Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300424 times)

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #7150 on: 23 December, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »
Having lost 2.5 stone I have noticed that my bum is smaller and I feel I want to raise my saddle ever so slightly to compensate.  Anybody else noticed this?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7151 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:21:01 am »
Having lost 2.5 stone I have noticed that my bum is smaller and I feel I want to raise my saddle ever so slightly to compensate.  Anybody else noticed this?
I haven't examined your bum.

Whatever weight is coming off now is glacially slow. We have just filled the house with food for Christmas - well, it was already full of food, but things we don't normally buy that are here now are a duck, a Christmas pudding, some cream, a fruit cake and some oat bars. Each of those oat bars, which are quite small, contain 212 calories, according to the package. We have a fair bit of wine, but that's not that unusual. I just drink it very slowly these days. I can easily go a week with no booze at the moment, and when I do open a bottle, I make it last a week.

I'm about 2 stone down on what I was at the start of July, but Google Photos kindly reminded me of a photo I took exactly 2 years ago. It was of our bathroon scales while I was standing on them.

I've lost 4lb in 2 years. if I keep that rate up, I'll still be overweight when I reach 100.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7152 on: 25 December, 2020, 12:27:51 am »

Having lost a broadly similar amount of weight over the last year I haven't noticed a difference with saddles, but I'm feeling the lack of padding under my vertebrae on recumbent seats.  It doesn't seem to have made enough of a difference to leg extension to make me change the boom position, but I did switch to a different pedal system partway through the year, which might have compensated.

Successful weight loss
« Reply #7153 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:30:47 pm »
Has anyone here lost around 10 kg? I ask specifically as that's about the amount of bodyfat I'd like to shed. I'm currently 83kg and 185cm tall. I'm 60 next week and would really like to have a last gasp of decent power to weight, both for cycling and running.  I can manage a 23 minute 5km but really want to break 21 minutes.

Chris S

Re: Successful weight loss
« Reply #7154 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:32:19 pm »
There are many ways to do it. They all require one thing. Consistency. Choose a method that fits your life, and stick to it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7155 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:36:30 pm »
I have lost >10kg twice in the past couple of years, firstly with Slimming World. After that, I put all the weight back on. Since early July, I have lost about 12kg. It’s very slow now.

Losing weight is one thing. Keeping it off is another.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7156 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:50:06 pm »
I lost about 12kg, mostly in 2012, some in 2013.
I ate smaller portions.
I ate MUCH less bread/potato/pasta/rice.
I gave up the daily croissant & jam habit that I'd picked up in Paris in 2009.
I waited as long as possible between meals and skipped some if I wasn't hungry or eating was inconvenient.
I decided I wouldn't die of starvation if I was a bit hungry.
I mostly stopped eating between meals.

The Weight Loss Discussion Thread is as old as the forum itself.

Weight loss graphs and tables for several previous years are available so you can see who has been successful and when...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #7157 on: 26 December, 2020, 11:16:34 pm »
My other half and I have been on something of a mission this year. I was treated for breast cancer last year, and it was frankly a bit of a wake-up call. The Doc pointed out that losing weight would help lower my oestrogen levels, which is a good thing.
Our method suits us, and is based on info from the NHS website, which can be summarised as "write down the calorific value of everything you eat and drink, aiming for 1200-1400 calories a day."  Just doing that made us acutely aware of what we were eating, and as a result we shifted not just the amount but also the types and varieties of food we're eating.  That intake level translates (in us) to a loss of about 1-2kg per week for him, and about 0.8-1.5kg per week for me.  Since we started taking notes in August I've lost 18kg, and Nick's lost nearly double that. We maintained our exercise levels and protein intake so we don't lose too much muscle mass as we're both in our 50s. In addition to bike/trike rides, I added in skipping in the early part of the year, and that has turned into running, as the greater impact should help stave off any bone density issues from my reduction in oestrogen.
So far, so good for us.  I'm hoping that this has taken long enough that the changes to our eating will stick, and hopefully we don't go back to our old habits.

Hope you find a method that suits you!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Chris S

« Reply #7158 on: 26 December, 2020, 11:22:15 pm »
Wow! Well done you two  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7159 on: 27 December, 2020, 12:43:21 am »
Has anyone here lost around 10 kg?

I've lost about that much over the last year.  Entirely unintentionally, which probably makes me persona non grata in this thread (my main concern at this point being not losing any more weight).  FWIW it seems to be a combination of improved fitness due having finally sorted out the biomechanical niggles that were limiting my cycling and the mental health effects of the rise of fascism and global pandemic.

« Reply #7160 on: 27 December, 2020, 07:07:46 am »
Kim, definitely not persona non grata, you'renot alone with concerns regarding pandemic and political concerns and glad your bike fit appears sorted. I've greatest respect for contributers here that have lost weight. I've bad food habits that I've got away with for decades. My self discipline is poor regarding anything edible. Eating out of date food so it doesn't go to waste, the list goes on. I've never kept a food diary but resolved to start. My wife estimated that I get through around 4000 calories a day. I'm a builder and I run and cycle. Back in the day (1984) I weighed 11 stone  4lb now 13 stone 3lb.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #7161 on: 30 December, 2020, 10:45:10 am »
The year is almost over and I am at about the same weight as the start of the year.  Currently 94kg, getting below 90kg has been my first target for a few years and then 85-87kg which used to be my normal weight, though I have been into the low 80's for brief periods.  I managed to lose a few kg in the spring, but retirement coinciding with the start of lockdown saw a slow increase, however have managed not to put anything on over Christmas.  Cycle mileage has reduced as I no longer have the 20 mile a day commute, hopefully next year will improve.  I am trying to get the right lifestyle rather than follow a specific diet - portion control, stop snacking between meals, reduce sweets and biscuits etc. - with a hopefully slow reduction in weight.  As we all know that is easier said than done.

Well done to those that have managed to to lose weight this year, lets hope we can all make progress next year.

« Reply #7162 on: 30 December, 2020, 01:23:52 pm »
Over the course of the year my weight has dropped just under 13kg, but since I properly started trying to purposely lose weigh at the start of September, I've dropped exactly 10kg - and that includes a 1.5kg uptick over the admittedly indulgent Christmas holiday. I'm now (at 80kg) the lightest I've been for many years. I've mostly done a similar thing to Helly, as I knew from previous efforts it works for me. Cutting down a lot on "white" carbs. Virtually no potatoes, and those I have had the majority were sweet potato, brown instead of white rice, or bulgur wheat instead of either, pasta once a fortnight, and today was the first actual sandwich with (brown) bread in 3 months. And the first packet of crisps too. I've been having rye bread open sandwiches - and recently reduced that meal from two slices to one. I also stopped eating weekday lunch - my job is sedentary - and have a small (35g) protein bar instead Monday to Friday. Oh, and I drank 3 bottles of wine in the three months, rather than the 3 a weekend that was normal. I also made a determined effort to get back on my bike, that had been sadly neglected (hence forgetting I needed a passkey to get into the Di2 app, never mind what it was!) and have ridden 20-30 miles most Fridays and Sundays since September, plus a weekly turbo session on a Tuesday. I intend to start the C25K at some point soon as well, as I prefer outside exercise to the turbo, but really inclement weather can put me off riding. Nesh Southerner!

I guess as a result, although I have over-indulged the last week, I don't have quite the appetite I used to, so tomorrows roast turkey legs has been modified to a pork salad (leftovers from Christmas day roast) with a small baked potato, which will be my one for the week. I can see us having to give away the Christmas cake we made!

Congratulations to those who've managed weight loss - I can sympathise with those "going it alone". My wife is, and has been for the 25 years I've known her, between 53-55kg at 5' 4" tall, eats like a sparrow, and needs calories to prevent further weight loss, calories I certainly don't, so meal design to satisfy both aims is sometimes difficult!

Commiserations to those that still face the challenge, maintaining motivation is hard.

So, the next push starts Sunday, and hopefully another 10kg off (I still have a considerable amount of fat around my belly and chest) before the Ides of March, so probably down to medium shorts by then if it goes to plan.  Then it'll be about maintenance, and seeing what I can bleed back into the diet in small / infrequent amounts.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7163 on: 30 December, 2020, 01:45:24 pm »
Virtually no change here , from the start of the year, slight dip in the summer.   My riding of late ( my key weight loss instrument) has dropped right off since summer.  A brief foray into BHPC racing on t'bent, amidst a 'project', then I lost my sister , then Covid started to come back,  then I got crook.  Mrs Pig doesn't ride, so I go out for 40-50km and I feel guilty , as shes at home on her own, I get back, then we go for a 6-10km walk in the country.  I don't feel I can go out for a 100km at the mo. Also there is the thought of ''what if I have an off'.  Next door came off, broke some ribs and collar bone, but caught CV19 in A&E. I don't want to go down that route.   tried the Keto thing last year, and it worked,but its difficult when you eat the same meals as your partner.  So next year, when all the chocolate cake and cream, nibbles , etc is out of the way,I will try VERY hard , to be good.

« Reply #7164 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »
I've optimistically signed up for the new year. I'm not doing much about it for now, but I might soon.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Chris S

« Reply #7165 on: 31 December, 2020, 11:52:15 pm »
I have not been kind to my body during 'Rona times. I think I'm the fattest I've been since I replaced smoking with chocolate, way back in 2002. Now I live in the hills of Co Durham, such mass is contraindicated if I want to ride my bike anywhere other than up and down the Browney Valley.

simonp

« Reply #7166 on: 01 January, 2021, 01:08:25 am »
My new year's resolution is to resurrect the graphs, which haven't worked since I retired the computer they ran on.

Edit: sh: gnuplot: command not found

Could be a while...

« Reply #7167 on: 01 January, 2021, 10:31:23 am »
I started the year at about 86kgs, spent much of it at 89kgs, but have slipped a bit the last few weeks and have crept back to 82.5kgs.

Concerted effort require to bring it back down again. I’d quite like to get to 75kgs and see how that feels.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #7168 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:40:41 am »
I'd like a weight-gain attempt that lost me 3.5kg!

I've put on nearly 10kg over the Covid period. Lack of a job, motivation and opportunity, combined with a two-month bout of sinusitis has truly bolloxed my previously relatively healthy lifestyle.

While I'd like to declare 'it all changes today', I think a less bombastic approach might achieve better results. Small changes, maintained. That's the plan, anyway.

« Reply #7169 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:41:25 am »
I started last year at 77.6kgs, got down to 74.9 for most of April/May, and then I stopped riding because it hurt my hip. Today I'm 80kg, with about 2.5% more bodyfat. :( My logs only go back to mid 2018, but that's the highest I've been with that log. I think the only time I've been higher was in the months after I started taking medication for hyperthyroidism (I kept eating like I was hyper for a little while).
Seeing as I still can't ride, I'm going to log what I eat - that tends to have the effect of reducing the amount of chocolate I eat because I'm bored.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #7170 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:46:26 pm »
How do people decide what their target weight should be? I’m 180cm tall and according to the NHS info on BMI  my healthy weight range is something like 66kg to 80kg. Most of my adult life my weight has been between 84 and 90kgs, so just getting down to 80kg seemed an obvious target. Once I got there I kept going, down to 78kgs. Obviously I now want to stay in the healthy range, but would it be better to target 75kg or even 70kg rather than 78?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7171 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:52:01 pm »
'Pinch an inch' was the old epithet.

Skinfold thickness over several strategic points on the torso should be about 25mm on a male.

simonp

« Reply #7172 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:32:13 pm »
I've got the weights graphs regenerated up to the end of 2020. There's no thread to add reports for 2021 yet.

Uploading of the output isn't automated yet, due to the tool I used to use having been deprecated. I'll have to look into alternatives. The graphs are currently hidden hard to find as the post is no longer pinned, presumably because they were broken.

« Reply #7173 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:39:32 pm »
How do people decide what their target weight should be? I’m 180cm tall and according to the NHS info on BMI  my healthy weight range is something like 66kg to 80kg. Most of my adult life my weight has been between 84 and 90kgs, so just getting down to 80kg seemed an obvious target. Once I got there I kept going, down to 78kgs. Obviously I now want to stay in the healthy range, but would it be better to target 75kg or even 70kg rather than 78?

I’m very similar theoretical build to you. Same height. Now around the 80kg mark. And very obviously still carry fat around my waist and chest. As Helly says, the old adage was you shouldn’t be able to pinch (with tongs) more than an inch thickness of fat. I can comfortably double that in areas still.  I should, I think (and thinking back to my younger days) be around 65kg ideally. I was for many years (to my mid-20s) nearer 60kg, and not considered unhealthily thin. I’m aiming for 70kg by mid-March, and will reassess then.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7174 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:48:33 pm »
Fat distribution does shift with age.

There is noticeably less fat about my wrist than when I was younger and more about the waist.

Aiming for a waist size around 7 cm above a slim 30 year old self is about right for 60.