Author Topic: Flickr Pro plans?  (Read 5855 times)

Flickr Pro plans?
« on: 12 November, 2018, 10:42:40 pm »
The price of a Pro subscription seems to be doubling to ~$50pa, thanks to Smugmug/Oath, on next renewal.  Have to say that at that price I'll probably looking to wind it all up, which is a shame.  Plans?

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Flickr Pro plans?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2018, 11:38:08 pm »
I’ve been a pro user and am sort of thinking to stay that way at the moment in a ‘you get what you pay for’ way. Who knows where it will end.
It is simpler than it looks.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2018, 12:05:18 am »
Same here. Pro user, will stay as I have ~15k photos on there.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2018, 06:41:22 am »
Free Flickr is being limited to 1000 photos.  Bang go more forum images.  Sometimes, competition just means "they're doing it so we can get away with it too".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2018, 10:42:55 am »
I may stay.  Though looking at the list of new features below still not convinced, and there's no guarantee that the fee will not keep increasing, due to 'new features' being added.  I have ~4500 images, but most are 'not doing anything', and it's by no means a complete back-up of photos.

Pros get these perks:

Unlimited Storage. The only limit is your imagination. All Pros may now upload as many photos as you can take, always at full resolution.
    Ad-Free Browsing. Focus on what matters with a fully ad-free Flickr experience for you and your visitors.
    Advanced Stats. See which of your photos are trending now, and which have performed the best over the life of your Flickr Pro account.

Plus all these great new Pro-only features:

Premier Product Support. Skip the line. Flickr Pros now receive priority assistance from our new world-class support team. Available now.
    More Partner Discounts. Save on photography essentials. Discounts on Creative Cloud from Adobe, 50% off a custom portfolio site on SmugMug, gear from Peak Design, and more. Coming November.
    Advanced Stats on Mobile. Stats in your pocket. All the photo stats you know and love, available in the app. Coming November.
    Increased Exposure. All Pro members as of January 1, 2019, are eligible for priority exposure in the next iteration of Explore. Coming early 2019.
    New 5K Photo Display Option. Look your best. Your images are beautifully optimized for any screen, from smartphone to jumbotron. Pro images display at resolutions up to 5K. Coming early 2019.
    10 Minute Videos. More time to tell your story. Play back videos for up to 10 minutes, increased from 3. Coming early 2019.

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:01:50 pm »
I ended up adding a heap of pics onto Google Photos as I just have them for easy access, then deleting from Flickr to stay below the 1000 threshold. I only had about 1300 images on Flickr, $49.99 seems a bit steep for an annual charge for what amounts to 3-4gb.

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2020, 10:25:17 pm »
So for me, in mid August Flickr Pro goes from $24.95 to $49.99 pa.  If you click on 'manage your subsrcription' the options are monthly £6.49 / annual £55.88

How does this work with the USD/GBP exchange rate indicating  $50 is £38.   ???  :-\

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:46:11 am »
So for me, in mid August Flickr Pro goes from $24.95 to $49.99 pa.  If you click on 'manage your subsrcription' the options are monthly £6.49 / annual £55.88

How does this work with the USD/GBP exchange rate indicating  $50 is £38.   ???  :-\

They are applying the "Let's tax all foreigners living abroad" maxim.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »

Dollar price is $59.99 plus tax            (it went up in January, tax depends on state)
Pound price is £55.88 including VAT

See https://help.flickr.com/pricing-faq-r1qHsTEbU
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2020, 05:18:29 pm »
I have to admit it's getting rather expensive for the amount of use I get out of the service.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2020, 05:31:58 pm »
I have to admit it's getting rather expensive for the amount of use I get out of the service.

Thinking that too.

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »

Dollar price is $59.99 plus tax            (it went up in January, tax depends on state)
Pound price is £55.88 including VAT

See https://help.flickr.com/pricing-faq-r1qHsTEbU

Thanks.  Yes, $49.99 was 2019 sub.   Decision, decisions...

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:29:31 am »
So what's the alternative ?
When they kicked it off Flickr was going to be 1 free Terabyte - adequate for posting images here
- 'Caption it' where I spend too much time- and much besides.

But does Google fotos or Drop box offer you a unique web address you can link to ?

I've got a 'Photomyne' account (I think it was £19.99p forever) where I've put scanned images of old family pics - I'll go and see itf that's versatile enough...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:13:05 am »
With the pro account, do you get the "Flickr Pros get two complimentary months" each and every year or just a one off?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:45:44 am »
TBH, I'm not really using Flickr Pro that much now, haven't for a while. Have a free account for random image posting.  At the current cost pa, I'm unlikely to go all in and use it as online back up/display for all my pics; so this year may be my last as 'pro'...

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #15 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:13:09 am »
I just got a free image box account
imgbox.com
which I think might help replace the function I had with Flickr

but it looks as though some yacfers can't see the image - maybe because of a different browser ?

So my caption competition of Thelma and Louise, (like the Emperor's new clothes)
 could only be seen by some .

Test 2 : can you see this photo of my car radio screen and SatNav ?

« Reply #16 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:41:12 am »
I see both.
Firefox onna Mac.

« Reply #17 on: 13 October, 2020, 02:39:35 pm »
I can only see the first using Safari on a Mac.   Both are visible when I switch to Opera.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark