Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300385 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5850 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:17:31 pm »
I popped onto the scales last week and had a reality check.

I have set myself some targets and put a plan of action in place.   One of my items on the plan is to take exercise for at least one hour each day.  At the moment that exercise is in the form of cycle rides or walking and I cannot split the hour.   If I do two things one must be for at least an hour.

I'm looking at the dietary intake as well and the alcohol has been dropped.   It's proving more difficult to resist chocolate just now.    :(    I need work, lots of paying work to distract me.   Anybody need a divorce, child contact arrangements or even a Will?   :D 

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5851 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
I got on the scales yesterday for a quick sneaky peak and thought I'd miraculously lost 9lbs in 5 days, it turned out that my scales had broken in the last few days.  I have now got a new set but they weigh more heavy than the others. Hey ho.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5852 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »
Hovering around the 73kg mark just now, once this slight cold has faded away I probably need to start intermittent fasting again to not only prevent weight gain, but hopefully get to target weight of 72kg with a month or two. The trick then will be to keep at that weight while improving fitness. The latter has suffered significantly due to illness over the festive period.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5853 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:27:15 pm »
Lost over 2.5kg in the first week of the year! I know I have regular flutters in weight (Diabetes Insipidus) but that seems like a pretty good start to me, even taking that into account.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5854 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:28:46 pm »

« Reply #5855 on: 08 January, 2016, 10:04:21 am »
That BBC show, Trust me I'm a Dr, investigated whether or not you burnt more fat doing fasted exercise. They found that fasted exercise worked for men, but not women*. They were better at burning fat after eating.

I wasn't really paying attention, so watch on iPlayer for exact details

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5856 on: 08 January, 2016, 01:24:25 pm »
I have a new weight-loss technique that I am trying. It is saying to myself when there's food about "If Steve Abraham can get out on his bike at stupid o'clock when it's pissing down with rain and blowing a hoolie, then you can avoid that bit of cake*, you fat git!" So far it is working.

*Other inappropriate foodstuffs are available.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5857 on: 08 January, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »
Happy New Year all.

I think I may be getting an early helping hand, re - shrinking, from my GP. She has fiddled my blood pressure meds as a New Year treat. I was on amlodipine but they were causing my ankles to swell during the day, so I've been put on indapamide (a water tablet). So just maybe, just maybe I'll be flushing a few excess pounds away early on.

Weeee! (IGMC)
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

« Reply #5858 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »
First time on the scales for ages - weight is up at 76kg at the mo'. I had been trying to up my protein intake, and combined with steroids, I'm heavier than I've felt in ages. This, despite having given up alcohol 7 months ago. It appears that no matter how much I cycle, I need to remain careful about how much I eat.

I'd like to be back down to 70kg by the 4th week in April. Will be tough.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5859 on: 08 January, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »
I do not seem to have gained weight despite a three day stay at a Premier Inn, which is OK.

Now back to the Healthy Habits.

It's good to see I might have some lightweight girlie company this year.

lou boutin

« Reply #5860 on: 09 January, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »
I did my wiefpghtwatchers weigh in today, despite having consumed a Little Dessert Shop waffle upon Thursday which was 30 points, I lost 3.5lbs in the first 8 days of the diet.  :-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5861 on: 09 January, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »
Well done lou!

lou boutin

« Reply #5862 on: 09 January, 2016, 05:45:50 pm »
Thank you.

lou boutin

« Reply #5863 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:08:19 am »
I've weighed in a day early as I'm en route to Reykjavik and weighed in yet another set of scales. The new scales I borrowed from my mother have now stopped working so I've bought another set. So all I can say is that I've lost approximately 5.2lbs since 1st Jan give it take the weigh variance of the scales.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5864 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:13:16 am »
That's a lot for a birthday girl!
Spose it's early days.
Look after yourself and have a good trip!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5865 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:26:16 am »
I have been out buying immature compost for lunch.  ;)

Today I am going to try chicory with my smoked salmon, tomatoes and pepper. I have made a "rustic French" loaf. This starts off as 400g of flour, the same as a small wholemeal, but when baked occupies about twice the volume. The recipe excludes sugar and milk powder and it takes an extra hour to prove on double the yeast content, so presumably a lot more of the starch is digested by the yeast.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

lou boutin

« Reply #5866 on: 12 January, 2016, 11:30:36 am »
That's a lot for a birthday girl!
Spose it's early days.
Look after yourself and have a good trip!

Thank you.  Despite eating a fair bit of cake yesterday I remained within my weight watchers points.

« Reply #5867 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
The wife and I are doing the no sugar thing for January.  Its not that difficlut, but by gosh, there is added sugar in a LOT of things  :o

We've made our own bread now without added sugar and eat meat/pot/veg dishes with no sugar either.  We'd  bought another freezer, so are making large quantities of suitable meals and freezing them.

Feeling much better for is so far and lost 3Kg last week - yes I am a fat git and need to lose a lot more.  The wife who is a bit more svelte lost 1Kg.

We'll keep going with it  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5868 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:15:03 pm »
No sugar is easiest if you just avoid anything that's not just one ingredient in a package, obviously.

If you assume all manufactured food contains added sugar, you won't be very far wrong and can be pleasantly surprised by the exceptions.

Chris S

« Reply #5869 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:53:45 pm »
No Sugar, No Grains, No Booze  :thumbsup:.

I'd forgotten how inconvenient, yet convenient, this way of eating is. Inconvenient because eating out can be a right PITA; Costa for example - they ONLY sell carbohydrate (ok, and tea & coffee, but they ain't lunch). Convenient because actually, eating out doesn't matter so much when you only need to eat once a day.

Currently doing daily 16/8 fasts (no breakfast - that solves that one), with one meal either at lunchtime, or evening - depending on life and hunger.

I've just had a post work-out three egg bacon cheese and spinach omelette (doctored so as not to trigger my egg-allergy) and I'm stuffed. I won't need to eat again until tomorrow lunchtime!

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5870 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:18:08 am »
Couldn't quite believe the scales this morning showing I've lost 2.4kg in a week.

Only just started intermittent fasting yesterday, after a week with miserable cold that took some shifting where I did not really diet at all: quite the opposite. Very little exercise too. I can't explain the weight loss. I've now overshot my target weight by some margin, though still have a 'spare tyre' around my midriff that I need to lose.

My instinct tells me I need to exercise more to burn that excess fat off and convert to muscle. What to do about the fasting though? I don't need to lose any more weight so will probably just do 5:1 for weight maintenance.

Now that the weather's a bit drier I ought to get out on the bike a bit more I suppose...
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #5871 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
A prime example of Real LifeTM

Let's just say that 5 visits to the loo in the night don't make my resolve to stay away from the biscuits terribly firm, and not being able to do any classes at the gym because 45 minutes is longer than my between-visits time hasn't really done wonders for my weight.
FFS.

« Reply #5872 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:41:56 am »
I was listening to a personal training podcast where some personal trainer to the stars said that before he even takes on a client, he tells them to halve the amount they eat, and double the amount of water they drink, and to do that for a month before he takes them on as a client, so thought if it's good enough for Hollywood, it's good enough for me. So basically I help myself to my normal portion at a meal, divide it in 2, eat half, and put the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. It seems to be working. 

« Reply #5873 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:20:43 pm »
Do they halve there food portion volumetrically, gravimetrically or calorifically?

An iceburg lettuce is quarter the cals of a Greggs sausage roll and four times as large.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5874 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:31:14 pm »
Portion control is for foods that exceed ½ kcal/gram IMO.

Calories will look after themselves for many vegetables and salads. The limiting factor for a cucumber portion is how much you can eat.