Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300841 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4400 on: 05 October, 2013, 07:43:04 pm »
Happened to find a book on my e reader and thought to delete then thought to have a peep. the book is called the 4 -hour body by Timonthy Ferriss.

It will not work for all, that is a definite, but it is working for my wife and I. We have lost some 100 lbs between us, and she is now a ten and I am tween a 32 and 34 waist from 16/18 amd 36 heading for 38 waist respectively.  ;D

In essence it is avoid carbs apart from one day a week when you are encourage to gorge on all the naughties. Choccy, fill yer boots, etc. the day after the "cheat" day as we call it our weight can shoot up by as much as 6 lbs or more, and by the next weigh day which for us is the morning of the cheat day we are back to par or down a pound or two. What is interesting though is one is asked to measure. Thighs, bum, tum, and upper arms are all measured weekly and over time they shrink. Some weeks there is no weight loss as such but there is inches loss.

So it's worth a read, and cough might possibly be found as a torrent file... I hear. I ended up buying the book so I have my official copy. ;)

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4401 on: 05 October, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »
I also find the tape measure is my friend when the scales are unfriendly. Our waists are down to 28-9 inches and we are both two sizes less than we were.

We are just eating less in general and less junk in particular.

« Reply #4402 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:52:28 am »
70Kg and seemingly still falling (down from a high of 85kg).

Still eating junk, far too much sugar, lots of crisps. Still drinking, probably 2 bottles of red a week, some beer.
Still not eating dairy and avoiding saturated fats in general. Eating lots of nuts.

Totally gone off smell of butter, cream or milk. Used to eat a block of butter a week, at least.

I guess this suggests that my body is a saturated fat store.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4403 on: 10 October, 2013, 12:15:40 pm »
I can say that the 5:2 'fad' diet works for me - when I can be arsed to stick to it.

Ultimately, whether fad or not, dieting is all about willpower. I had a harsh lesson in this simple fact when I stopped the fasting regime for a few weeks, and promptly started piling on the kilos.

Back on the wagon, for now...
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #4404 on: 13 October, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
Well I’m on the waggon after a trip to the doctors who has given me between 5 and 10 years to live if I don’t lose some serious weight as it seems my diabetes which has always been controlled with diet isn’t under control any more (9.3 units over the last six months. Its not been over 6 units for a six month period for as long as I can remember) and my BP has run away with itself again: it was down to 140:85 but once again is well over 190:105…. Not good for a bloke with a family history of strokes and heart attacks.

My real reason for heading to the doctors was chest pains however. These I put down to Acid Reflux, something suffered from last year and which cleared up nicely with a course of Omeprozole. However, this time I didn’t have the sore throat so was worried that it might be something more serious. The doctor said its most likely to be acid reflux as the pain is worse when laying down or swimming, but doesn’t really bother me when cycling or walking. Just to be safe, I have a stress test ECG booked for next Monday. Give Stafford Hospital its dues (and I always thought they were much better than the stories which did the rounds a year or two back), that’s a really quick appointment. Not sure if I should be worried that its so quick or pleased...pleased I guess.

Anyway, I started dieting last week and so far have lost 3.3kg….only about another 40 to go…. Or 50 if you believe the weight charts!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4405 on: 13 October, 2013, 11:32:39 am »
^^^  Sounds like a nasty wake up call.  Good luck, that must have been seriously tough news to take.

I stayed the same last week.  Some re-focusing required.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4406 on: 13 October, 2013, 12:33:52 pm »
Sounds worrying, e.
Hope all goes well with stress test.

I've little idea what my own weight is doing. I've not been weighed for nearly a fortnight but I've eaten little junk and I don't seem to be getting bigger.
At my weight any loss is not essential but I'd still like to shed some blubber (flab is inevitable if you've been heavier and are middle-aged).

Best of luck and persist with whatever eating plan you have; it's a L-O-N-G journey!

« Reply #4407 on: 13 October, 2013, 01:11:42 pm »
I can say that the 5:2 'fad' diet works for me - when I can be arsed to stick to it.

Ultimately, whether fad or not, dieting is all about willpower. I had a harsh lesson in this simple fact when I stopped the fasting regime for a few weeks, and promptly started piling on the kilos.

Back on the wagon, for now...

I disagree with this. There are tricks that don't need much if any will power to enact. Smaller plates, satiety promoting foods, remembering to drink lots of water, avoiding purchasing hedonic snack food for starters.

I do need some willpower to remember to log my food, but I find if I keep my house free from hedonic snacks and keep within the -500 - 0 kcal deficit window, I can keep pretty stable weight and not feel like I'm constantly resisting temptation.

We live in an obesogenic environment. Trying to keep it from intruding into our homes dies require a bit if planning, but the reward is that tempting food doesn't constantly intrude in your thoughts.

Why bother? That's for you to answer. For me, it's a bit about health risks in the long term, and about about self experimentation. Being skinny isn't an intrinsically compelling experience, I find. Being quick up the hills is a nice bonus.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4408 on: 13 October, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »
I think Dr Mekon's advice is sound yet:

I use large plates to prevent making a mess.
I need LOTS of space for my lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers and tomatoes.

We do have hedonic snacks but in modest quantities. Partner complained this morning that the biscuits were getting soft; I think that packet has been in the biscuit barrel for a couple of months and there are still 11 biscuits left.

We love our butter and mayonnaise but don't have very much. We don't have 'light' versions of anything except squash and hot chocolate.

David is now skinny with a BMI of 19.
I am still trying to shed a bit and have a BMI of around 23.

For us, portion control, limited snacking and 'cutting out/down the junk' seem to have worked slowly. We don't count calories but I look up what's in pub meals we may eat and choose accordingly. Most of the food we eat at home is portion-cotrolled and/or low-fat low carb anyway.

We aren't fad dieting.

« Reply #4409 on: 16 October, 2013, 06:44:59 pm »
I've not been posting my weight for the last couple of weeks.  Too depressing.  :-[
But, on Sunday evening (after a night of 'at least enough' drinking and far too much food, MrsC decided that we would try not having anything alcoholic on Sunday evening.
Then on Monday, and then again last night.  If we can keep this up (school days only is the plan) we might turn a corner.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4410 on: 16 October, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
I just wish I could do that middle path properly; my weight goes up and down like a slinky on acid.

I get it down, stabilise for a while, then go through a period of not riding so much (the last six months) and pile it on. Now I'm back on my bike and it's dropping away at a steady 2Kg+ a week,  without too much effort - cut out booze, eat sensibly, ride. I will hit my salopette fitting weight for xmas, but I just wish it didn't all happen so quickly. I've got a bit better so over the last three years I've only fluctuated 10 - 12Kg but the top end is un fun.

Oh well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4411 on: 16 October, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »
No weight to report as not weighed AGAIN. i've been pretty 'good' about my food intake so I hope not to have gained. Time will tell.

simonp

« Reply #4412 on: 16 October, 2013, 10:38:50 pm »
I'm fed up of being 74-75kg so have started counting calories again.

Today is day 1. I have burned off over 2000 calories doing a 50 mile round trip commute.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4413 on: 17 October, 2013, 12:47:20 am »
I seem to be hovering at the same sort of weight for a few weeks now. I realise I've been kidding myself and not counting the odd "Slips?"
The hardest thing for me seems to be balancing it so that I eat regularly, I never seem to eat through the morning and early afternoon and then Pig out on an evening before bed.  I am going to try and make myself be bothered and have something, just basic porridge or whatever, on a morning and get some fruit through the day as well.  I'm beating the smoking addiction pretty well at the moment and that was the main thing I had to concentrate on if I wanted to survive the year. I think I have it beaten enough that I  can start to take on the responsibility of eating with health and weight loss as the target now.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4414 on: 17 October, 2013, 08:54:40 am »
'dog, not eating breakfast isn't necessarily a bad thing.
(Source:http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938413001479)

And here:
http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/08/5-reasons-to-skip-breakfast.html

Remember, not all calories are equal.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4415 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:04:14 am »
On Tuesday evening I saw the "exercise makes you fat" thing in action.  I met up with a colleague in Alton and we went for a 35 mile spin.  My colleague Steve is a Fast Little F*&ker and the terrain wasn't particularly flat. 

I had eaten breakfast and lunch but not dinner.  On our return to Alton at about 9:30pm we dived into the local curry house.  Two popadoms, a tandoori chicken biryani with accompanying veggie curry plus 2 large bottles of beer disappeared down my throat in no time at all.  There was a certain amount of indigestion in the small hours of Wednesday morning - serves me right!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4416 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:55:38 am »
On Tuesday evening I saw the "exercise makes you fat" thing in action.  I met up with a colleague in Alton and we went for a 35 mile spin.  My colleague Steve is a Fast Little F*&ker and the terrain wasn't particularly flat. 

I had eaten breakfast and lunch but not dinner.  On our return to Alton at about 9:30pm we dived into the local curry house.  Two popadoms, a tandoori chicken biryani with accompanying veggie curry plus 2 large bottles of beer disappeared down my throat in no time at all.  There was a certain amount of indigestion in the small hours of Wednesday morning - serves me right!

Lightweight! :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4417 on: 17 October, 2013, 10:46:02 am »

Lightweight! :P

I'm working on becoming a lightweight  :P   :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4418 on: 21 October, 2013, 09:08:57 am »
I've been 13 stone 4 pounds for the last 3 weekly weigh ins.  I imagine this is because my calorie intake and  expenditure have reached equilibrium.  On Saturday I did 85 miles, some off-road, and the ache in my legs told me I'd worked quite hard.  On Sunday morning I was down by 2 pounds, but this morning I was back at 13 stone 4.  The 2 pound loss must have been down to dehydration on Saturday - I always sweat quite a lot.

If come the end of the month I'm still stuck at the same weight I'm having a booze free November.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4419 on: 21 October, 2013, 11:50:44 am »
Lost 2.5kgs last week after a health scare (which is now less scary as I think I've ruled out the worst options). It puts me right off my food which is very unlike me!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

essexian

« Reply #4420 on: 21 October, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »
Well my weight is down to "only" 127.7kg from 131.9 when I started but I just had some bad news from the hospital where they would not do a stress test on my heart as they said my blood pressure made it too risky...... er swam for 900m on Saturday and went for a muddy 20km ride yesterday without any major chest pains.

They have told me to go back to my GP and get yet more pills and to come back in a month when I have lost more weight.

On the positive note, my line manager is worried that the changes we have had at work, which I objected to as they are WRONG, has caused my chest pains....... wonders off to see if I can use that to my advantage (joking!!!!)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4421 on: 25 October, 2013, 11:13:49 pm »
our grandparents hold the secret to being skinny:

1. Eat food… Don’t eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.

2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. Don’t forget that margarine, one of the first industrial foods to claim that it was healthier than the traditional food it replaced, turned out to give people heart attacks.

3. Especially avoid food products containing ingredients that are a) unfamiliar, b) unpronounceable c) more than five in number – or that contain high-fructose corn syrup. None of these characteristics are necessarily harmful in and of themselves, but all of them are reliable markers for foods that have been highly processed.

4. Get out of the supermarket whenever possible. You won’t find any high-fructose corn syrup at the farmer’s market; you also won’t find food harvested long ago and far away. What you will find are fresh whole foods picked at the peak of nutritional quality. Precisely the kind of food your great-great-grandmother would have recognized as food.

5. Pay more, eat less. There’s no escaping the fact that better food – measured by taste or nutritional quality (which often correspond) – costs more, because it has been grown or raised less intensively and with more care.

6. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves … By eating a plant-based diet, you’ll be consuming far fewer calories, since plant foods (except seeds) are typically less” energy dense” than the other things you might eat.

7. Eat more like the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks. Confounding factors aside, people who eat according to the rules of a traditional food culture are generally healthier than we are. Any traditional diet will do: if it weren’t a healthy diet, the people who follow it wouldn’t still be around.

8. Cook. And if you can, plant a garden. The culture of the kitchen, as embodied in those enduring traditions we call cuisines, contains more wisdom about diet and health than you are apt to find in any nutrition journal. Plus, the food you grow yourself contributes to your health long before you sit down to eat it.

9. Eat like an omnivore. Try to add new species, not just new foods, to your diet. The greater the diversity of species you eat, the more likely you are to cover all your nutritional bases.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4422 on: 26 October, 2013, 12:01:54 am »
I'm not allowed fruits and leaves from Sunday to Thursday this week (procedure on Thursday). The low-res diet sheet the hospital has given me includes only white or whitish foods. I probably will gain no weight but I'm sure low-res food could be more interesting without compromising its qualities.
I really wonder who wrote this; there is scope for improvement but methinks most patients in my situation are so relieved to escape they can't be bothered to comment.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4423 on: 26 October, 2013, 12:12:37 am »
I managed to drop just over 1kg this week. Situation is stressful so I assume that is the main thing, add to that the fact that I haven't eaten my "Tradition innit!" two tubes of Pringles a night this last week. Cycled just over 30, slow, miles in the past 4 days so I am starting to push the Immovable object on the rails a little.
I WILL be 121kg or less by the end of November!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4424 on: 26 October, 2013, 12:18:09 am »
I doubt I'll reach my 60kg target by New Year's Eve but I'll keep trying to lose weight until I do.