Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300782 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4550 on: 09 January, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25118857

Even if you are metabolically healthy being obese carries long term risks.

« Reply #4551 on: 09 January, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25118857

Even if you are metabolically healthy being obese carries long term risks.

We need numbers, not hearsay.

simonp

« Reply #4552 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »

That’s numberwang!

« Reply #4553 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
Anyone seen the new Paul McKenna book ?

I got on very well with his "I can make you thin", stayed lowish for a couple of years, last year took a wrong turn after I came back from Catalonia and instead of staying in the 88-93 band I bounced back over to 100Kg, going back again now. Just wish I didn't enjoy food and wine so much..... Wondered if anyone had a view of it. (tbh, I'm probably going to click on the buy button anyhow, just annoyed it isn't on Kindle)

Not sure from the blurb it speaks to me, but £6 has to be worth a punt.

ETA

· Do you wish you ate less? WISH isn't the word I'd use, tbh
· Do you eat to control your feelings? not really
· Do you ever feel frustrated and hopeless about your weight? Again not the description I'd use
· Do you wish that you felt differently about food, about yourself, and about life? yes, yes and no, no

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4554 on: 10 January, 2014, 08:35:58 am »
I'm not a high performance athlete... Getting my 10 mile time down from a long 21 to a short 21 or better...

Yeah, OK, so you're no Tony Martin, that much is clear. ;)

Jeez, Lady C! How many women (or men, FWIW) are capable of a 21 minute 10 mile? I'd say that makes you a Serious Athlete!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4555 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:11:16 am »

Aye, I'm instantly wary of any report that opens with "research suggests" or "a study has found".

Especially if it's on the BBC website (which usually means it's been inaccurately copied from somewhere else).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4556 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:21:43 am »
Well, at least I'm consistent. Weight has been identical all week, same again this morning.....

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4557 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:33:46 am »

That’s numberwang!

PoTD  ;D

(not necessarily for anything other than it put a big fat smile on my face, if I'm allowed to have a fat smile in this thread ;))
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #4558 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:46:56 am »

Aye, I'm instantly wary of any report that opens with "research suggests" or "a study has found".

Especially if it's on the BBC website (which usually means it's been inaccurately copied from somewhere else).
Correlation is not causation.

Quote from: Denise Minger
I’m not saying correlation equals causation. I’m just saying maybe we should think about switching to Google Plus.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-time-to-retire-the-low-carb-diet-fad/#ixzz2pzGvavZf

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4559 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:09:03 am »
As good a reason to give up Facebook as any though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4560 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:47:45 pm »
fboab, that is so funny I'm going to steal it and post on.....you know where.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4561 on: 11 January, 2014, 02:03:19 pm »
Dropped 3kg since Christmas. Fitbit sez:

Just another 23kg to go...  :'(

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4562 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:07:52 pm »
Dropped 3kg since Christmas. Fitbit sez:

Just another 23kg to go...  :'(

Starting to get close to double figures though :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4563 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:11:48 pm »
Weekly weigh in 10st 8.2lbs. 1.8lbs lost this week.

8.2lbs to go. :)

Nearly all the Christmas food is gone now thankfully.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4564 on: 11 January, 2014, 05:16:24 pm »
I seem to have gained half a kilo.
This is not very good.

« Reply #4565 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:54:56 pm »
Ah, back to courting my friend "hunger".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4566 on: 15 January, 2014, 11:34:31 am »
Fell off the wagon big time this week as far as the fasting goes. Big dose of CBA. As a result, added 1.7 kg to my weight.  :(

Must. Be. More. Disciplined.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4567 on: 15 January, 2014, 12:21:04 pm »

Correlation is not causation.

Quote from: Denise Minger
I’m not saying correlation equals causation. I’m just saying maybe we should think about switching to Google Plus.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-time-to-retire-the-low-carb-diet-fad/#ixzz2pzGvavZf

He was on the telly this morning. Seems he doesn't know how to make an omelette.

« Reply #4568 on: 15 January, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »
I'm up from yesterday, but down for the week.

I've decided a key food on my non fasting days is avocado, I need to create a pipeline, that delivers me ripe avocados every other day.

« Reply #4569 on: 15 January, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »
I'm up from yesterday, but down for the week.

I've decided a key food on my non fasting days is avocado, I need to create a pipeline, that delivers me ripe avocados every other day.

Last wednesday I went shopping, as is usual. When I got home I removed the weekly shop from the boot, only to find 2 stray avocados - that had been there since Dec 23rd. They were perfect! I've yet to decide if this will be my default ripening procedure.

On another note, in the Dom Rep they call avocado "green chicken" such is it's prevalence and usefulness as a foodstuff,
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Chris S

« Reply #4570 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:20:59 am »
Ugh. I'm about 10 days into keto-adaptation, but unlike last year when we took it really easy for the first three weeks or so, I'm full-on weight-training and also cross-training.

Probably a mistake - as I'm noticing a much bigger drop in performance on the bike; especially climbing.

I've also be playing with 16/8 fasting - as it solves the whole "What to have for breakfast" conundrum that stalks low-carbers; by simply not having any. Couldn't manage that today though - getting home from my 40km ride from Bury, I was bloody starving. An hour and 1500kcals later (outside a stack of low-carb pancakes, Blueberries, Cream and two strong black coffees) and I'm feeling much better  ;D.

I suspect I'd overshoot any calorie target today, by some margin. Just as well low-carbers don't really track calories!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4571 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:34:30 am »
I have decided to buy some new bathroom scales.

Our existing set has been annoying me for quite a long time but their vacillating between 109kg and 118kg was just too much. I wasn't even farting at the time.

I'm going for the Salter Academy ones. £70 is a bit steep, but I reckon I will be able to read the dial.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4572 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:19:36 am »
Still going in the right direction by avoiding snacking and large desserts.

Mondays weigh in for the pre op assessment showed 79.3kg and wednesday at home the scales were oscilating between 78.5 and 79kg. Therefore I am loosing between 0.5 and 1 kg a week just by being a little more sensible with what I eat, hopefully once repaired by the docs I can add some exersize into the mix and loose the mass slightly quicker.

« Reply #4573 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:57:59 pm »
I have decided to buy some new bathroom scales.

Our existing set has been annoying me for quite a long time but their vacillating between 109kg and 118kg was just too much. I wasn't even farting at the time.

I'm going for the Salter Academy ones. £70 is a bit steep, but I reckon I will be able to read the dial.

These are readable from a distance http://www.johnlewis.com/salter-9050-reverse-electronic-bathroom-scale-glass/p148970

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4574 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:34:46 pm »
Thanks, but I'm fed up with digital ones. I've already got a set of Salter digitals and they are the ones that can't make up their mind how much I weigh.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.