Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178631 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #175 on: 02 January, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
Those are both impressive statistics. 

However, while I think it is reasonable to make comparisons of conditions, I think we should bear in mind at least a couple of 'nother factors:  Amanda is (significantly, I think) younger than Steve; it's very possible that Amanda is (shock/horror) a better natural cyclist than Steve (or possibly anybody!).  I don't think this detracts from Steve's attempts at all, but I think Amanda is very special indeed and her attempt is (hush my mouth) not particularly interesting but very impressive.

Peter

« Reply #176 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:14:11 pm »
it's very possible that Amanda is (shock/horror) a better natural cyclist than Steve (or possibly anybody!).

I think Amanda is naturally better than Steve or Kurt on one point. This whole HAMR thing is about (among other things) quick and easy recovery day after day, and it seems obvious (at least for me) that at 24 years old, you recover quicker than at 40 or 50*. I do not mean Steve has no chance to beat the record, and I wish him all the best, but seriously, he will need a level of dedication even greater than Amanda's.

Alain

*: An educated medical opinion is welcome at this point!

« Reply #177 on: 02 January, 2017, 09:08:25 pm »
That seems reasonable, Alain.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #178 on: 02 January, 2017, 09:54:23 pm »
I think Steve has a tougher ask, as he has to take on a more variable UK climate. 

However, I remember riding with him for a short while before his accident and then again during his successful month record.  The difference between the two Steves was chalk and cheese.  During the month record he was in good nick, lean and fast.  If you compare his average speed on this recent ride with his average on his first go round, then this will bear this personal observation out. 

Amanda is likely to set a very tough target but I am sure that Steve will run it close, barring accidents. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #179 on: 03 January, 2017, 10:52:16 am »
Steve's average heart-rate is exceptionally low during his rides.

I think that's the most important factor.  He's not recovering from an intense workout, in fact (not knowing his stats) I'd say that <100bpm is "Recovery Zone" for Steve.

If a mere mortal did the same thing then they'd be in higher zones, requiring a few days off per week for proper recovery, to stay healthy.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #180 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:22:28 am »
My clubmate Matt joined Steve for his New Year's Day training ride. Now, I know Matt is a very strong rider - he did JOGLE solo in five days last September - but it sounds like he struggled to keep up with Steve at times.

Also remember George (who did the Mersey 24 followed by TCR last year) riding with Steve for a day early on in his first attempt and not finding it at all easy to match his pace.

Steve is an exceptional athlete.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #181 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:37:56 am »
I don't doubt it for a moment!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #182 on: 03 January, 2017, 11:53:21 am »
My clubmate Matt joined Steve for his New Year's Day training ride. Now, I know Matt is a very strong rider - he did JOGLE solo in five days last September - but it sounds like he struggled to keep up with Steve at times.

Also remember George (who did the Mersey 24 followed by TCR last year) riding with Steve for a day early on in his first attempt and not finding it at all easy to match his pace.

Steve is an exceptional athlete.

I had the pleasure of riding with Steve on PBP2015..briefly.
I wouldn't say he was very quick, rather that he's relentlessly quite quick. 

I didn't struggle to stay with him and yet, if I faffed with a water bottle for a few seconds, he seemed to be 100 yards ahead, then he was 200....then I never saw him again.  He's very good at covering ground effortlessly.

I think there are lessons he could teach many Audax riders about sustained efficiency vs erratic high speeds.

« Reply #183 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:16:37 pm »
I think Steve's got quicker since 2015...  Was there any in depth stats for Steve's month record Sept 16?   I remember the likes of ~375km @ 29km/h!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #184 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:24:33 pm »
Steve averaging better than 220 miles daily seems unlikely, given his recent average speeds and British riding conditions, even if everything else is optimised. Hopefully his cruising speed will improve.
I thought Steve was averaging 26kph at the moment, even in difficult conditions.  What makes it unlikely that he will be able to average 220 miles a day?
Keep it real

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #185 on: 04 January, 2017, 08:54:41 am »
On PBP 2007 I was surprised to find Steve and tandem at Mortagne when I got there on the way back.  "It's quick when it's going" said Steve, somewhat darkly, "but bloody Nigel keeps stopping!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #186 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:33:04 am »
Steve averaging better than 220 miles daily seems unlikely, given his recent average speeds and British riding conditions, even if everything else is optimised. Hopefully his cruising speed will improve.
I thought Steve was averaging 26kph at the moment, even in difficult conditions.  What makes it unlikely that he will be able to average 220 miles a day?
220 miles at 26 kph is over thirteen and a half hours with the wheels turning

Allow eight hours for sleep - more would probably be good if he's to get fitter rather than tireder along the way.

That leaves less than two and a half hours to get up, go to bed, eat, toilet, bathe, do any admin or  publicity, plan his route, fix any punctures, go to the doctor, stop on the road to sort his kit out, etc etc.  Less if he needs extra sleep.  It's not a lot of time.

« Reply #187 on: 04 January, 2017, 11:55:11 am »
I think most folk would agree that it's quite a challenge, and that success is not guaranteed.

« Reply #188 on: 04 January, 2017, 04:41:40 pm »
220 miles at 26 kph is over thirteen and a half hours with the wheels turning

Allow eight hours for sleep - more would probably be good if he's to get fitter rather than tireder along the way.

That leaves less than two and a half hours to get up, go to bed, eat, toilet, bathe, do any admin or  publicity, plan his route, fix any punctures, go to the doctor, stop on the road to sort his kit out, etc etc.  Less if he needs extra sleep.  It's not a lot of time.

Fair point.  Looked at in that way there's not much room for slack.  Perhaps there's a plan to up the average speed by using transport to take advantage of the prevailing wind or to use pacers?
Keep it real

« Reply #189 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:16:37 pm »
Somebody give Ivan a prod please ;D

I'll prod myself, but to do what exactly - a daily, live, estimated-most-likely route from his spot feed?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #190 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »
Fair point.  Looked at in that way there's not much room for slack.  Perhaps there's a plan to up the average speed by using transport to take advantage of the prevailing wind or to use pacers?

From my chat with him last month, advanced faff-reduction techniques (particularly with regard to things like charging batteries) are an important part of the plan.

« Reply #191 on: 04 January, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
advanced faff-reduction techniques .

I think this is what some people call "support team"  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #192 on: 04 January, 2017, 08:26:03 pm »
advanced faff-reduction techniques .

I think this is what some people call "support team"  ;)
I have no idea whether he will have a bigger or more active support team this time, but a full-time support vehicle is an excellent faff-reduction technique!

[Time queueing at petrol stations] != miles.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #193 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:14:43 pm »
I'll prod myself, but to do what exactly - a daily, live, estimated-most-likely route from his spot feed?
Day track like 2015 would be my request except roll over at midnight to match the UMCA stats. But that's just one persons preference.  Happy to reinstate my daily snapshots too.

(Brevity of reply due to lack of proper keyboard only)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #194 on: 05 January, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »
I think most folk would agree that it's quite a challenge, and that success is not guaranteed.

Exactly.  You need 365 days of good luck as well as the raw capability to do it.

Martin

« Reply #195 on: 05 January, 2017, 05:39:02 pm »
excellent! all the best TG;

anyone know how it's being financed?

« Reply #196 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:49:45 pm »

I have no idea whether he will have a bigger or more active support team this time, but a full-time support vehicle is an excellent faff-reduction technique!

[Time queueing at petrol stations] != miles.
[/quote]

In the interview with Damien Peacock during PBP Steve was asked if he'd consider vehicle support.  He was agreeable to the idea.  Martin, as I understood it the funds are still in good shape but Steve may well have to appeal again in due course but know more surpluses (as before) from ECE,s most welcome

« Reply #197 on: 07 January, 2017, 07:57:42 am »
excellent! all the best TG;

anyone know how it's being financed?

Ah, finances.

As backers last time none of us were given a summary of income/expenditure despite numerous requests/promises.

My guess is the original whip round raised tens of thousands, maybe 50 to 60k.

Some expenses last time were defrayed by sponsorship and there's no doubt Steve didn't spend any more than he had to.

That - and more sponsorship this time - leads me to think there's all but enough money left in the kitty for a second attempt.

Martin

« Reply #198 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:11:58 am »
^ this

sorry Steve if you are going to ask us or AUK to foot the bill for another attempt I'd personally like to see a bit more transparency;

especially where last year's funds went after your aborted attempt finished

« Reply #199 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:29:46 pm »
As a backer last time, I felt I had good value for money; I had an interest in an exciting endeavour and followed (almost) each day keenly.

While I wish Steve all the very best, I am afraid that a second attempt when the original target will likely have been broken twice is a completely different animal, which I would most probably not support this time around. (as we aren't being asked this is a little irrelevant, but it may be useful to hear)