvation commence!

I've just joined you. Fast Day 2 was yesterday so I'll keep an eye on what happens.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4304 on: 09 August, 2013, 01:42:30 pm »
When I was last fit, a bit of a mountain goat, riding up the hills of South Wales without a care. I weighed around 75Kg which was OK for my below average 1.73m height.  When I was lighter I looked thin and drawn, I clicked as I walked so I did not think that was very good. Then I let myself go.  I have not ridden an audax for 4 years. I began to slowly put on weight.  My weight cycles throughout the year.  I used to increase a little in the Winter.  Two years ago I had two crashes which kept me off the bike during my commute and my already increasing weight jumped.  I was a little distressed last year when I didn't lose any weight. At Christmas time I had only one pair of trousers I could wear the other 36" trousers just would not fit. The scales sneered at me, "88Kg 33% fat". BMI 29.3

Without changing my lifestyle in any noticeable way I have finally started losing a bit of that fat.  The scales no longer scream at me to get off and teases "83.4Kg 24% fat" BMI 27.8.

Before I get too excited. I noticed all my 36" trousers were now loose. So I measured the comfortable last hole on my belt to the buckle with a tape measure.  It measured 36" exactly. I also noticed that the belt labeled 36/38 was 40" at the first hole. I couldn't find a useful belt last Christmas. I expect a generously cut 34" would fit me but I would be deluding myself.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4305 on: 10 August, 2013, 11:22:50 am »
Well a day's fasting (approx. 600-700 calories intake in 24 hours) has led to exactly 1kg weight loss. Most of that will be water and/or empty stomach. However more encouraging is the 4cm off my waistline since I last measured it about a month ago. Something is goiing right again. I was a bit worried I'd chucked all the progress away by guzzling sweets and biscuits the past fortnight and skipping fasting for a week.

I will keep going and see if I can continue this pattern, or if I hit 'stasis' again in a few weeks...
Embrace your inner Fred.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4306 on: 11 August, 2013, 09:47:53 pm »
Today I weighed myself.  And discovered I am twelve stone and a bit. Ok its a big bit, twelve stone thirteen and half pounds but it is the lightest I have been for some time. Unfortunately it was not at my weighing time.  I weigh myself when I come home from work.  This way I have a consistent figure to compare. Before todays random  weighing I had walked eight miles.  Since then I have had Sunday dinner with more than half a bottle of wine (Ch Beau-Site 2005)  and gallons of tea with biscuits so I am fed and hydrated. So I am probably still above thirteen stone but only just.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4307 on: 12 August, 2013, 11:35:16 am »
The kilo lost seems to be staying off. Just another 2kg to go to my target weight.....if only it were that easy!
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4308 on: 17 August, 2013, 06:10:00 pm »
David is now down to 58.5kg. His tummy is rather fragile and he's exercising like crazy.
I seem to be up to 64kg but have not eaten much 'bad stuff'.
My size 12 trousers are not getting tighter so I suspect the fat loss continues, albeit slowly.

I'm going to have to feed David up a bit soon. (BMI 19.5)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4309 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
David is now down to 58kg and we've agreed he should not lose any more weight.
I've not been weighed recently.

« Reply #4310 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:09:27 pm »
Two weeks en France have had the expected effect.  Sigh.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4311 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:32:24 am »
Well looking at my long term trend I seem to be on a slow downward trajectory again at last.  I haven't yet gotten around to putting  in my 2012 figure but I did a serious plunge of about 4 stone from June 2012 to about Jan/Feb 2013 and then it rebounded by nearly a stone when I started audaxing properly and rediscovered my appetite.  I may have gained muscle mass in the old leg department too - the thighs and calves are certainly looking nicely toned these days  :thumbsup:

I've now lost 3 1/2 stone in total from the beginning of my cycling 'career' since June 2012 and it looks like I've maintained a slow drop since about May now.  Lesson learned is that I have had to control my eating/drinking as well as doing shed loads of cycling (which was enough to begin with).  I think my target weight of 90 kg is a rather distant dream currently though  ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4312 on: 04 September, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
I've gained 3kg since the weekend. Since Monday 6am in fact.
Go me!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4313 on: 04 September, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
That all you can eat deal from the McAllister Steak house is a killer eh? ;)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

simonp

« Reply #4314 on: 04 September, 2013, 11:14:20 am »
First official weigh-in since Spanish holiday; 75.0kg.

Well, I was heavier on Sunday, so that's 1.5kg of win.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4315 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »
I must be one of the few people who came back from their summer holiday lighter than when I went away. Not a great deal lighter, but lighter none the less.

This must be in large part because we were camping, so I had relatively limited access to food - I couldn't just go and raid the larder any time I felt a bit peckish. Another factor could be sleep - the thing about camping (for me, at least) is that you tend to get up when it gets light and go to bed when it gets dark, which means no staying up into the middle of the night watching crap on telly, which means more and better quality sleep.

There's probably a lesson in there.

Also, I was very moderate in my alcohol consumption - only three bottles of not especially strong beer over the whole two weeks I was off work.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4316 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:22:34 pm »
My summer holiday was LEL. I lost a whole fecking kilogram.
I did follow your 'limited alcohol, proper sleeping' regimen though, citoyen.

« Reply #4317 on: 04 September, 2013, 01:40:23 pm »
My holidays were a relative success. I put on just under 5kg in 10 days. Then took off 5 kg in the following week. I think it was waste and water retention.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4318 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
I did follow your 'limited alcohol, proper sleeping' regimen though, citoyen.

That would be a reasonable weekly rate of weight loss if only it were possible to do LEL every week...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4319 on: 04 September, 2013, 03:48:30 pm »
My holidays were a relative success. I put on just under 5kg in 10 days. Then took off 5 kg in the following week. I think it was waste and water retention.

Watch half of yacf observe the same phenomenon over Christmas/New Year...

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4320 on: 04 September, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »
Up a smidgen on last week, due to no fasting yesterday. I was out on a 200k DIY audax instead. Ease of access to Co-ops, baked goods emporia, ice cream and sweeties may have helped me up the hills but not my weight. Waistline still trimming though: 4cm lost in the past 6 weeks or so. Back to fasting tomorrow...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4321 on: 04 September, 2013, 07:59:27 pm »
No weigh in for me this week as I'm away for work. Not looking forward to next week after a week in a pub with rather good beer and very good food!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #4322 on: 04 September, 2013, 08:44:06 pm »
Graphs updated for the first time in a few weeks…

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4323 on: 04 September, 2013, 08:59:04 pm »

I think I dropped about 3 or 4kg over the event, with another 1 or 2 in the following week or so!  Volunteer next time, it's clearly more effective ;)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4324 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:36:53 am »
[Shuffles to feet, stares at the floor, clears throat ...]

"Hello, my name's Oscar's dad.  For the first time in my life I have decided to go on a diet and lose some weight.  So I thought I'd join this thread for some help and encouragement.  Thanks for listening."