Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300708 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6650 on: 29 December, 2017, 12:08:46 pm »
I've dabbled and dropped out in the past but given my running and other plans for 2018 it might just be worth it for 2018.   

Goes off to prepare yet another christmas dinner and cogitate...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6651 on: 29 December, 2017, 12:18:51 pm »
Weighed myself for first time since May.
No significant change despite multiple food fests and no persistent active efforts to reduce my intake.
Thought I'd be much heavier!
 :thumbsup:

Whatever else, the weight I lost, mainly in 2012, through simply eating less and giving up the jammy croissant habit has mostly stayed off, which is no bad thing.

« Reply #6652 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »
I really need to get back on this, as 2017n was more gain than lose.  pacemaker and tendonitis do not help with the exercise.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #6653 on: 31 December, 2017, 11:34:50 am »
On the eternal see-saw that is my weight, this thread helps me motivate gently in the right direction. The real motivation is normally something else (eg hoping to cycle up big hills). I'm in (sort of)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6654 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:09:41 pm »
Found the tape measure which had been hidden beneath a pile of stuff on my desk.

Waist and hip measurements are significantly increased so my fatness must be too, even if my weight has not changed.

Added waist measurements to my table.

MUST TRY HARDER!

...eventually...

simonp

« Reply #6655 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:52:09 pm »
So I've updated the graphs to the end of 2017. I'll add the new tables to the parser.

I've also hopefully configured automatic updates at 2 hourly intervals. I've added my missing weights to the end of the year, but not manually done a run, so this will act as a test. The updates may sometimes run when my computer is asleep but there can be a gap if it goes into safe sleep (to save power).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6656 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:25:39 pm »
Sterling work, Simon!

Thanks!

I seem to have vanished; I'm not THAT thin!

simonp

« Reply #6657 on: 01 January, 2018, 10:15:39 pm »
After some fettling, automatic updates are now working.

It remains to be seen what happens when the computer is sleeping.

« Reply #6658 on: 02 January, 2018, 03:01:24 am »
Well I have rejoined. 2017 was not a year of cycling for me- having my daughter and new born grandson living with us for the first 7 months of the year meant I didn't have much free time. I also drank too much wine  ;D

Haven't yet started the actual exercise, but rationing my wine consumption alone has brought my weight down in the last few months. I literally need to dust my bike before I ride it  :o

« Reply #6659 on: 03 January, 2018, 08:34:11 am »
Im in for this year - managed to shift just over 30 kgs in the past 5 years with plenty of ups and downs along the way.   Have my sights on a sub 4 marathon in oct 2019 and therefore the required weight loss needs to happen in 2018.    Looking for a drop of around 12 kgs this year.

I have been loosely low carb, high fat for a year and a half now with a few breaks!   Got my head back on it now and I am trying to strictly follow the Maffetone 8 step method up until this summer at least to see what effect it has on my running and health.

Good start - 1.8kg off from when I weighed in on boxing day.   

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6660 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:35:57 am »
Good luck with the Maffetone stuff, I've used his training theory very successfully in the past to drop my 10k pb every year for 5 years in a row. No need to apply it successfully to cycling.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6661 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:55:58 am »
Good luck with the Maffetone stuff, I've used his training theory very successfully in the past to drop my 10k pb every year for 5 years in a row. No need to apply it successfully to cycling.

I think it makes an awful lot of sense for someone like myself (very new to running).   Seems like a sensible way for most people to train if you want health rather than absolute performance (which isn't normally a very 'healthy' pursuit).

I'm fully on board with his dietary methods although also know I will have to alter then to fit my life (and my families).  Low carb, no sugar is the only thing that has ever worked for me in terms of fat loss.   Just wish I hadn't waited until my mid 30s to become aware of it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6662 on: 03 January, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »
That should have said "now need to apply it to cycling"

I tend to train on the turbo with HR in the right zone, but get carried away on the road with a speed target, especially this time of year when windy.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

simonp

« Reply #6663 on: 04 January, 2018, 01:58:28 am »
2018 weights are now being plotted.

« Reply #6664 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:08:52 pm »
About a week in to lower carbs/more moderated eating. Virtually eliminated snacks. Stopped buying bread and have been cooking better.
I use this https://paleoleap.com/ for inspiration.
I'm about the same weight as last year, but I'm a lot fatter, so I'll need to hit the weight room again. Clearly lost  a lot of muscle and I can no longer suck my gut in and look 'reasonable'. I merely look pathetic.
The last month was a bit of a rude awakening in terms of my self-image (for various reasons), but I'm using it as a motivational tool and so far, it seems to be working.

simonp

« Reply #6665 on: 04 January, 2018, 10:58:46 pm »
Will try to sort out waist and waist:height graphs this weekend. No promises as work is piling up.

« Reply #6666 on: 06 January, 2018, 01:39:45 pm »
Count me in for this year. If I don't slim down, the TT bike I built will never get used. I've got double jaw surgery happening at some point in the next few months so I'm expecting the liquid diet will go some way to shifting a significant portion of flab.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6667 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:59:27 am »
Okay, I'm in for this year. Have to do something about my expanding waistline.

Good luck everyone!
Embrace your inner Fred.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6668 on: 08 January, 2018, 02:11:59 pm »

Please Sir,

Can you put me in the graphs?

I appreciate you'll need new baselines but my 104 cm hip circumference would suggest that I am not emaciated!

Many thanks,

London Derrière.

simonp

« Reply #6669 on: 10 January, 2018, 12:06:09 am »

Please Sir,

Can you put me in the graphs?

I appreciate you'll need new baselines but my 104 cm hip circumference would suggest that I am not emaciated!

Many thanks,

London Derrière.

I’ll have a look when I get a chance. People are added automatically but if you don’t have a recent (last 6 month) weight you won’t show in the top graph. I’ll try to check but also putting “away” on 3rd jan might have confused matters.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6670 on: 10 January, 2018, 12:17:41 am »
Sorry, thanks!

10 January weight coming soon.
Expect a gain...

ETA Which was not to be... :)

« Reply #6671 on: 10 January, 2018, 11:28:01 am »
Pleasing start, down from 96kg on boxing day to 94.7 on the 3rd Jan and then down to 93.5kgs today.   Extremely low carb and zero sugar since 1st Jan although that will change this Friday as we have our works party which will involve some alcohol.   

Chris S

« Reply #6672 on: 10 January, 2018, 06:13:54 pm »
Usual January deal for me - including Dry January.

Trying more in the way of fasting this year - pretty much only one meal most days, plus random longer fasts.

I'm being "helped" at the moment by some cantankerous insides which is making me somewhat less inclined to eat. I think Christmas excess knocked my gut-biome out of kilter.

« Reply #6673 on: 10 January, 2018, 07:59:20 pm »
Down 1kg, despite a couple of 'wrong' days. I should be able to cut out more food without struggling too much.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6674 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:44:30 pm »
So I've lost the "easy" 2kg in a week (and 5cm off the waistline) despite not really going for fasting in a big way.

Have been skipping lunch some days, cutting out snacks, cutting out booze most days too. One other change is stopped taking milk in tea and coffee. Now have black coffee and black tea with a slice of lemon. Given the amount of these beverages I consume daily that has probably saved hundreds of calories.

Going by experience, crossing the 80kg threshold will be the most difficult. For that I will probably need to do 5:2 properly as well as all the stuff I'm currently doing.
Embrace your inner Fred.