Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300425 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5400 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »
My weight fluctuates between about 76.5kg and 78kg day to day at present. No idea what is 'normal'.

Chris S

« Reply #5401 on: 19 February, 2015, 01:25:12 pm »
+/- 2Kg is my general "noise".

I'm on week 6 of very strict low-carb (20-50g carbs a day) and the fat-burning adaptations have kicked in now. I'm eating much much less - my appetite is so suppressed I can basically run on one meal a day now, and still do weights three times a week, get 10000+ steps in on the FitBit, and do some cycling at the weekend. If I eat any more - I'm bouncing off the walls, but TBH I just don't fancy it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5402 on: 19 February, 2015, 02:39:31 pm »
I am using a fitness app to record what I eat. I realise it maybe inaccurate but its useful as a broad indication.

I am really struggling to keep out pastries, chocolates and croissants.

Its amazing how good they taste and how calorie laden they are. Incidentally my weight goes up and down +/- 3 kg in a day - is that usual?

It can be. My brother (also Sam) does the same. I don't know what he weighs but it's probably around/below 70kg.

simonp

« Reply #5403 on: 19 February, 2015, 02:45:47 pm »
I'm having a "vo2 metabolic assessment" on Saturday. This will include LT, VO2max (that will hurt) and fat burning efficiency. It will be interesting to see how the last one goes. I'm hoping my legs stop bring from Tuesday's squats in time.  I'll not train or train very lightly tomorrow.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5404 on: 19 February, 2015, 06:37:59 pm »
I am using a fitness app to record what I eat. I realise it maybe inaccurate but its useful as a broad indication.

I am really struggling to keep out pastries, chocolates and croissants.

Its amazing how good they taste and how calorie laden they are. Incidentally my weight goes up and down +/- 3 kg in a day - is that usual?

It can be. My brother (also Sam) does the same. I don't know what he weighs but it's probably around/below 70kg.

sigh I want his weight lol

« Reply #5405 on: 19 February, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »
John, you're in danger of being an inspiration - or at least justification for thinness to Mrs S. I'm 6ft 1in, which due to age I round down to 185cm rather than up to 186. When I left Uni I weighed about 10st 10lbs and when I was running quickish 800s and 5000s in my mid 20s I was 11st 3lbs - that allowed for a lot fast running and a couple of sessions in the gym each week. It also sets my expectations now, so I find being close to 14st is far too much and hence 12st becomes a sensible first target (I really hated it when I reached 15st 7lbs after injury and inactivity).

What is quite alarming is that the sort of weight targets we have are now viewed as so low, as the general population has grown. I'm having increasing sympathy with Chris S and fboab and their diet, plus the background to the diet, when you see the impact of the very sweet and carb loaded snack foods that proliferate in our shops. My youngest has a real problem with seeking out sugar (perhaps because we hide it;)) and it is clear that it has addictive properties in terms of impact on eating habits.

Mike

Inspiration! Not been called that before.  I'll try and not make a habit of it!

I got to 14 stone when I was seriously sleep deprived after having our second child and getting through my working days subsisting on regular sugar highs, consuming 4 mars bars every day.

For me it's just about having a healthy body that I feel comfortable in, and leading a lifestyle that promotes that.  I'm still relatively young at 37 so trying to develop habits that will stick and see me through the rest of my life.

As I've mentioned before I'd be fairly sure that my Mum, who in retirement can now barely walk and has all manner of medical complications, almost all directly attributable to being overweight for most of her adult life is an influencing factor.

Also, lighter has it's advantages going up hills on bicycles too, and there's a lot those around me!
Up the hills and round the bends

simonp

« Reply #5406 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:50:26 pm »
Didn't update the graphs - got distracted by something.

Will try tonight. While I'm here, I weighed 75.5kg this morning. So either my fluctuation amplitude is higher than I claimed, or I'm losing weight.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5407 on: 22 February, 2015, 08:42:21 am »
Probably losing fat slowly.
Lighter than last week.

Up 2kg since Wednesday!
I know I finished the Christmas pudding last night and have been snacking on salty nuts but...

I see my weight also jumped up towards the end of February last year.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5408 on: 23 February, 2015, 08:17:05 am »
Lighter than last week.

Up 2kg since Wednesday!
I know I finished the Christmas pudding last night and have been snacking on salty nuts but...

I feel your pain.
Kids on half term - I am being knocking back bread, cakes and pastries (but at least I know its more emotional eating than hunger).  Barely got off the couch this weekend. sigh all going the wrong way but tomorrow is another day  :)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #5409 on: 23 February, 2015, 10:09:45 am »
I'm having a "vo2 metabolic assessment" on Saturday. This will include LT, VO2max (that will hurt) and fat burning efficiency. It will be interesting to see how the last one goes. I'm hoping my legs stop bring from Tuesday's squats in time.  I'll not train or train very lightly tomorrow.

Where you getting the assessment Simon??
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

simonp

« Reply #5410 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:27:52 pm »
www.truezone.co.uk

I had it on Saturday. Vo2max 51 (3.9l/min divided by 76.2kg body weight). LT 240W. Max fat burning was about 35%. Excellent vo2max for my age group; good lactate tolerance; could be better at fat burning. So I need to do more long steady miles and avoid sugary foods (which I already tend to do).

« Reply #5411 on: 25 February, 2015, 10:57:19 pm »
www.truezone.co.uk

I had it on Saturday. Vo2max 51 (3.9l/min divided by 76.2kg body weight). LT 240W. Max fat burning was about 35%. Excellent vo2max for my age group; good lactate tolerance; could be better at fat burning. So I need to do more long steady miles and avoid sugary foods (which I already tend to do).

Hi Simon

Did you get a VO2 max against lean body mass, or just against total body mass? Not being up to speed on cycling efficiency, I don't really know how to relate VO2 max to power and LT. Last VO2 max test I did was a few years ago when I was running a lot. It was quite interesting having an almost identical VO2 max to a marathon runner I knew, but sufficient basic speed (on my feet and then!) that I was very happy racing him over 800m and less so considering a race over his distance...

Mike

simonp

« Reply #5412 on: 25 February, 2015, 11:08:20 pm »
They didn't do body fat - my guess is I'm around 15% BF.  So that's vo2max against total body mass. Vo2max occurred at about 320W. Improving vo2max isn't very relevant for audax riding so it's not something to focus on in my training.

In 2009 I did 4.05l/min but weighed 74kg. I got weight down to 68kg by the time I rode the Mille Cymru in 2010.

« Reply #5413 on: 26 February, 2015, 08:19:47 am »
No weight loss this month, but I am not pertubed by this as there are mitigating circumstances.  A changed weigh in day and time from first thing on a Saturday morning to after work on a Wednesday evening.  This is my heaviest week of the month and I haven't put any weight on the scales.  Plus I found my measurements from the beginning of January and I have lost 8cm from the waistline.  So the month ends on a positive note. :thumbsup:
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Chris S

« Reply #5414 on: 26 February, 2015, 08:36:40 am »
www.truezone.co.uk

Is that at Vo2Max, or over a range of workloads? Did they quote an RQ in the results?

It kind of reflects how I remember your riding style - in the past, you tended to ride hard and fast, but then needed food, or you'd bonk badly, is that fair to say? That fat burn figure would be consistent with that - glycogen does wonders for a turn of speed - for a while...

ETA: Ah HA!  :D Just spotted your post over there in the Keto thread ---->

simonp

« Reply #5415 on: 26 February, 2015, 08:58:41 am »
www.truezone.co.uk

Is that at Vo2Max, or over a range of workloads? Did they quote an RQ in the results?

It kind of reflects how I remember your riding style - in the past, you tended to ride hard and fast, but then needed food, or you'd bonk badly, is that fair to say? That fat burn figure would be consistent with that - glycogen does wonders for a turn of speed - for a while...

Fat burning at vo2max was zero. RQ was over 1 by then. It peaked at the top end of zone 2 - but fluctuated a bit after then before dropping to zero at AT. The fluctuation could have been caused by changes in cadence as the effort level increased.

I pace myself better these days - maybe because riding fixed I suspect. I've not got very many miles in my legs at present. My AT is probably ok because I've been going to spinning classes. I need to be doing long steady training. It's the same thing I was told in 2009. I only rode a few hundred miles between the Scottish 1300k and January then rode a 200k, and it showed. Averaged less than 20kph - nothing hard and fast about that. I only stopped for food once at about 100k due to carrying home made rice cakes. On the 200km this month I didn't stop for food until 150km.

I'm waiting to be called back in to discuss the results in more detail.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5416 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:29:36 pm »
Lighter than last week.

Up 2kg since Wednesday!

Those 2kg seem to have stuck!
I have enormous cankles, granted and I know you cant put on 2kg FAT in as many days.

It is still very demoralising to be no lighter than New Year.

Ho hum

« Reply #5417 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:35:01 pm »
Almost got down to the magic 90kg this week :thumbsup:The ice free roads are helping,but I am noticing that my average speed and endurance are both down on last year.5 weeks to go before the Double Dutch 200.

« Reply #5418 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »
Helen aren't cankles a sign of water retention?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5419 on: 26 February, 2015, 05:16:31 pm »
Cankles weigh.
My cankles are the result of gravity, sitting all day and inability to use the muscle pump in the calves to pump blood back.

They have been present for a decade and shouldn't vary much but maybe they do.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5420 on: 02 March, 2015, 05:16:17 pm »
That 2kg gain seems to have stuck.

I now weigh exactly the same as David at 63.8kg.

Somebody told me that digital scales have a memory which means they display the same reading for consistency, but I find this difficult to believe.

I am heavier than I would like to be.  :(

It indicated 'Lo' when I weighed myself last night. I thought that was an error message as I was wobbly, but reading the User Manual suggests I should change the flattery. I am unimpressed if this is needed just two months after first use.

« Reply #5421 on: 03 March, 2015, 07:40:53 am »
I got on my ancient scales this morning (couldn't help myself) and was 2kg lighter than last week, but they aren't trustworthy. Just have to wait for the verdict tomorrow night at SW.  I am hoping that I can lose another 4 kg by April.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5422 on: 03 March, 2015, 11:15:34 am »
I might resurrect my ancient Krups scales, just to see how they read.
I resolved that my 2015 weights should be on my new digital scales though they are a little less 'charitable'.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5423 on: 04 March, 2015, 12:19:24 pm »
My temporary blip seems less temporary.
I am even heavier! David weighs exactly the same as me (63.8kg Monday night, 64.3kg Tuesday night) but he is male and taller.

The scales are not 'stuck'. A visit to the bathroom lost a recordable amount.

I'm off to Israel for Two Fat Weddings the week after next.

« Reply #5424 on: 04 March, 2015, 01:09:35 pm »
A little bit of gain, but hopefully noise. Mostly in last two days.