Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300755 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #5900 on: 20 January, 2016, 10:04:11 pm »
I might be lighter.  :)

Well done

As predicted my weight loss has now rapidly slowed down.  I in,y lost 0.4lb this week. :-(

You are still 5.6lb lighter than at the start of the year. That's ¼ of the way to your target. Not bad for less than three weeks into the year!
And you've been away.

Don't convert a temporary blip into a long-term failure.

In a fortnight's time, we'll be just over a month into the year.

Your weight at that time will give some idea of you real progress.

You are petite; both calories and fat go much further in little people.

You have to work very hard to make any headway and I appreciate this.

You're doing fine; keep going!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5901 on: 20 January, 2016, 11:11:09 pm »
Just the 1kg this week, but that'll do. I can feel that some of my clothes are looser than they were. I even cycled to Waitrose this morning before work in order to buy the necessary ingredients for lunch: tomatoes, salad onions, lettuce and nut/fruit mix.

I have cut down on bread, but not removed it from my diet all together. The Panasonic breadmaker recipe book has a "Rustic French" loaf in its arsenal. That takes exactly the same amount of flour as a wholemeal loaf (400g) but has no added sugar and an extra hour's proving time, in which I would imagine the yeast is converting carbohydrate to useable sugar. The finished loaf occupies about double the volume of the wholemeal (in reality half-and-half) loaf. The half+half has 200g wholemeal and 200g white flour, whereas the rustic French has 275g white, 75g wholemeal and 50g rye flour. I had two slices of that with smoked salmon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5902 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
26 lengths of the swimming pool this morning in 31 minutes. I have brought a membership form home which will give me unlimited swimming for £23 a month, as opposed to £4.10 a visit. It's only a short distance to the pool so I will be able to potter out there every day if I feel like it.

I am now eating porridge.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5903 on: 23 January, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
I might be lighter.  :)

Well done

As predicted my weight loss has now rapidly slowed down.  I in,y lost 0.4lb this week. :-(

You are still 5.6lb lighter than at the start of the year. That's ¼ of the way to your target. Not bad for less than three weeks into the year!
And you've been away.

Don't convert a temporary blip into a long-term failure.

In a fortnight's time, we'll be just over a month into the year.

Your weight at that time will give some idea of you real progress.

You are petite; both calories and fat go much further in little people.

You have to work very hard to make any headway and I appreciate this.

You're doing fine; keep going!
Thank you. I've weighed in for weight watchers this morning and was worried. I'd had a sneaky peek at the scales yesterday morning and to my horror I seemed to have gained 1.2lbs. I wasn't going to weigh in but gritted my teeth and got on the scales to find that today I'd had a loss and I'm now -6.5 Lighter than the 1st Jan.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5904 on: 23 January, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »
Look at my personal graphs/figures.
They are all over the place in the short term.
At the end of the year, I'm lighter than the start.
That's what counts.
Persistence pays up.
The rest is all noise.

I hope you aren't losing weight too fast thou lou. nearly half a stone in three weeks is a lot on a little body that won't have the reservoirs some larger folk have.

Take care!

lou boutin

« Reply #5905 on: 23 January, 2016, 01:48:11 pm »
Look at my personal graphs/figures.
They are all over the place in the short term.
At the end of the year, I'm lighter than the start.
That's what counts.
Persistence pays up.
The rest is all noise.

I hope you aren't losing weight too fast thou lou. nearly half a stone in three weeks is a lot on a little body that won't have the reservoirs some larger folk have.

Take care!

You're very right Helen and I know that the blips and plateaux are part of the process, it's momentarily disconcerting when they happen. I'm following a weight watchers programme and not skimping on any way. I don't have a lot of time to exercise as I'm looking after my mum, so although I do the required amount for the plan, it's often 5 mins of running up and down stairs or walking around the pool before I go to bed. My weight loss has slowed now and between last Saturday and this I on,y lost 0.8lb.  So I think this is a healthier rate of loss.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5906 on: 23 January, 2016, 02:01:44 pm »
Sounds fair.

essexian

« Reply #5907 on: 24 January, 2016, 07:51:21 am »
It's four months today since I started the weight loss process including having a gastric band fitted on the 8th Oct last.

So, onto the scales I went this morning to record a weight of 102.3 kilos which is a loss of...sorry to mix scales, 4 stone and half a pound. Pleased about the half a pound.... and indeed the whole four stone!

Please don't let anyone tell you having a gastric band is the easy way out. It certainly isn't as I still have the same issues with food as I did before. It's now that I just can't eat until I drop as to do so will make me sick at worse, or in very bad discomfort at best. I still crave fats and would happily eat a jar of peanut butter for no reason at all.

Thinking on, my ideal weight would be somewhere around 10 stone 7....can't see me ever getting there, so perhaps another four stone loss should be my final target.

My final thought...if you are struggling to lose weight, then a gastric band is an option. It is not one you should consider without a great deal of thought...it does irritate me when I read the most basic questions on weight loss forums from people who had had the operation but have no idea what to do next. Indeed, to me weight loss surgery should be the final option taken when everything else has failed. I was facing failing health and the realisation; including a comment by my GP that I would be dead within five years unless I lost weight, thus, I decided I had to go under the knife. Can't say I enjoyed the experience...or spending £6 300 of my hard earned: "Buy Ian a faster bike/CBH a better guitar" fund, but if I live into my 80's as someone of my age should do, then it will be worth it.... that works out at about 1/2p a day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5908 on: 24 January, 2016, 12:18:25 pm »
The weight loss journey takes TIME and PATIENCE; you're doing just fine essexian.
Well done!
10st 7lb/67kg is still about 5 stone away.

If you get there, fine. If you find yourself stuck at 12-13 stone, that's still a hundredweight better than at the start of your journey.

A loss of half a hundred weight is a excellent start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5909 on: 24 January, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
Sound like a jolly good start. It took me two years to drop five stones, to a weight that is about 2 stone above what NHS said I should be. Yet I felt a million times better. As Helly said it takes time, any drop is a drop in weight.

I only lost just shy of half a pound this last week.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

lou boutin

« Reply #5910 on: 24 January, 2016, 04:39:58 pm »
Well done.  Just over 4 stone in 4 moths is great. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5911 on: 25 January, 2016, 09:26:43 pm »
Well done.  Just over 4 stone in 4 moths is great.

They'd never get off the ground!

Congratulations, Ian. I have been following your progress with great interest. Whilst never having been given the stark warning by a GP that you have, I too am massively overweight. I don't think I have what it takes to go down the gastric band route. I am filling myself up with salad instead, something I haven't tried before. I have reduced greatly the quantity of bread that I am eating, and have also reduced the ale. I'm cycling more again, and have signed up to our local swimming pool for a year, with the intention of going at least twice a week and swimming for at least half an hour. So far, things seem to be working, but it is early days.

The one thing I have noticed is an immediate drop in blood pressure. My BP has never been particularly high for a fat bastard (compare my older brother, who is two inches taller than I am and about 8 stone lighter and has always been very fit. He has been on BP meds for years), and my cholesterol figures are also pretty good, but over the weekend, during which I have cycled almost 50 miles and swum a kilometre, my last measurement was 114/54 with a pulse of 66. I have never been given BP meds. Previous to my current exercise/diet regime, my BP was typically 140ish/80ish. When I had a rheumatology appointment in November, my BP was a fair bit higher than that, at 150ish over 80ish, but that is the highest it has ever been. My GP has never been concerned about a reading of 140/80.

Taking my BP again now, during a day in which my exercise has been about 2 miles walking pushing a 40lb toddler in a push chair, and a further half-mile without a push chair, but nothing significant in the past 5 hours, it's 131/72, pulse 64.

« Reply #5912 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:20:15 am »
Weight this week slightly up. Not too worried, still eating healthily, but my portion control has gone a bit awol due to portion creep.
In a Fitbit battle with my brother, both our other halves are telling us to lose weight (type 2 diabetes runs in the family, and we're both above the recommended BMI for Chinese of 23), and the constant updating of the stats is what I need to keep me on the straight and narrow.  We won't actually see each other until May at a family wedding, so a good incentive to see who can shed the most fat by then

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5913 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:46:19 pm »
My weight's up. A lot.

I kid myself it's a temporary blip due to Monday's Big Meal.

Hope I'm lighter next week.

lou boutin

« Reply #5914 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:22:28 pm »
I'm still the same as I was when I weighed in at weightwatchers on Saturday so I don't think I'm going to lose anything this week. Hey ho.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5915 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:38:42 pm »
I keep weighing myself and still managing to stay at around 80. However with not cycling much I have had to restrict my calorie intake, and its pretty difficult without using the app.

« Reply #5916 on: 29 January, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
I was 69.9kg this morning and I'm very pleased with that since I was over 75kg in October.

Since my trousers were feeling much, much looser, I decided to measure my waist thinking that it would be significantly less than the 32" that my trousers indicate. No, I'm about 32". Measuring my belt gave the same result.
Checking the waist of several different pairs of trousers, including some very old (~20 years) Levi 501s showed 33-34".
I suppose that's what they mean by "vanity sizing".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5917 on: 29 January, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »
Trousers always have some slack, to allow movement but the actual fit has become roomier over the past couple of decades, IME.

Well done on your size loss.

An *actual* waist of 32" is pretty trim for a bloke!

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #5918 on: 29 January, 2016, 04:24:26 pm »
I think my waist size is 34 but I still buy 36 as it feels like the slightest deviation in weight and a 34 will be too tight

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #5919 on: 30 January, 2016, 10:22:34 am »
Well another week of indulgence, no fasting, and unsurprisingly weight gain. I am a bit shocked though how quickly it can pile back on - either that or my scales are just having a laugh.  :)

Up at 75.7kg now. I suppose I'd better get back on the programme ASAP, before I balloon any more...   :-[
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5920 on: 30 January, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
The first/last few kg of weight gained or lost when changing eating habits rapidly are often mostly glycogen-related water.

This means a CAEK fest can pile on HYOOGE amounts of weight and the first fortnight on almost any diet will result in BIG losses.

It's quite common to gain/lose half a stone/3kg over Christmas and holidays.

lou boutin

« Reply #5921 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:43:19 pm »
Today's weightwatchers weigh in showed a 1lb loss. I'm now -7.6lb lighter than on the 1st January 2016.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5922 on: 30 January, 2016, 02:44:36 pm »
Most impressive, lou!

lou boutin

« Reply #5923 on: 30 January, 2016, 03:04:58 pm »
Thank you

« Reply #5924 on: 30 January, 2016, 06:14:53 pm »
Well, Simon bought me some wifi scales for my birthday (don't worry- I had said I wanted them  ;D ).
There is now no excuse for not weighing myself and more importantly keeping a track of it.
I will have to start my new year diet  :-\

To help my motivation I weighed myself immediately after a huge birthday meal last night so I got a nice high initial reading- which should make it much easier to appear to achieve something. In fact I have already lost 1.4kg heh  :thumbsup: