Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300626 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4950 on: 09 April, 2014, 11:09:03 am »
I'm up this week. I blame the fudge I made on Monday, and the doro wat I also made on Monday, and the roast dinner Feline produced last night.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #4951 on: 09 April, 2014, 05:55:03 pm »
I'm up this week. I blame the fudge I made on Monday, and the doro wat I also made on Monday, and the roast dinner Feline produced last night.

That's another reason to do the Old Roads then.....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4952 on: 09 April, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
I might be losing (real) weight.

essexian

« Reply #4953 on: 10 April, 2014, 09:50:33 am »
God, another week with no weight loss. Sigh. I really, really, really need to try harder. I have only done exercise twice this week, always finding a reason not to. This is how I get to 130+kg and I certainly don't want to go there again!

Next week perhaps at least 0.5kg off or there will be no way I will get down to my target by the end of the year.

Chris S

« Reply #4954 on: 10 April, 2014, 10:07:16 am »
God, another week with no weight loss. Sigh. I really, really, really need to try harder. I have only done exercise twice this week, always finding a reason not to. This is how I get to 130+kg and I certainly don't want to go there again!

Next week perhaps at least 0.5kg off or there will be no way I will get down to my target by the end of the year.

Try something simple. For a month - no grains, and no sugar. Lots of fruit and veg, meats (if you're not making life hard for yourself by being veggie) and fish; just no bread, cereal, sugar, cake, biscuits, stuff with added sugar, rice, pasta etc.

Body composition is mostly determined in the kitchen, so don't fret about the exercise; there are lots of good reasons to exercise of course, but losing weight isn't one of them.

Bet you a fiver the fat falls off you :).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4955 on: 10 April, 2014, 11:03:15 am »
there are lots of good reasons to exercise of course, but losing weight isn't one of them.

True. When you consider how much exercise you have to do just to burn a fairly meagre amount of calories...

However, I find exercise can help with weight loss indirectly, just by improving your general sense of well being. I ride my bike and run because it makes me happy and reduces stress. And when I feel happy, I'm less likely to resort to comfort eating and drinking. And I sleep better too, which also makes a big difference.

This may not apply to those who don't enjoy exercise.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4956 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:56:34 pm »
I am wearing trousers which were a comfortable, loose fit when purchased 2.5 years ago1.
They are HUGELY too big and look like something from a slimming magazine.
Keep going everyone!

1) ICNBA to search my wardrobe (aka 'Narnia') for smaller trews.

« Reply #4957 on: 10 April, 2014, 05:50:29 pm »
My new phone has a fitbit app, and it's trying to get me to walk 5 miles a day or 10,000 steps. It's quite addictive, I may even go for a stroll after work to log more steps.

Chris S

« Reply #4958 on: 10 April, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »
My new phone has a fitbit app, and it's trying to get me to walk 5 miles a day or 10,000 steps. It's quite addictive, I may even go for a stroll after work to log more steps.

fboab and I both have fitbits. We've found them quite motivational. Combined with a more recent addiction to Ingress, the 10000 steps a day is quite achievable. We're quite competitive with each other too - which helps us out of the door on days when we're less keen.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4959 on: 10 April, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »
My wife loves her fitbit. She and her friends get quite competitive about step counts.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4960 on: 16 April, 2014, 09:31:54 am »
I appear to have scoffed my cycling mojo. Apparently it contains a her-yuge number of calories.

:(

« Reply #4961 on: 23 April, 2014, 07:49:34 am »
Ooops - backsliding  :-\   Two v stressful weeks and too much "relaxation" during that period and over Easter weekend. Back on the straight and narrow for me.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4962 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:26:35 am »
A couple of weeks away and on goes the weight - up 3kg on a month ago.

There is clearly an annual pattern to this. I'm all enthusiasm at the start of the year and do fairly well and then a combination of old habits and trips away put the diet on hold. I'm sure most people are similar.

One thing I have managed to do is to keep off the booze when I have't got company. I bought some beer at the weekend, knowing that a YACFer fond of ale was due for a visit, but in the end we didn't partake but went out for a curry instead, so the ale is still on the shelf. I have not been tempted by it, at least, not yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #4963 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:37:28 am »
Struggling to control the upward trend in my weight this year so far.

It's all psychological as far as I can see. Way too much comfort eating, not enough exercise. Fasting has only just made a return after several months. I'll see if I can stick with it.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #4964 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:40:10 am »
My resolve with regard to booze, snacks, and cake has held firm and my weight loss has remained steady at about 0.4kg/wk.   I would like it to drop off quicker but to be honest just seeing the weekly loss is worth the effort IMO.   

I have gained two holes on my trouser belts since the turn of the year.  :thumbsup:   

« Reply #4965 on: 23 April, 2014, 12:47:39 pm »
A small loss this week - back to where I started April, but still materially lower than after Christmas.

Chris S

« Reply #4966 on: 23 April, 2014, 01:35:46 pm »
The doc has warned me off any forms of cardio exercise for now - until I've seen the cardiac team in Norwich.

How much walking to burn off a hot-cross bun? HOW MUCH??  :o

ETA: I've got a fasted full lipid panel test tomorrow. Shame I've been lapsing on the LCHF diet :(.

« Reply #4967 on: 25 April, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
We were on the Ferris four hour body diet and did very well up until Xmas. Then it went a bit pear shaped aka we put on weight. Ok so in Jan we went back to the diet and it failed to work the 2nd time around.

My wife suggested trying the Rosemary Conley (yes we know about he financial woes but there is stuff going cheap on her site) and we set sail three and a half weeks ago. oddly (new meds most likely) my wife is barely losing and I am down 15 lbs over the first three weeks taking me to the lowest I achieved on the Ferris one. 12 st 11. To say I am pleased is akin to a turkey being told on the 23d Dec that Crimbo is cancelled. :)

PH

Bees do nothing invariably.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4968 on: 26 April, 2014, 11:35:51 pm »
Back down a tad but not much! 
I had a really nasty Diabetic problem (Collapsed with Hyperglycaemia) last night though and that really has been a wake up call for me so here goes from now.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4969 on: 28 April, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »
I had my first under 80Kg measurement for a while this morning  :)  Not sure why I though I had a quiet weekend.

« Reply #4970 on: 30 April, 2014, 07:04:35 am »
A little bit down again. Feels like direction has been restored if not pace of weight loss. Also, losing it slowly and consistently makes it feel more 'permanent'.

Mike

« Reply #4971 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:03:35 am »
A slight movement, but back in the right direction. have to cut back on the "cheese & olives with a kir" post work relaxation!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

simonp

« Reply #4972 on: 30 April, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »
I can report that I have not lost any weight, nor gained any, since I CBA to do either.

essexian

« Reply #4973 on: 01 May, 2014, 03:51:54 pm »
Blimey, I am more stuck than a stuck thing with additional glue stuck to it!

Must try harder....after tonights take away.

red marley

« Reply #4974 on: 01 May, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »
After an initial bout of 1kg a week weight loss in January and early February, I have remained pretty much static in the last couple of months. However, I have been working reasonably hard with walking, swimming, gym and most recently Pilates. The net effect of which seems to be a transfer of waist bulk back towards where it belongs on my legs (I am now a 29" waist when I was 32" at the start of the year).

The only problem is that none of my trousers fit me properly anymore. While a belt stops comedy pant-drops in the street, they do tend to hang rather like a surly teenager, which is a look that doesn't work will on a middle aged chap. Still, it gives me an opportunity to drag my wardrobe kicking and screaming into the 21st century.