Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1300711 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #1475 on: 12 March, 2011, 12:36:47 pm »
You're doing it all wrong.

4kg lost in 2 days. Stomach bug FTW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1476 on: 12 March, 2011, 01:21:13 pm »
 :sick: :sick:

GWS!

simonp

« Reply #1477 on: 12 March, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »
:sick: :sick:

GWS!

I'm ok now. Ate a small amount of food last night and breakfast this morning ok. Just a bit tired now. I blame the fish pie on the train.

« Reply #1478 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »

I wondered what had happened that you DNSed the 'Uts ride today. Other notable absentees were Jo and Fidgetbuzz.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #1479 on: 13 March, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »

I wondered what had happened that you DNSed the 'Uts ride today. Other notable absentees were Jo and Fidgetbuzz.

The stomach bug was a secondary (or even tertiary) effect of the reason I DNS'd but was the reason I never got round to emailing the org to let him know.

The scales showed 67.7 kg yesterday morning. I was 71.5kg on Wednesday. 68.6 this morning as I have rehydrated a bit and am eating normally again. Will probably stabilise at around 70kg. My target is 68kg by PBP so I'm quite close already.

Chris S

« Reply #1480 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:14:04 am »
Oops. One of the rare weeks this year when I gained some weight. It was a party weekend though - with a lot of cake and booze. Meh.

Also, the 100x push-up and 200x sit-up challenges are really getting into their stride (week 4) and there is no doubt I've got more core muscle, so that might also offset against some fat loss.

And my legs are full of metabolic crap from a 200 two days ago.

Excuses... excuses...  :-\

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1481 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:18:34 am »
In spite of not riding as much as I had planned these last few months, I'm now two-thirds of the way to my target.  The "expend more calories than you consume" gambit is working.  I'm hoping to shift the remaining 3kg by Easter.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1482 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:39:42 am »
I'm back up to 70.3kg from the low of 67.7kg on Friday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1483 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:45:00 am »
Back under 80kg this week. 79.9kg, to be precise. I suspect last week's high reading might have been partly due to a bit of a backlog, for want of a better term.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1484 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »
a bit of a backlog, for want of a better term.

d.

:hand:

simonp

« Reply #1485 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »

d.

:hand:

boab, is that how one holds back the flow?

« Reply #1486 on: 16 March, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

Did you eventually let it go through to the keeper?

simonp

« Reply #1487 on: 20 March, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »
69.1kg right now.  Ah, dehydration.  Or lack of backlog.  Or both.

« Reply #1488 on: 21 March, 2011, 11:15:05 pm »
I am pretty pleased that I hit my target 58kg this morning. I am trying to decide if it's a good idea to get down to 56kg as a new target, or keep that extra 2kg if possible to 'use up' on PBP. If In start it at 56 then there really wouldn't me much non-muscle flesh on me to draw on with a calorie deficit. Hmmm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1489 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:03:01 am »
I am pretty pleased that I hit my target 58kg this morning. I am trying to decide if it's a good idea to get down to 56kg as a new target, or keep that extra 2kg if possible to 'use up' on PBP. If In start it at 56 then there really wouldn't me much non-muscle flesh on me to draw on with a calorie deficit. Hmmm.

There's a long time twixt now & PBP. You might have better all-round resistance to bugs if you have a little reserve.

I'd stay at 58kg. (That's not true - I've not been 58kg since the sixth form!)

simonp

« Reply #1490 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:35:38 am »

IME, in doing the training for Mille Cymru last year, losing weight was not a problem.  In fact I had to eat shitloads during the week to make up for the weekend's riding.

There are potential issues with very low body fat - have you checked what your body fat % is?

« Reply #1491 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:59:51 am »

IME, in doing the training for Mille Cymru last year, losing weight was not a problem.  In fact I had to eat shitloads during the week to make up for the weekend's riding.

There are potential issues with very low body fat - have you checked what your body fat % is?

When I stick my measurements into a calculation site I get this:
Body Mass Index:     19.5  kg/m2
Waist-to-Height ratio:     0.43
Percent Body Fat:     17.0%
Lean Body Mass:     106.1 lb

Your weight is in the normal range.
You do not need to lose weight.
Minimum caloric requirements: 1922 Calories per day
Your diet should contain at least 103 grams of protein per day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1492 on: 22 March, 2011, 01:22:35 am »
That's pin thin! I'd advise against further weight loss.
You also should consider how you are going to maintain a healthy bone mass.
Any slimmer and your long-term bone health could suffer.

I had infrequent menses during my first year of Audax but was never thin.
The prospect of osteoporosis still worried me.

I've since had a DEXA scan which was fine (cos I had a lot of steroid for my MS.)

« Reply #1493 on: 22 March, 2011, 02:00:24 am »

I don't think I really look all that thin. I have just redistributed muffin top into muscle! I am not sure what would constitute a really low body fat %....

simonp

« Reply #1494 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

I don't think I really look all that thin. I have just redistributed muffin top into muscle! I am not sure what would constitute a really low body fat %....

The web says female athlete cyclists have 15-20% body fat. You're already there.

« Reply #1495 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:02:27 pm »

What type of measurements? If that's just height/weight/waist then it will just be a guess at your body fat percentage. Basing your perception of healthiness on a guess isn't a good idea, everyone is unique.

Unless you're using fat calipers or some other way of measuring fat (accurately) then I'd be wary of anything telling you your body fat percentage.

« Reply #1496 on: 22 March, 2011, 06:02:15 pm »

What type of measurements? If that's just height/weight/waist then it will just be a guess at your body fat percentage. Basing your perception of healthiness on a guess isn't a good idea, everyone is unique.

Unless you're using fat calipers or some other way of measuring fat (accurately) then I'd be wary of anything telling you your body fat percentage.

The site asked for measurements of neck, waist, forearm length as well as the height, sex, weight and level of fitness. It does seem to correlate with what my Weight watchers scales say about my BMI and fatness though.

Chris S

« Reply #1497 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:24:42 am »
Woo Hoo - I iz no longer "overweight", BMI is now 24.7.

The Tanita and calipers have me at around 18-20% lard, so still a weigh (FFS... ed) to go.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1498 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:45:16 am »

The web says female athlete cyclists have 15-20% body fat. You're already there.

The only people who go lower than that are bodybuilders, distorting their bodies for display.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1499 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:11:49 am »
I have found an effective way of losing weight is to get diarrhoea and vomitry and not really eat for three days. :-\

Hit my first target, but it's kind of a mixed blessing.
Getting there...