Author Topic: The Falkirk Wheel  (Read 5087 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
The Falkirk Wheel
« on: 26 May, 2008, 08:37:48 pm »
Two friends and I met at the station in time to get the 11am Falkirk train. This was made more complicated than it needed to be by the fact that most of the ticket machines weren't working and the one that was wouldn't accept an English note. Possibly because it's not legal tender, but probably because it was very battered.

We made it onto the train and were dismayed to find that many of the bike spaces (on alternate carriages) were filled with baby buggies, so we made our way to the last carriage to find there was already a bike in the space. So Colin and I put ours in with it and Wes wedged his in the doorway on the side of the train that wouldn't be used. We set off. At a later stop, more people got on with more bikes. Things continued. Then we got to Polmont and a conductor type bloke got on and threw a fit at the number of bikes on the train and told us we'd all have to get off except 2 bikes. Someone in a wheelchair wanted to get on, which of course is fair enough, but it seemed that the only possible place for her to go was in our carriage, and obviously it was not possible to make space for her or for the excess bikes in any of the other 3 carriages with bike and wheelchair spaces, or the 4 carriages with just wheelchair spaces. Clearly people should not have to move their baby buggies from the bike spaces. I don't know why we even thought that would be an option.

So, we got off at Polmont and cycled the 5 miles to the Wheel.

Between Falkirk and Polmont is a tunnel cut out of the hillside. It's nearly 700 metres long and it's very dark. The rock walls are reflected in the water below

and stalactites cling to the roof.

The back of the Wheel.

Ready for action

It's huge!

Let the rotation begin!

It goes a long way back into the hillside

As we sat around on the grass eating our lunch, a woman came and asked us if we wanted to have a wee trip on the inflatable boat around the canal basin, so of course we said yes. I didn't get any pics of the boat, but it was orange, inflatable and had a giant cardboard puffin. As the boat driver drove us around a man on the bank took photos of us, and we all looked and pointed in different directions at once for a laugh. We reassured the other passengers that it didn't matter if the boat got a puncture because we had a puncture repair kit with us. The woman told us that the pictures would be used for canals and waterways magazines, so look out for us. I am hoping that we will appear as a guest publication in the missing words round on HIGNFY. Then we weren't allowed to get out of the boat where we had got on so we had to go down in the lock, which was exciting for people who had never been in a lock before, but many of my school trips took place on canals, so I was quite blasé about it. The other visitors were watching us as if they'd never seen anything so exciting in their whole lives.

Eventually they let us out of the boat and we went for a look at the gift shop. Oh my! So much Falkirk Wheel memorabilia - mugs, piggybanks, plates, little tiny plates no use to anyone, ashtrays, whisky, decanters, glasses, tea-towels, it was like a special Falkirk Wheel Generation Game conveyor belt.

And then we cycled back into a headwind and it took us 4 hours. *sleepy and sore-arsed*

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: The Falkirk Wheel
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2008, 08:47:37 pm »
MSeries adds The Falkirk Wheel to list of things to see before he dies.

Nice pics.

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »
We can see the Falkirk Wheel from the back bedrooms' windows. Even although I see it most days, it is an impressive piece of engineering. :) 

RJMcB

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:08:48 pm »
Yours truly seeing the Falkirk Wheel for the second time. The first time was on the M6 as part of one of the wheels was being delivered. It took up two lanes.

I was on my way to a conference so got the mileage paid for! the most money I have ever got for riding my bike.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:39:14 pm »
Outstanding... I wonder if we can divert the Dumb Run through that tunnel?  Is it rideable?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:49:42 pm »
Outstanding... I wonder if we can divert the Dumb Run through that tunnel?  Is it rideable?

'Fraid not,  the tow-path is cobbled, wet, slippy and maybe 1m wide.  :(

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:13:35 pm »

'Fraid not,  the tow-path is cobbled, wet, slippy and maybe 1m wide.  :(

I tried it when I rode there a couple of years back. Got about 20 yards down it on the bike before the fear took hold....

It really is an impressive bit of engineering, but after watching it a couple of times I still get the feeling it's, well, a bit rubbish really as an attraction... So I carried on to Glasgow ( to meet a friend who had run the Glasgow Half Marathon and was most annoyed that I'd cycled there from Edinburgh to meet him at the finish line).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2008, 05:23:25 pm »
'Nothing good ever happens to people fae' Falkirk' </The High Life>

That is something I really really want to see :)
Getting there...