Author Topic: Frame respray  (Read 1814 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Frame respray
« on: 01 May, 2019, 03:36:38 pm »
I got the Karate Monkey resprayed at a local powder coating place.

As we all know, red is the best colour

The finish is great, but I had to spend an hour scraping paint out of the bottom bracket.  I can't find some of the bolts that hold the brakes on so the rebuild will be interrupted while I look through boxes in the garage for suitable M6 stuff. 

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Frame respray
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2019, 04:16:35 pm »
Lovely. Now you need to throw it down some stone steps so that the first accidental scratch won’t Be as painful.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:48:32 pm »
Silly boy with the BB threads - next time get a pair of old-style BB cups (from a separate axle set-up) and screw them half way into the shell before the blast and powder-coat.  When you remove them turn a quarter of a turn inwards to "break the seal" on the paint (rather than outwards which will rip the paint)   The cups will come out and leave the threads pristine and ready to take the new BB.

Same concept applies to all threaded holes (mudguard eyes, mech hanger, bottle cages etc) - just part screw in some old bolts or bits of studding and then remove as per the BB cups.

Rob

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2019, 09:43:56 pm »
I put old BB cups on the bike before the respray but the powder coat place removed them after the shot blasting and protected the threads with paper. 

Here's the bike now.  Built up with Alfine, jtek bar end shifter, Blunts, 2" Schwalbe Marathons, Spa cycle saddle, Hope stem in red, cheap chainset, Hope bash ring, 1/8" chain, Luxy bars with Cow tape