Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300591 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4800 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
1 piece of dry toast Tuesday, nothing at all Wed Thurs Fri, (some calories taken in through a drip) hardly anything Saturday, bit more Sunday which was cancelled out and more on the bike.....

I've lost 100 grams *sigh* I've sort of given up with it now.

simonp

« Reply #4801 on: 19 February, 2014, 10:54:14 am »
I’m static this week. My weight used to fluctuate a lot more than this.

I’ve got a cold and haven’t done any exercise since the weekend but I am managing to stick to my calorie target reasonably well and only did one naughty last night (ice cream with my fruit salad instead of yoghurt).

I’m trying to update the graphs but doesn’t seem to be working properly, could be network trouble.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4802 on: 19 February, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
The measure for ‘Fat-bellyness’.

Lie on the floor. Relax. Place a spirit level diagonally from one Thoracic peak to the opposite acetabulum ( hip peak ).
If the spirit level is held above either of these two points by the belly, the belly is too big.

The acetabulum is the socket in the hip joint for the 'ball' of the femur.
The thinnest of us would be unable to get a spirit level anywhere near!

A yardstick placed between my two anterior superior iliac spines is clear of my belly if I lie on the floor.

« Reply #4803 on: 19 February, 2014, 02:29:19 pm »

Lie on the floor. Relax. Place a spirit level diagonally from one Thoracic peak to the opposite acetabulum ( hip peak ).
If the spirit level is held above either of these two points by the belly, the belly is too big.

A yardstick placed between my two anterior superior iliac spines is clear of my belly if I lie on the floor.

Yur the boss.

The diagonal technique was what I was shown.

Are you sure a YARDSTICK is necessary? A twelve inch rule, surely ???  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4804 on: 19 February, 2014, 04:03:11 pm »

Yur the boss.

The diagonal technique was what I was shown.

Are you sure a YARDSTICK is necessary? A twelve inch rule, surely ???  ;)

Diagonal technique might be a good thing but it's important to name the parts correctly. You have named the wrong parts IMO.

I have broad hips...  ;) ;D
(and my spirit level has inaccurate markings engraved).

« Reply #4805 on: 19 February, 2014, 06:48:12 pm »
Static after two weeks in a pub* will count as a win. Trouble is that's a total loss of 1lb since New Year's Day.
I think we call it 'starting again'.

*: I wasn't in the pub all the time, just the evenings and overnight. And it was for work.  :(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #4806 on: 19 February, 2014, 08:02:56 pm »
Moved house the last 4 days. Friends around to help, takeaways and wine. plus 1lb.

Now back to the regime...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4807 on: 19 February, 2014, 11:14:35 pm »
Another 1.3 kg down this week! Again despite No Physical movement as such and little no Portion Control!
I am surprised but in a good way O:-)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4808 on: 20 February, 2014, 09:06:10 am »
Added myself to the weight reports thread. Hoping to lose a steady 0.75kg a week which should be possible if I keep the booze in check and keep up the running.

~200km ride this weekend (possibly 250km depending on whether I ride all the way home) which should affect things nicely (eventually).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4809 on: 20 February, 2014, 09:28:10 am »
Static this week (I think- the scales aren't very nuanced) which counts as good after half term home alone with step son which may have resulted in fish and chips and curry being consumed. At least the 4kg loss from Jan 1st is maintained... Phew
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

« Reply #4810 on: 20 February, 2014, 10:42:01 am »
I haven't managed more than 2 or 3 fast days in the whole of feb so far.
When I log my weight in the morning, I jot down what I ate the day before. It's surprisingly informative.

simonp

« Reply #4811 on: 20 February, 2014, 11:09:49 pm »
Feline just gave me a cream egg.

I have 28 calories left today. A cream egg is 136 calories. I gave it back.

« Reply #4812 on: 21 February, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »
Feline just gave me a cream egg.

I have 28 calories left today. A cream egg is 136 calories. I gave it back.

So I ate it as well as my own :P  ;D

« Reply #4813 on: 21 February, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »
I'm back on the weight-loss wagon. I think the lowish dose of amitriptyline I'm currently taking as a preventative for migraines is making me even more of a greedy fecking cow than usual which is a right pain.

I'm not sure how much I've put on due to the lack of scales situation, but I know I have. And I can't be dragging too much extra lard up Box Hill come the RideLondon 100, so it will have to go.

Back to MFP, and have found a new spin class practically on my commute that will hopefully be good training as well as earning me extra calories. I only stopped spinning because the last place I went is no longer convenient for my current workplace. Also need to make sure I wuss out of commute as little as possible.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4814 on: 23 February, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »
I seem to have gained weight again despite weeks of seemingly modest eating following a not-very-indulgent Festive Season.
Looks like my eating will have to become much more modest!

« Reply #4815 on: 24 February, 2014, 11:48:51 am »
Went to the Waterside Inn at the weekend. If you're going to blow your diet out of the water. You might as well do it with a 7 course tasting menu at a 3 michelin star restaurant.

« Reply #4816 on: 24 February, 2014, 03:11:28 pm »
I am having trouble controlling my hunger at the moment.I am increasing my cycling atm and after the long hard rides can't stop eating.I am talking about real physical hunger here not mental hunger.When it gets me I haven't the patience to wait for eggs to boil and snatch instant food while it's cooking.Anything is fair game when the hunger gets me.I try and avoid keeping junk food in the house,because of this,but I have 2 teenagers.HELP I am hoping to double my milage in the next couple of months

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4817 on: 24 February, 2014, 06:42:36 pm »
Pre-prepare healthy recovery food?

(personally I quite like cold boiled eggs - as you mentioned them! - but of course other options are available.

Meat sandwich is easy. Put some salad in to discourage thieving teenagers.

I find raw carrots are quite nice, far from calorific. Plenty of other suggestions if you search this thread long enough. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4818 on: 24 February, 2014, 06:52:59 pm »
I am having trouble controlling my hunger at the moment.I am increasing my cycling atm and after the long hard rides can't stop eating.I am talking about real physical hunger here not mental hunger.When it gets me I haven't the patience to wait for eggs to boil and snatch instant food while it's cooking.Anything is fair game when the hunger gets me.I try and avoid keeping junk food in the house,because of this,but I have 2 teenagers.HELP I am hoping to double my milage in the next couple of months

I think it was Julian who first mentioned that she found that protein shakes helped stop the 'must eat everything in sight' feeling after a long ride, and they do help. Also very quick to prepare.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4819 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
Also disgusting.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4820 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:12:20 pm »
I usually have a milk shake as soon as I put the bike away.I don't get the problem on audax rides,because I eat plenty on the way round,but at the moment I am doing reliability rides on just a banana or flapjack.I guess it will get easier when my body adapts and the club runs became a bit more sociable with cafe' stops in the spring.

mattcs' idea of preparing something in advance is good.IE eat something quick,shower,then something more substantial.

citoyen

« Reply #4821 on: 24 February, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
I have been known to open a can of beans and eat them cold, straight from the can with a spoon, when I'm that hungry.

A carton of ready made custard also hits the spot. Similar to a milkshake, I suppose, but I find  custard more palatable.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4822 on: 24 February, 2014, 10:49:51 pm »
I have been known to open a can of beans and eat them cold, straight from the can with a spoon, when I'm that hungry. 
I can beat that. A tin of cold Heinz macaroni cheese eaten using crisps in place of a spoon!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

citoyen

« Reply #4823 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:03:24 am »
I admire your culinary sense of adventure, pedaldog! ;D

« Reply #4824 on: 25 February, 2014, 06:49:24 am »
I've been known to eat a can of Fray Bentos corned beef with my fingers when I'm slightly hungry. A can of Stewed steak with kidneys when I'm fairly hungry, and a can of Pal meaty chunks in gravy when I'm very hungry.  :thumbsup: