Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300854 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5200 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:20:18 pm »
DON'T WORRY ABOUT CHRISTMAS!
You will gain weight if you you indulge in seasonal goodies. It's mostly not fat.

Enjoy your Christmas but eat 'sensibly' when you're not partying or dining in company.

Either watch your weight go up by 3kg between now and Dec 28, feel demoralised and watch it drop down to 1kg more than todays weight on January 5th, or put your scales in a cupboard until January 5th and resume your healthy lifestyle around New Year's Day.

simonp

« Reply #5201 on: 17 December, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
Not planning to lose or gain any weight over Christmas. I'm 76.6kg, my weight is flat for more than a year, pretty much.

I might get to 100kg on deadlift by Christmas, though. My earliest logged deadlift was 3x8 at 40kg on 7th October. Yesterday, I did 3x6 @ 95kg. So I should be trying for 100kg next week.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5202 on: 17 December, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
Not planning to lose or gain any weight over Christmas. I'm 76.6kg, my weight is flat for more than a year, pretty much.

I might get to 100kg on deadlift by Christmas, though. My earliest logged deadlift was 3x8 at 40kg on 7th October. Yesterday, I did 3x6 @ 95kg. So I should be trying for 100kg next week.

I'll ask partner (currently 63.5kg) what his latest deadlifts have been.

He has weighed less than me until very recently and usually cruises at 62.5kg.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5203 on: 26 December, 2014, 01:51:47 pm »
Partner has bought me some new digital scales for Christmas.
I will compare readings on the two machines.
There may be unexpected differences around New Year.
I intend my 2015 weights to be on new machine.

Weight on old scales 61.0kg, weight on new scales 61.8kg.

I have therefore recorded my 2015 start weight as 62kg.

I might weigh myself on the old scales next December.

« Reply #5204 on: 27 December, 2014, 04:41:23 pm »
I have finally got on the scales after a number of months of shying away from them.  I could not be bothered with getting on them and let myself go and really slipped into old habits.  This has led to putting over a stone back on, not being able to fit into quite a number of my outfits and generally feeling awful.  Plus I had been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
So luckily being up with my family I went with my sister to the local slimming world group.  I needed a bit of moral support.  It was much worse than I had thought.  The weight that I had lost earlier this year had gone back on and some.  So much so that I think the spokes on my bike will crumple if I get on it.  No time to mope though just get back on the program.  Weigh in next Saturday. Woo hoo.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5205 on: 27 December, 2014, 07:09:20 pm »
Things should improve once your thyroid is under control. Weight loss is a long term business and every little helps.

Don't worry too much about festive eats; they are/should be a temporary phenomenon.
Your habits for the next 51 weeks are what count.

Good luck!

« Reply #5206 on: 29 December, 2014, 11:44:58 am »
MrsC saw her rheumatologist last week. "You are obese. This will not help with bad joints."
This has been the kick-start we've needed, so, from the new year we'll be back using Weight Watchers again.
We managed serious weight loss about eleven years ago, but I've put back half and she's back to nearly where we started.
The reason we're not starting now is that we need to get our heads round the 'new' points system; we understood the old one quite well, but it's all changed.
So if I start muttering about 'plus points' and 'activity points' or whatever they're called now, you'll all understand.
MrsC has been banging on about needing to lose weight over the break so I think she really is serious (hasn't stopped us indulging of course).
Also, at work there's a sort of 'competitive' weight loss thing going on; six weeks from the end of January to first week of March. I have decided I will sign up for that as well to keep the pressure on me so I can be supportive of her.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm sure there's some chocolate which needs eating before we start all this.  :facepalm:

(P.S. and thanks to fboab for starting next year's tracker already)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #5207 on: 29 December, 2014, 11:53:35 am »
This year has been a bit of a failure as far as weight loss is concerned (up 5 kg) but things have got to get sorted so I am back on it again this year.

(P.S. and thanks to fboab for starting next year's tracker already)

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5208 on: 29 December, 2014, 12:19:07 pm »
My waist measurement is up 6cm today; I am a gassy, colicky creature!

« Reply #5209 on: 29 December, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »
Thankyou for the weight tracker fboab.  Now just plodding on with eating healthy and not succumbing to the cake run at work, at home, in fact anywhere for a while.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5210 on: 29 December, 2014, 03:00:43 pm »
We have HUGE amounts of CAEK, pudding and chocolate left over from Christmas.

I think we'll indulge slowly but partner is unsure how to tackle our Chocolate Mountain and still maintain his Healthy Eating.

Truth is, my need to lose weight is marginal and he does not need to lose any weight.

I still believe habit is more important than the way we handle occasional treats.

We're off to visit his Dad in Christchurch this coming weekend so we'll face three days away from home, with hotel breakfasts etc.

simonp

« Reply #5211 on: 29 December, 2014, 05:03:37 pm »
Not much work to do to the weight scraping code - just need to update the list of pages to scrape.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5212 on: 30 December, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
Weight loss for me has been something of a sideshow. Nice to have but I haven't really focussed on it.

Unfortunately part of my tests reveal pre-diabetes, so its no longer a sideshow and more of a lifestyle change.

Reading about it suggest exercise (which I will get from commuting) but also diet changes - vegetables, oats etc.  So I will need to monitor this thread a bit more and take an active interest in my diet.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #5213 on: 30 December, 2014, 07:47:22 pm »
Yes it's a boring stereotype but I'm determined to crack this habit next year. I've done OK just half-assing it and I lost about 5kg over the autumn/winter, and I haven't done too much damage over Christmas (I've even kept riding the bike), but the real work starts now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5214 on: 30 December, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »
5kg is quite substantial! keep up the good work!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #5215 on: 31 December, 2014, 07:20:08 am »
I really need to make an effort to lose some more weight. I managed to lose two stone in 4 months about two years ago but been pretty static since. Even though I have cycled a lot more I just eat more in response so no weight lost. Counting calories and maintaining an average daily deficit of 500-1000 is the only way it works for me so it's back to the FatSecret app from tomorrow.

« Reply #5216 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:43:37 am »
After a good start last year, hitting first goal by Feb, I'm now up to about the heaviest I have been for a long, long while. Only way is down.......

(would that were fact)

« Reply #5217 on: 31 December, 2014, 09:18:11 am »
So, last year was a 'game of two halves'(TM) - I lost 2 stone in the first six months and have put half a stone back on, thus ending 2014 at 89.6kg. I now need to spend the first half of 2015 repeating the first half of 2014 - should be easier now we're nearly through the Christmas leftovers - only one large mixed game casserole to go;)

Hope all have a good year and manage to sustain the changes we all want to make.

Mike

PS - Thannks fboab

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5218 on: 31 December, 2014, 12:15:16 pm »
My weight on the new scales last night was 62.7kg, which was rather more than I had expected.

The new scales are less 'charitable' than the old, which have corresponded well with the 'professional' models that I have used in hospitals or David has used at the gym.
I will aim for 57kg on the new scales but have further to go...

Looking back at 2014 on the old scales, I started at around 64kg (max 65.5) and ended at around 61kg (min 60.0)

That's a 3kg loss over the year; not much but still a loss.

Plod plod!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5219 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »
OK.  Despite my fears, lack of miles, and excess of food, I managed to drop 0.3kg over Christmas! :o

Not a spectacularly successful year, given all the issues, but I did manage to drop 3.7kg.  The same next year would be satisfactory.
Getting there...

« Reply #5220 on: 31 December, 2014, 05:47:05 pm »
Fairly flat year for me:
Started the year at 89.0 kg
Maximum 89.9 kg
After a week in a hotel for work, followed by a weekend re-enacting (when you're the cook and you're trying out new recipes it can be very tempting!)
Minimum 85.2 kg
Middle of November. Probably when the running and cycling was just 'working' for once.
Ended the year on 87.2 kg.
So, at least the end was lower than the beginning.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

simonp

« Reply #5221 on: 31 December, 2014, 06:17:11 pm »
The graphs are currently broken - I believe this is because there are 53 Wednesdays in 2014 and this has complicated things a little (it seems to be showing my weight as of the start of the year rather than the end, for instance). I’ll see about getting that fixed.

« Reply #5222 on: 31 December, 2014, 08:07:17 pm »
Well, I was bang on my target for the middle of January - 75.0 kg (my target for today was 76kg). I'm a late comer this year and have dropped from 80kg to a minimum of 74.6 (Christmas Eve morning). I put on over 2.5kg in 4 days over Christmas, but have managed to lose most of it just as quickly again since.

I'm putting my relative success down to several things:

1) taking more exercise - I've managed a 30 minute jog/shuffle every day since mid November. This included Christmas Day, much to the rest of the family's amazement.

2) finding an old photograph of myself with my beer gut hanging out. This was taken in 2009 when I was somewhere near my peak weight (but not at - it was shortly after that that I started to positively shy away from cameras to avoid embarrassing myself). I've put this behind the biscuit tin so I see it every time I go to sneak a little something extra out. It's surprisingly effective.

3) Logging everything I eat on MyFitnessPal (preferably before I eat it). I've found that the faf of doing this has made me realise that that extra mice pie just isn't worth it. I did let this slide over Christmas itself, but that was a policy decision I made myself beforehand. I wasn't going to spoil everyone else's enjoyment of Christmas Day.

4) Finally realising that I don't have to clear everything on my plate, everyone else's plate and all the pans just because there is food there. This was indoctrinated into me at an early age. First of all it was by my parents who lived through rationing. This was reinforced by an aunt who for a significant period of her life, worked in Biafra during the famine as a missionary/hospital matron, and organiser/spokesperson for Jesus Christ Airlines (google that for more info - it was the largest civilian humanitarian airlift in history organised by a load of rank amateurs, mainly priests and missionaries). As a result she was very forthright in her views about leaving any food whatsoever on the table at the end of a meal. This has been a very hard habit to break.

For 2015 I hope to lose just a little more and then maintain that weight throughout the year. I'm beginning to think that the way to do that might just be to maintain an interest here, logging my weight weekly and laving me in a position to react rather more quickly should it start to rise again.

simonp

« Reply #5223 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:29:30 pm »
I’m 2kg heavier than at the start of the year.

I’m not sure what that really means. I’ve gone from deadlifting 40kg to 100kg since October and certainly have more muscle mass than at the start of the year. Not sure if more or less than 2kg. My goal for the first 2 months of 2015 is to drop those 2kg whilst still increasing strength. So back to calorie counting.

On the macronutrient front, because I am trying to build muscle, I’ve adjusted the proportions from the defaults in MyFitnesspal to 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbohydrate (i.e. high protein, low-moderate fat, moderate-high carbohydrate). On days where I do a lot of endurance, I usually have a higher proportion of carbohydrates. To increase the protein intake I’m consuming about 50g per day of whey protein.

Feline has recently got 5 ex-battery chickens which are producing 3-4 eggs a day. I’m doing my best, but it’s hard to keep up. They’er a good source of high quality protein.  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5224 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:46:54 pm »
I'm 4kg down on the start of last year, but compared to what I need to lose that's rather poor. Was doing quite a bit better (over 10kg down at one point) before I broke my arm, and haven't got back into the swing of it. Happy that I didn't move much over Christmas despite there being food constantly available to browse on.

I have the same attitude to finishing off stuff that Slowcoach mentioned he is having to change above, taught from an early age by parents who grew up without much money. My first goal is going to be to get into the habit of planning food well in advance and actually weighing things. Simple I know but for some reason I've not done it seriously for very long before :-[. Will also be heading back to my MFP account and starting to log again.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!