Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300641 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4900 on: 26 March, 2014, 09:52:30 am »
Quite an improvement this week - definitely daylight below the 114kg mark!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4901 on: 26 March, 2014, 09:54:45 am »
Small loss for me this week. Mainly due to doing more exercise.
Sweet tooth beats willpower every time.
15 stone 0lbs is next target.

« Reply #4902 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:01:54 am »
0.4kg this week was a bit of a surprise, albeit pleasant at it remains directionally appropriate. However, the lack of regular exercise ois not so good.

Did a short ride on Wed morning, a 9 mile run by the Thames on Friday morning and 34kms on the bike on Saturday. Since then, silence... work related stress has not done my diet any favours.

Mike

« Reply #4903 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:11:24 am »
I too hadn't realised how much difference work related stress can make. Comfort eating takes on a whole new meaning.
I now know that year end is the most stressful period in our company.
Always has been always will be.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4904 on: 26 March, 2014, 12:22:08 pm »
Previously this year, weight is glued at 85kg regardless of what I do or don't do

But for Lent ( starts on pancake day, goes until Easter) the vorsprung family have gone Vegan.  This was Vorsprung Jnr's idea but me and Mrs V said we would too as it's easier for cooking

We are all seeing weight loss, in my case I am down to 82kg, despite eating like pigs ( Vegan pigs of course, not the usual omnivorous type).  I haven't even given up booze.

To be fair I'd guess my level of activity is up slightly too as spring arrives

« Reply #4905 on: 26 March, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »
 :-\
...but expected after the weekend...
MrsC's current job comes to an end on Friday week. She is promising 'changes' after that (it's all a bit depressing at the moment).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4906 on: 26 March, 2014, 01:45:35 pm »
Having released the reigns for a couple weeks to a) stay in hotels on business and then ii) go on a bike tour then dropping 0.8kg is unexpected (and welcome).
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #4907 on: 27 March, 2014, 11:00:18 am »
Haven't tracked calories at all since the 200k the weekend before last. Down again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4908 on: 27 March, 2014, 11:45:31 am »
Haven't been weighed.
Waist now 71cm, a small decrease.

Onwards and downwards...

red marley

« Reply #4909 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:34:12 pm »
Looking at the weight loss chart, are you OK rafletcher? Did you have a leg or two removed this week? If not, I think you win YACF's slimmer of the week award.

BTW Simon, it's great that you can crawl these pages to produce those charts. Would it be easy to fit the trend line as a non-linear one (e.g. quadratic should do it) since most of us tend to start with a reasonably strong drop then begin to plateau? I think my asymptotic weight must be around 63kg (unless I resort to rafletcher style amputation).

simonp

« Reply #4910 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
Looking at the weight loss chart, are you OK rafletcher? Did you have a leg or two removed this week? If not, I think you win YACF's slimmer of the week award.

BTW Simon, it's great that you can crawl these pages to produce those charts. Would it be easy to fit the trend line as a non-linear one (e.g. quadratic should do it) since most of us tend to start with a reasonably strong drop then begin to plateau? I think my asymptotic weight must be around 63kg (unless I resort to rafletcher style amputation).

Yes, that's a good idea; I've considered experimenting with different curve fits, and quadratic is certainly worth a try, and easy enough to implement (gnuplot will plot functions of course so it's just a matter of replacing the curve fit code and putting those numbers into gnuplot).

I should also get around to updating the waistline graphing to use the new monthly data.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4911 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:51:55 pm »
I suggest rafletcher's reported weight drop is more likely to be a typo than an amputation.
Suspect digital transposition...

Spurious results are no less spurious when graphically presented.

« Reply #4912 on: 27 March, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
Small weight gain this week,due to comfort eating,due to personal problems.Plus no cycling due to a swollen achilles.Cycling is my Prozac,my favorite comfort food is proper cyder and kettle chips.

simonp

« Reply #4913 on: 27 March, 2014, 10:09:45 pm »
Had a go at changing to quadratic interpolation but the numerical methods tools I wanted to install require me to update a whole bunch of other stuff - so not tonight by the looks of things.

simonp

« Reply #4914 on: 27 March, 2014, 11:09:19 pm »
On second thoughts… it’s done.

Looks like Rafletcher will have a negative weight within a matter of days…

simonp

« Reply #4915 on: 28 March, 2014, 01:30:35 am »
Also just done something I’ve been meaning to do for a little while. Since the scraping code also reads data for previous years, I’ve modified the scripts to not just plot the existing 6 months view, but also 1, 2 and 4-year trends, since the graphs go back (in a form I can parse anyway) to at least 2011.

Now you can see for instance that although I’ve lost a bit of weight this year I’m still quite a lot heavier than 3 years ago.

red marley

« Reply #4916 on: 28 March, 2014, 06:21:49 am »
These are great Simon - impressive. Thanks for doing them.

« Reply #4917 on: 28 March, 2014, 03:12:12 pm »
On second thoughts… it’s done.

Looks like Rafletcher will have a negative weight within a matter of days…

Ok  :-[ corrected now  8)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4918 on: 28 March, 2014, 03:45:26 pm »
They also demonstrate how pointless our struggles are. Not one of us has lost and kept off any weight of significance.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4919 on: 28 March, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
They also demonstrate how pointless our struggles are. Not one of us has lost and kept off any weight of significance.

I did not enter my weight into the tables for 2012, which I started at 74kg (though I did state on posts that was my weight at the time).
I started 2013 at 66kg and am approximately 63kg now.

That is significant for me.

simonp

« Reply #4920 on: 28 March, 2014, 05:10:50 pm »
Citoyen clearly has lost weight and kept it off.

I’m the same weight now as I was at the end of 2009.

I’m scraping as far back as the 2008 thread, but I didn’t post any weights back then. :(

red marley

« Reply #4921 on: 28 March, 2014, 06:30:32 pm »

Perhaps the more pertinent question to ask is what would our weight have been if we had not tried to keep it off / report it here on YACF (I think this is what economists call 'opportunity cost', but I may be wrong). Things might have been a lot worse without the incentive of YACF and our (sometimes limited) efforts in keeping weight down.

In my case, I seem to be about 10kg down on my weight 4 years ago. Until then I had not considered weighing myself regularly nor making any specific effort to manage my weight. Perhaps it won't last, but I could imagine that without these efforts, I could easily by 10-20kg heaver than I am currently.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4922 on: 28 March, 2014, 06:47:44 pm »
My weight has fallen only 2kg since I last posted on here which is not much of an achievement & it fluctuates +/- half a kg constantly IYSWIM.
The most noticeable thing is that I have changed shape.I don't have that 3-months pregnant side profile & I'm told my ar$e is less rounded.
The moobs have not changed though.It would ne nice to shed some of that chest fat but I'm not going to stress about it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4923 on: 28 March, 2014, 07:31:40 pm »
I am two dress sizes and nearly two stone down on two years ago. I am lighter than I have been for 30 years.
I caught a view of my shadow in the rays of the setting sun.
I have a real waist!
It's slow but it *is* happening.
My hips and waist have shrunk this week.
I don't think that's too shabby.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4924 on: 28 March, 2014, 07:47:14 pm »
It is far from shabby Helly.

I must admit to not yet trying any dresses for change in size ;)