Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300601 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4750 on: 05 February, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
I got a leather belt. On the inside, I wrote "32" at the hole that was 32 inches from the buckle. Likewise "33" at the hole 33 inches and "31" at the hole 31 inches from the buckle.

When I start needing the 32 hole, I cut down on food, and try to get some 100 km rides after work.

A measuring belt seems like a good idea. 32" round the trousers is probably 30" on the naked skin, I should guess.

red marley

« Reply #4751 on: 05 February, 2014, 02:17:27 pm »
That reminds me of an uncertainty I have with taking a waist measurement. My belt tends to be a little tight around my waist in order to hold my trousers up, displacing any flab up and over. So if I take a measurement, 'belt circumference' is probably 2-3cm narrower than a relaxed circumference with no pinching. Likewise, back posture probably accounts for 1-2cm variation. I realise, for comparison over time, consistency is the key, but which measurements are people using?

Chris S

« Reply #4752 on: 05 February, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
I use my belly button as a guide - it doesn't move (at least I don't think so!). I'm fattest around that plane, so it's as good as anything - and makes it easier to be consistent.

Fat caliper use is the same - you use the hip-bone as a guide - and grab the fold about 2" above it. With practice, I think I've got more and more consistent.

simonp

« Reply #4753 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:10:39 pm »
Racing Weight Cookbook arrived today. Some interesting recipes. I’m going to have to make the walnut and blueberry pancakes.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4754 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:44:21 pm »
A good read is that of Dave Willoughby.
If your search engine has problems, here is the link.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/is-your-waist-properly-proportioned.html

So according to that my waist should be 31 inches. I think it was around that when I was 22.....any allowance for middle age?
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4755 on: 05 February, 2014, 05:37:07 pm »
Apparently not!
My pin-thin partner is about 5'9" tall and weighs 60kg (132lb).
His waist measures 29".
He's nearly 50.

« Reply #4756 on: 06 February, 2014, 10:33:59 am »
I've sat down, and plugged more data into my spreadsheet. If (and that's a big if) my body composition monitors are to be believed, I started the year with 22kg total fat, of that 13.3kg was sub cutaneous, and 8.8kg was visceral. After one month, total fat is down to 19.5kg, just over a 2kg loss and that's split into a 1.4kg of sub cutaneous fat loss, and 1.2kg of visceral fat loss, along with a 500g loss of muscle.

The body composition monitor just gives me percentage of type of fat and muscle, so I'm having to make quite a few assumptions with my maths.

Going to start doing some resistance work, ie push ups and kettle bell stuff, and monitor it again for the next month.

simonp

« Reply #4757 on: 06 February, 2014, 11:35:40 pm »
Tonight I made tomato, basil and pearl barley soup. As far as I can tell, it isn’t very calorific, but is very filling. Very nice too.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4758 on: 07 February, 2014, 12:17:40 am »
over 1kg down in the last week! Had a slice of brie and a nice apple to celebrate. 126.5kg now.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4759 on: 07 February, 2014, 09:42:59 am »

Did anyone have the guts to read this?

;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #4760 on: 07 February, 2014, 07:20:35 pm »

Did anyone have the guts to read this?

;D :thumbsup:

I have too many guts to read this (again):)

Lost 2.5kgs this week - 94.5 to 92. Now very hungry, but feeling better already.

I was spurred into action by a chance visit to the doctor and her blood pressure machine.

« Reply #4761 on: 11 February, 2014, 10:24:45 am »
Doing exercise has increased increased my appetite, so my desire was stronger than my willpower. Exercise seems to result in over compensation on intake. Must remember I am not a professional athlete, I'm someone who sits at a desk...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4762 on: 11 February, 2014, 11:08:33 am »
The weight reports page isn't opening properly at the moment.

If you add the extension ;wap2 to the end of your web address you can access the wap version which at least gets you in.

eg: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78947.25;wap2
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4763 on: 12 February, 2014, 08:13:08 am »
Thanks for that tip, mcshroom. Done mine .
 Managed to reverse last weeks gain, despite a weekend in Edinburgh watching rugby. Lots of walking made up for the wrong type of food.
Mrs m is on the bandwagon now, so meals are becoming more salad orientated.

« Reply #4764 on: 12 February, 2014, 08:27:38 am »
Injured, inactive, depressed. An unsurprising gain.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4765 on: 12 February, 2014, 08:36:50 am »
I have officially given up for the remainder of February.  Real life has been extremely vexing recently and I've not been in the mood.  I have found solace in inappropriate foods and drinks that make you go all dizzy.  Mercifully real life seems to be getting better so the immediate future looks a bit brighter.

The 27th sees me attaining another birthday and I plan to celebrate in style.  But once we are in March I will be back in the programme as those colonials say.  I am doing a 300 at the end of April, a 400 at the end of May then in mid-June have a week cycling in the Alps to look forward to so there are plenty of reasons to get fit and shed some lard.

Good luck to all of you still fighting the good fight.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4766 on: 12 February, 2014, 09:04:13 am »
Hmm, yesterday was a fasting day and I managed to put on 400g during it ???

I'm guessing water
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4767 on: 12 February, 2014, 09:17:02 am »
A minor gain for me too, but there were a lot of changes last week. A weekend away, meant that I over indulged, and starting exercise again, meant that my appetite went up, and I probably over compensated.

Caught a documentary called my 600lb life, which features super fat people undergoing gastric reduction/bypass surgery etc. Saw one of the doctors there bollock one of his patients for carrying on drinking fizzy drinks after gastric reduction surgery, as the gases from the drink expand and stretch the belly. Decided to make a conscious effort to cut back on diet coke.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4768 on: 12 February, 2014, 09:45:08 am »
Down another kg. so far this month I have had no beer and reduced potions of food. The weather and a persistent sore throat have mostly kept me off the bike. I reckon I would have lost more weight if I had actually got some exercise.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4769 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
I reckon I would have lost more weight if I had actually got some exercise.
Probably not, tbh. You'd have built up an appetite riding, stopped for lunch, cake and a pleasant beer or two and had a much nicer time, but not have lost any more weight.
Waistlines are made in the kitchen, mostly. Low-level cardio exercise like cycling, unless your fitness level is very low, make almost no difference. If you planned to take up racing and trained hard (ie changing your exercise patterns dramatically), you might lose a bit of weight through exercise, but for most of us regular cyclists, not so much.

« Reply #4770 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:05:21 am »
Seem to be tracking at 0.75kg a week at the moment, but I think that the extra (I would have expected 0.5kg a week) is due to current lack of booze intake.

I'll still be happy with 0.5kg a week once I'm back on the booze (hopefully I won't go straight back to ~30 units a week!)

More running (e.g. Parkrun) starts when I'm down below 85kg.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #4771 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:13:12 am »
Finally lost some weight this week, down to 75.3kg. My weight has been pretty consistent in the mornings. I find it much easier to meet the calorie deficit I need if I am getting exercise.

« Reply #4772 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
I find it much easier to meet the calorie deficit I need if I am getting exercise.
I'm sure Wowbagger wont mind me saying that you probably exercise at a higher intensity than he does.

simonp

« Reply #4773 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:23:35 am »
I find it much easier to meet the calorie deficit I need if I am getting exercise.
I'm sure Wowbagger wont mind me saying that you probably exercise at a higher intensity than he does.

Hah, I hadn’t read Wowbagger’s post too carefully. High intensity is overrated anyway, I made myself feel sick on the rowing machine last night (and got nowhere near my PB).

red marley

« Reply #4774 on: 12 February, 2014, 11:55:59 am »
My weight is coming off at unprecedented levels, from a peak of over 74kg 10 months ago to a current weight of under 65kg. I am now about the same weight as I was as a 20 year old. This may have something to do with recent health issues, but what has certainly changed is that I am now doing longer, regular, but less intense daily exercise (2 x 1 hour walking/Boris Biking or 1 hour walking / 45 minutes swimming every day). I have found it easier to keep the food portions smaller than when previously doing hard weekend audaxing followed by the inevitable mid-week recovery munching.