Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300747 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #4975 on: 01 May, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »
Still, it gives me an opportunity to drag my wardrobe kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Good luck with that!

<rant>

David's experience with attempting to purchase trousers for his 29" waist at M&S ended with TOTAL FAIL.

Due to vanity sizing, their trousers marked 30" fit a 32" waist.
Smaller sized trousers, where available, did not accommodate his muscular (though not enormous) thighs.

Giraffe has had problems buying trousers that allow him to sit and walk.

21st century clothing seems to be designed for 21st century man - fat, flabby or both.

I hope you can find trousers that fit, stay up when you stand and permit sitting, walking and cycling. This appears a tall order for my man, who has a 29" waist and is 5'9" tall, with a 31" inner leg (Mr Average, in slim).

<rant over>

« Reply #4976 on: 01 May, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »
Yes, many years ago I had a pair of 29/34 trousers that fitted me better than anything since, and certainly I've not seen that size in any shops for a long time!

rather embarrasingly, in the same era, I once questioned who actualyl wore the 38 inch waist trousers I saw in the shops only to cause offence to a mor corpulent colleague. since then I too have visited the 38 inch waist rail, although the realisation that I couldn't in anyway fit the next size down was a part of what made me serious about losing some weight again. It's a right beggar, the way it sticks eh.

« Reply #4977 on: 01 May, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »
I've got some slim fit chinos from Primark that seem to fit pretty well, admittedly I'm size W32L30 but they do do a 26 and a 28 in that length too, along with other cuts, such as boot and skinny. Though of course that does mean resorting to Primark.

Anywhoo I mostly came here to shake my head at myself - complains I'm turning into a bloater, proceeds to stop at the shops on the way home and buy moar ale  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4978 on: 02 May, 2014, 09:45:19 pm »
Not changed at all this week, better than an increase I suppose!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4979 on: 03 May, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »
I am still the same weight as at the start of the year but had huge cankles at the time of weighing last night.
I think I may be minimally less fat but have little objective evidence for this though my hips may have been down to 101cm this morning.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4980 on: 05 May, 2014, 03:14:44 pm »
My weight this morning started with a 7 for the first time in ages. Been creeping up for the last month due to stress-related comfort eating and drinking. Need to get back on top of this, especially with the Brimstone 600 just three weeks away.

The good news is that now I don't have a job, I'll have plenty of time for exercise... :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4981 on: 06 May, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »
TKMax have quite a lot of smaller waist breeks...

I am the lowest I have been for forty years. Just lost 19 lbs in 28 days. :)

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #4982 on: 07 May, 2014, 07:12:03 am »
My weight this morning started with a 7 for the first time in ages. Been creeping up for the last month due to stress-related comfort eating and drinking. Need to get back on top of this, especially with the Brimstone 600 just three weeks away.

The good news is that now I don't have a job, I'll have plenty of time for exercise... :facepalm:

Best to have a positive attitude. Make the most of the time and I hope that you'll be gainfully engaged again as soon as you need, but with enough of a break for you to enjoy it without coming under too much pressure.

Mike

« Reply #4983 on: 07 May, 2014, 07:12:37 am »
Another 0.4kg. Slow and steady, but hopefully long term.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4984 on: 08 May, 2014, 12:58:37 pm »
I'm thinking of starting a Weight Gain Discussion Thread as everything I have to report is off-topic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4985 on: 08 May, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
I'm thinking of starting a Weight Gain Discussion Thread as everything I have to report is off-topic.

I might join you there. :-\

4kg in a week! :o

« Reply #4986 on: 08 May, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »
It seems a bit shit that three weeks of dealing with bastard Estate Agents and huge amounts of stress have lost me more weight than eating carefully and doing shit loads of spinning classes did, but I weighed myself at the docs today and apparently it has. Unfortunately the Bastard Estate Agent diet is neither pleasant, healthy nor sustainable.

We are going away shortly which will involve a chunk of time in New York. I have already made several restaurant reservations. I fear the losses from the BEA diet will be short-lived, though I have to keep an eye on things via email while we're away so they will probably manage to work their evil from afar  ::-)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4987 on: 08 May, 2014, 10:14:46 pm »
up over 2kg in a Week! This is not good :hand:
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4988 on: 08 May, 2014, 11:48:31 pm »
up over 2kg in a Week! This is not good :hand:

As I have posted previously, it is not usually possible to gain 2kg of fat in a week. 2kg fat represents around 16,000 excess Calories. You would need to eat over 2,000 excess Calories every day ie twice a normal diet.

Most of the weight is likely to be water tied up with glycogen.
This is easily lost once you get back to eating a sensible reducing diet.

IIRC Gandalf recorded some pretty dramatic weight swings round Christmas. They were temporary.

It is really important to ignore 'temporary blips' like this and continuing with your weight loss plan. It's a long haul and months of perseverance are needed.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4989 on: 10 May, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
Anyone else read last week's new scientist?  It clarifies just why BMI is not so meaningful and that overall health is more than just weight.
I'm starting to veer to my friend's view that you acquire an extra 5kg at age 40 and then another few at age 45.  What I eat seems to make no difference to the base weight.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4990 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »
I am a month off 56 and weigh as much as I did in the run-up to my A Levels.

« Reply #4991 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:48:29 pm »

I might join you there. :-\

4kg in a week! :o

Fortunately, 3+ of them have gone again. Still 0.6kg up, but given how much I've been eating, that's about right. :hand:

« Reply #4992 on: 11 May, 2014, 07:25:32 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4993 on: 11 May, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
My weight has not changed since New Year.  :(
Mum says I look thinner in the face.
There seems to be less fat on my forearms.
At least I'm not gaining weight.

I kid myself I could be losing fat...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #4994 on: 12 May, 2014, 01:56:59 pm »
My weight seems stuck too. My trousers fell down on Saturday so something has changed. This morning I dressed in Italian bike clothing size L rather than last weeks and last few years favoured size XL. I expected the bib short straps to bend me double but they were fine.

« Reply #4995 on: 14 May, 2014, 11:21:43 am »
Another 0.4kg. Would like a dramatic change, but I keep telling myself little by little is the best way to go.

Mike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4996 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
I seem to be down to 79kg.

When I last weighed myself, a few months ago, it was a stable 85kg.

How much of this is attributable to Long Itch Lurgy I'm not sure, but probably too much.   :-\

What's the nominal capacity of a digestive system anyway?  *recalls Zev doubling her body mass in 24 hours*

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4997 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:37:57 pm »
I don't know the answer to Kim's question but would suggest reweighing in 10 days' time when the gut and fluids will have normalised.
You can't realistically gain more than about 1kg of FAT in that time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4998 on: 16 May, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »
Indeed, and certainly not at the level of appetite that I currently have.

Googling around found 11 litres as a figure (with no good citations), which sounds plausible.  Presumably plusminus a litre or two of stomach contents and the mass of a good poo.  And whatever other fluids you're storing up elsewhere.

« Reply #4999 on: 20 May, 2014, 11:13:54 am »
But what does the Skinfold tests say?