Author Topic: Getting Bike To Europe  (Read 11908 times)

Martin

Re: Getting Bike To Europe
« Reply #25 on: 19 June, 2018, 11:30:31 pm »
On the blurb it suggests that the price includes bike hire, although with a city style 3x9 speed bike. Given the distances are relatively short, why not just take your saddle?

Cost of taking a bike can be as much as hiring a bike, depending on airline.

BA consider sports equipment part of your luggage, when travelling I use the CTC clear bag http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag on the basis that it looks like a bike and will tend to get handled properly, I've never had any damage.

thanks; useful to know. The BA website says "recognised bike bag or box" so I've always used a proper padded bag or a Halfords box (for one way trips)

and yes I always do the *panniers / Caradice as cabin baggage" thang.

BA have been threatening to charge for bikes for several years now but thankfully they are still free; made a very big difference on my last US trip (compared to eg Delta who charged £85 each way)

« Reply #26 on: 21 June, 2018, 12:02:18 am »
Ham said:
BA consider sports equipment part of your luggage, when travelling I use the CTC clear bag http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag on the basis that it looks like a bike and will tend to get handled properly, I've never had any damage.

BA flying out of the US says there is no additional cost on Premium Economy (the only way to fly over the pond IMO) to carry a bike as long as it does not exceed the 51 lb limit and the bike is no longer than 6' 3".

I like the clear bag versus my bike box (which box becomes an issue for leaving it at Heathrow) but wonder if the clear bag will pass muster with the airport check-in people?

On the other hand, I would rather like the bike to arrive at the other end in one piece and undamaged so a somewhat fragile - ie. no protection - plastic bag would seem to be counter intuitive to that end. As another poster commented: 'Baggage handlers'!

Karla, you've been over lately, what was your experience?

« Reply #27 on: 21 June, 2018, 08:03:18 am »
Ham said:

BA flying out of the US says there is no additional cost on Premium Economy (the only way to fly over the pond IMO) to carry a bike as long as it does not exceed the 51 lb limit and the bike is no longer than 6' 3".

I like the clear bag versus my bike box (which box becomes an issue for leaving it at Heathrow) but wonder if the clear bag will pass muster with the airport check-in people?

On the other hand, I would rather like the bike to arrive at the other end in one piece and undamaged so a somewhat fragile - ie. no protection - plastic bag would seem to be counter intuitive to that end. As another poster commented: 'Baggage handlers'!

Out of interest, looking around to see if I could find negative reports of the CTC bag, I came across this page which is interesting not just for the pictures but the comments. That includes one from a real actual baggage handler that discussed the issue with his mates at work with the conclusion posted below for convnience

OK, hopefully a definitive answer! We only operate from a small regional airport (Newquay, Cornwall) but I have a colleaguee who has worked at larger airports which use the container boxes used on the larger jets.

Cardboard Box: Will offer more protection but the consensus is, some baggage handlers will not even consider what might be in there and just handle more firmly (throw!), with also the chance of bags been placed on top. Not ideal.

Hard Case: The perfect answer but no good for the touring cyclist. Unless returning to the same airport on departure and it can be stored there.

Padded Bag: Again falls into the same category as the case. I had my bike in a padded bag and it still got a dent in the frame, luckily steel so only cosmetic damage.

CTC Clear Plastic Bag: The overhaul agreement is, if we know what it is, it would be treated with some care. All attempts would be made to place the bike on top of bags in a cargo hold last. Ideally suggested to pad the front dropouts (rag/pipe insulation) and protect the rear mech. The Dash, ATR, CRJ etc…. (regional) type aircraft, it is easier for the handler to stand the bike up once bags are in. The bike is then seen first by the handler on landing. If the aircraft is a CRJ, 737 or A320 type then a baggage belt will be used. If so the bike will generally be placed on it, it could get knocked, belts are not particularly wide but are slow, so not really a concern. It would also be prudent when travelling to or from some countries or continents (Africa) to remove everything (pump, lights etc..) that looks Gucci! it will go walk about otherwise!

Aircraft types been; Dash series, ATR, CRJ series, generally all smaller regional aircraft and 737 to Airbus A320 size. These are all hand loaded, no containers. 757-767-777 and up, A300, A330, A340 and up all containered aircraft.

Container aircraft the bike will be placed on top of the bags in the container, if they can see it is a bike it generally will be treated accordingly. If it is in a box it might be forced into a smaller opening or placed in first and bags placed on top. Then you are looking at something like 500-700kg pushing down on the box/bike, not ideal!

As with anywhere human nature can take its toll!

I hope this insight helps.

FTR, when Iasked have I removed some air from the tyres, I just lie use alternative facts and say "yes" as an extra 10 psi will not cause any issue.

« Reply #28 on: 21 June, 2018, 03:13:56 pm »
Seems the hard case box is the best choice if one can find a less expensive way to store it and if the plan is to return to the same airport, otherwise the clear bag is the most practical for touring but the potential for damage sounds very iffy. The baggage handlers at US airports are not know for their considerate handling and if the bike were to be sent down the chute onto the turntable, then I can see a potential there for damage since the handlers always throw the bags down the chute.

A solution is still elusive.

Thanks for the info.

« Reply #29 on: 21 June, 2018, 03:25:19 pm »
.... if the bike were to be sent down the chute onto the turntable, then I can see a potential there for damage since the handlers always throw the bags down the chute.

A solution is still elusive.

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, my experience is that it is always delivered at the bulky luggage handling, never onto the belt. No guarantee, obv. The dynamic appears to be that it is easier for the handler to hold it like they would a bike, via some combination of top tube, saddle, handlebars, than it is to find a new, awkward way eg using seat stay, wheels or whatever. That leads to it being managed like they would a bike rather than an odd shaped, heavy object.

In contrast to the delivery, I have sometimes at Heathrow had to put it onto a belt (the "bulky object belt") on check-in, to be swept off to an uncertain place in the bowels. No idea of the capacity for damage there, but given that it is a bulky object belt, you have to imagine there won't be a drop at the other end. Other airports, you walk it to the bulky bar.

« Reply #30 on: 21 June, 2018, 03:55:16 pm »
Well, I think I'll give the clear bag a go, for touring it may be the best option, so I'll order it.

Thanks again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 21 June, 2018, 04:10:49 pm »
The dynamic appears to be that it is easier for the handler to hold it like they would a bike, via some combination of top tube, saddle, handlebars, than it is to find a new, awkward way eg using seat stay, wheels or whatever. That leads to it being managed like they would a bike rather than an odd shaped, heavy object.

As a rider of odd-shaped heavy objects, and who occasionally has to deal with helpy people grabbing them in completely inappropriate places[1] when manhandling them through railway infrastructure and the like (no air travel as yet), I'd say this makes very good sense.  People generally know what to do when they come to lift a conventionally shaped bike, but take away that cue and they'll grab it by the first bit that looks like you can grip it, with no consideration for balance points or a particular part's ability to bear weight.

[1] Cranks, non-structural chainguards, lights, GPSes, all sorts.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #32 on: 21 June, 2018, 07:24:07 pm »

See the minor rant in my last post!

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2018, 06:53:38 pm »
Concerning the plastic clear bag, the opinion of those who have transported bikes overseas - particularly to the PBP - is that this is a no-go and buying a cardboard box at each end and discarding same makes more sense if the bike is to arrive undamaged. These boxes cost $40 on-line this end  and I don't know yet how I would arrange to pick up a box in Britain, but it is a consideration.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »
Yanks tend to be paranoid about using anything that isn't an absolutely bombproof hardcase. I've used everything from a padded bike bag to cardboard boxes to unpadded bags and flown bikes to four continents. I'm a fan of unpadded bags but I don't use fragile bikes and figure lost paint is regretable but nothing more.

Cardboard boxes are generally free from bike shops, particularly if pre-arranged.

How you pack your bike is key, regardless of the outer packaging. Bubblewrap can be powerful magic.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #35 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:06:40 pm »
Forty dollars, really?  Bike shops are usually only to please to get rid of them.  I've scored free boxes in four countries, and only had to pay in one other - when the hire shops in Morzine had had flood damage and wanted to keep their voices for selling used bikes at the end of the season.  I still got one for 20 Euros though.

« Reply #36 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:56:35 pm »
Thanks Karla and Little Wheels, I read you comments, called my favourite bike shop and they will keep a box for me that their bikes come in, so free!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

And I expect I will probably be able to do the same thing the other end.

Lots of bubble wrap, got it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
Concerning the plastic clear bag, the opinion of those who have transported bikes overseas - particularly to the PBP - is that this is a no-go and buying a cardboard box at each end and discarding same makes more sense if the bike is to arrive undamaged.

Out of interest and given the factors discussed, is this based on any experience? The cardboard box option, whilst being visually satisfying, appears to me to be the worst choice, offering no real protection from being slung around and squashed, yet being bulky and awkward and demanding more disassembly.

« Reply #38 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:35:20 pm »
Out of interest and given the factors discussed, is this based on any experience?

None what so ever, but the respondents have travelled across the pond extensively - mainly to the PBP - so their experience with shipping bikes is far superior to mine and unless and until I get more feed back on the value of the clear bags, I have to go with what I know.

« Reply #39 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »
Out of interest and given the factors discussed, is this based on any experience? The cardboard box option, whilst being visually satisfying, appears to me to be the worst choice, offering no real protection from being slung around and squashed, yet being bulky and awkward and demanding more disassembly.

I used a CTC plastic bag for a Gatwick -> Salzburg flight last year without any problems, however the baggage throwers at Salzburg managed to stack a rather large bag on top of my bike on the way back bending the derailleur hanger slightly.  :-/  Suppose I should maybe invest in something like the Bopworz derailleur guard for future trips?

« Reply #40 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:41:18 pm »
OMG no, that looks like it would make things worse! You have to take the back wheel out so having that thing only makes it more likely the frame will be bent (by compression). It is probably useful when transporting with the back wheel in place.

What you need is one of the spacers that come with new frames. And another for the forks. And take the derailleur off, wrap in bubble wrap, tape or zip tie to the chainstay. That way your hanger is less likely to be damaged.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:34:57 pm »

I used a CTC plastic bag for a Gatwick -> Salzburg flight last year without any problems, however the baggage throwers at Salzburg managed to stack a rather large bag on top of my bike on the way back bending the derailleur hanger slightly.  :-/  Suppose I should maybe invest in something like the Bopworz derailleur guard for future trips?

Would this be prevented by simply detaching the derailleur? (I think you can tape it to the frame without breaking the chain or doing any other drastic things - we're just talking about 1 bolt, 1 allen key. I think ... I've never done this!)
i.e.
And take the derailleur off, wrap in bubble wrap, tape or zip tie to the chainstay. That way your hanger is less likely to be damaged.

I'd be amazed if no bike-in-a-clear-bag had ever been damaged. But I've seen hardly any such stories - whereas stories abound about the other methods.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:52:31 pm »

What you need is one of the spacers that come with new frames. And another for the forks. And take the derailleur off, wrap in bubble wrap, tape or zip tie to the chainstay. That way your hanger is less likely to be damaged.

The plastic spacers were't enough to stop the hanger on my steel MTB being well and truly bent out of shape on the outward trip to Thailand in March.  Whatever happened must have been of significant force to actually close up the axle slot (rectified by a security guard's metal truncheon at Bangkok airport with comic consequences).

From now on I'll be using old hubs in front and back.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #43 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:58:12 pm »
OMG no, that looks like it would make things worse! You have to take the back wheel out so having that thing only makes it more likely the frame will be bent (by compression). It is probably useful when transporting with the back wheel in place.

I'm assuming this was a response to my posting mentioning the Bopworx?  If so then I'm very curious as to why you think the rear wheel needs to be removed to use it?

« Reply #44 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:08:47 pm »
The back wheel needs to be removed to allow compact packing in most circumstances IME.  It's also less likely to incur damage BUT, as said, the rear mech should be removed and the rear stays reinforced.

« Reply #45 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:23:01 pm »
The back wheel needs to be removed to allow compact packing in most circumstances IME.  It's also less likely to incur damage BUT, as said, the rear mech should be removed and the rear stays reinforced.

The rear wheel doesn't need to be removed for using the CTC plastic bag in my experience, and certainly not if you're flying a 406-wheeled recumbent!  However protecting the derailleur hanger from getting bent does seem to be required.

« Reply #46 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:29:29 pm »
The rear wheel doesn't need to be removed for using the CTC plastic bag in my experience, and certainly not if you're flying a 406-wheeled recumbent!  However protecting the derailleur hanger from getting bent does seem to be required.

I had a look at the Bopworks derailleur guard you linked to and that would have been snapped off/bent instantly (and take your rear mech with it) under the force that bikes sometimes experience by baggage handling in my (bitter) experience.

Imagine your bike being dropped from the aircraft hold onto the tarmac, or having a couple of tons of stuff piled on top.  That's what I plan for these days.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #47 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:21:29 pm »
Yes @Matt you can remove the mech and tape it to the chainstay without having to break the chain.  I'm amazed anyone doesn't tbh - leaving it on is playing with fire IMO

Nick H.

« Reply #48 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
What do people with S&S couplings do? I have them. In the past I've cut up  cardboard boxes to make a box of the desired size. I've tried to make the box  crush-proof with lengths of plastic pipe but it's never really worked. So I try to protect the frame with clothing etc.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:59:37 pm »
I got my S&S bike for PBP99 (cut up cardboard box) and got the soft case a couple of years later. Padding the frame tubes, axles, etc. is key to keeping paint in place. Some toestraps or big zipties can be useful to keep the pieces in the right relative positions. S&S do velcro tube padding that is good stuff but expensive.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...