Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300385 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5875 on: 13 January, 2016, 05:37:25 pm »
I have been taking the advice of the lovely Peli OTP and increasing my veg intake at the expense of bread. My lunch has been consisting of raw carrot, some pepper, a few plum tomatoes, some leaves (this week it's chicory) a bit of smoked salmon and a solitary slice of bread. I haven't been getting hungry and have been gradually shrinking. This is combined with a cake/beer embargo unless in a social situation.

I can't say I'm that keen on raw carrot and various leaves but I think it's got to be done.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5876 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:29:20 pm »
We are at least partly on similar: lots of leaves and salads, whilst restricting bread and starches.
It will happen...

« Reply #5877 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:47:02 pm »
I can't say I'm that keen on raw carrot and various leaves but I think it's got to be done.
When I did Weight Watchers (some long time ago, back in the days of C+) I started to eat far more salads. In the beginning it was just a desperation measure to fill me up at lunchtime, but I now enjoy it and really miss it if I don't have a fair chunk of raw veg at lunchtime.

I would probably draw the line at carrots though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5878 on: 13 January, 2016, 06:51:26 pm »
I don't eat raw carrots much.
just capsicums, cucumber, cabbage and tomatoes...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5879 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:55:30 pm »
I'm not at all keen on cucumber. I eat it if it is presented to me when eating out, but wouldn't bother to buy any for myself.

I am not sure what to do about greenery though. I tried watercress last week and it was OK, until I realised it was imported from the USA. We've got the bloody stuff growing wild in the streams in our local park. I have seen someone harvesting it once, although I can't say I would like to eat it with any confidence. I wouldn't think it would take a lot for pollution to enter the plant's system. I could try spinach. I'm not at all keen on raw cabbage.

« Reply #5880 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:50:52 am »
Now I'm back to weighing myself daily, I'm reminded how much the fluctuation of my weight is down to hydration/water linked to glycogen etc.
I also need to remember that when in a state of ketosis I should use the stalls rather than urinals as I don't want colleagues thinking I have fruity wee all the time.

Chris S

« Reply #5881 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:58:11 am »
Now I'm back to weighing myself daily, I'm reminded how much the fluctuation of my weight is down to hydration/water linked to glycogen etc.
I also need to remember that when in a state of ketosis I should use the stalls rather than urinals as I don't want colleagues thinking I have fruity wee all the time.

Fruity wee and keto-breath go away once you adapt. The ketones are being expelled because you're not using them as energy - either because you aren't exercising or because your body's forgotten what to do with ketones. Your body will remember  ;).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5882 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:13:57 am »
I have just been to a swimming pool for the first time in about 10 years. I did 18 lengths of what I thought was a 33 metre pool only to find when I got home that it was only 25m. Bah and bugger! Mine was far from being the biggest belly on display, which is some consolation.

I think it's a bit pathetic that a large town like Southend doesn't have an olympic sized pool. This particular example was built in 2010 and replaced the old Warrior Square pool in the town centre, which was 33m.

« Reply #5883 on: 14 January, 2016, 08:54:44 pm »
Am on day 4 of a week long 'eat buggerall' diet to try and kickstart my weightless for this year.  Someone suggested a diet based on grapefruit and eggs, so I'm giving that a go. I feel bloody awful but so far am down about 5kg.

As most (if not all) of what I've shed is water, I'm tempted to do a sweepstake on what % of my weight loss reappears.  I recon 80%.

Chris S

« Reply #5884 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:01:32 pm »
Hmm... grapefruit and eggs, eh?

That sounds supremely farty to me  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #5885 on: 14 January, 2016, 09:12:22 pm »
Given we have 8 chickens and I'm partial to a grapefruit, my diet can get a bit like that on some days. My mission is to ensure we don't have an egg surplus.

« Reply #5886 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:11:34 pm »
Hmm... grapefruit and eggs, eh?

That sounds supremely farty to me  :thumbsup:

I hadnt thought about it till just then, but it's completely the opposite! No trumping at all (well, almost).

Todays menu was poached egg on toast for brekkie, big bowl of mixed fruit for lunch (incl. grapefruit, obv.) then 2 hard boiled eggs in a massive salad with a grapefruit for pud.

Not sure if I'm going to make it to sunday!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5887 on: 14 January, 2016, 10:42:03 pm »
Am on day 4 of a week long 'eat buggerall' diet to try and kickstart my weightless for this year. 

Joining Tim Peake???   ;) ;D

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5888 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:54:14 am »
I'm back from a short break in Iceland. Although I tried very hard to stay within points (weight watchers) it's  never easy when you aren't doing the cooking yourself.  But having weighed in for my normal weight watchers weigh in I managed to loss a further 0.4lb while away despit no exercise and long periods of sitting on coaches. So this brings my total weight loss since Jan 1st to 5.6lb.  I suspect the weight loss will slow down now that my body is used to the new routine, but I hope to continue to lose 1lb a week for a little while. Only another 15.4 of the blighters to go now.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5889 on: 16 January, 2016, 10:33:01 am »
Am on day 4 of a week long 'eat buggerall' diet to try and kickstart my weightless for this year. 

If I joined Tim Peake he would have to adjust to my own gravitational field.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5890 on: 16 January, 2016, 01:00:48 pm »

If I joined Tim Peake he would have to adjust to my own gravitational field.

;D ;D ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5891 on: 16 January, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
Wow since crimbo I have lost 3kg, so now 96kg.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5892 on: 16 January, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »
Wow since crimbo I have lost 3kg, so now 96kg.

Lightweight! I've lost 6kg since 31/12/15!  :P

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5893 on: 16 January, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »
Giving up snacks has so far reduced weight from 86.4kg to 86.0kg, but am hopeful that one my metabolism has got over the shock of not having regular sugar boosts during the day it will start picking up and reducing some of the surplus acquired through comfort eating in the autumn.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #5894 on: 16 January, 2016, 05:51:54 pm »
I have just been to a swimming pool for the first time in about 10 years. I did 18 lengths of what I thought was a 33 metre pool only to find when I got home that it was only 25m. Bah and bugger! Mine was far from being the biggest belly on display, which is some consolation.

I think it's a bit pathetic that a large town like Southend doesn't have an olympic sized pool. This particular example was built in 2010 and replaced the old Warrior Square pool in the town centre, which was 33m.

A similar thing happened in Rugby and the 50m pool in Coventry is either already closed or due to close.   Cuts, cuts and more cuts...

« Reply #5895 on: 18 January, 2016, 09:42:04 am »
I hit the cake and biscuits yesterday, after being pretty good for most of Jan so far. I think the problem with them, is the speed with which they're consumed with a cup of tea.

« Reply #5896 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:50:09 am »
A loss is a loss, however small.
And after the particularly stupid day on Saturday I'm amazed I achieved even that...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5897 on: 20 January, 2016, 11:50:44 am »
Well I can wipe the smug grin off my face now.
Having failed to fast at all the past week, and comfort eating like it's the end of the world, I've unsurprisingly gained 1.3kg.

Back to square one for January.

Fasting day tomorrow and return to 5:2 until I'm well below 72kg.

:-[
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5898 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:31:22 pm »
I might be lighter.  :)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5899 on: 20 January, 2016, 09:52:54 pm »
I might be lighter.  :)

Well done

As predicted my weight loss has now rapidly slowed down.  I in,y lost 0.4lb this week. :-(