Author Topic: I've joined a cycling club!  (Read 4885 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

I've joined a cycling club!
« on: 17 November, 2008, 11:55:24 am »
Really not like me, but the chap who runs it is dead nice and I fancied doing some 10TTs next year. Though that might come round a bit quicker - they're having one on Boxing Day.

West Lothian Clarion have just signed up their slowest rider!  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: I've joined a cycling club!
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2008, 12:59:40 pm »
Rules for boxing day 10's.

1. The quoted distance is approximate +- 50%.
2. Pointy hats and tribars are bad manners.
3. Mudguards and racks are recommended.
4. Bring a prize, get a prize. Wine bottle shaped bottles of bath foam are always amusing.
5. Bling bike, crap time? We'll all point and laugh.

Will you be doing the Fife midweek 10's next year?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:14:40 pm »
Just filled out the application from for my local club too (Chelmer) - £57! Is this normal? I am paying extra for insurance and time trial fees though (first time membership is just £30).

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »
Just filled out the application from for my local club too (Chelmer) - £57! Is this normal? I am paying extra for insurance and time trial fees though (first time membership is just £30).

Our club has a membership fee of £20. If you want to road race then you will need a minimum of BC silver (£35) and for road racing a race license (£31).

I don't road race so just have the BC silver as well as the club membership.

£57 may be OK if you get benefits with it.

..d

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:44:25 pm »
CTT charge the clubs £1 per rider pr time trial. Our club (Ely & Dist. CC) will charge £10 membership and £1.50 per time trial (£2.50 for non members), or an all in fee of £25 for membership and entry fees, next year.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:49:50 pm »
Our club (Poole) subs are £12. I'd look at the small print for £57!

Good Boxing Day rules! We were only taking yesterday about fancy dress tactics for the one down here (Ringwood).

Oh, and if you ride at all, you won't be the slowest rider in the club - there's always some people who are 'nominal' cyclists - and usually useful people.

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:55:31 pm »
CTT charge the clubs £1 per rider pr time trial. Our club (Ely & Dist. CC) will charge £10 membership and £1.50 per time trial (£2.50 for non members), or an all in fee of £25 for membership and entry fees, next year.

The OP is in Scotland where fleecing of TTers by running events under UCI rules is the norm.
Our midweek series is £4 per event on top of the BC silver membership.

..d

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:56:09 pm »
I was £15 (of which £6 is national Clarion membership and £9 is for the club - with £1 of that going to the Braveheart Cycling Fund).

David, I might well get up to Fife for some - it depends on if I enjoy it or not!

I like the sound of the Boxing Day rules - and in TT terms the Kaff aint bling at all, so the crap time shouldn't come back to haunt me!

« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:58:52 pm »
...if I enjoy it...

You seem to have got the wrong idea about time trialling. Enjoy??!!  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2008, 01:59:12 pm »

What's wrong, are you no longer good enough for Vélo Club de Mort:P
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:02:03 pm »
...if I enjoy it...

I was talking about Fife....  ;)  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:07:45 pm »
West Lothian Clarion have just signed up their slowest rider!  ;D

I'm Nottingham Clarion... Enjoy your TT'ing indeed.

I'm a CTC member (insurance) and pay about a tenner to the club p.a.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2008, 02:08:48 pm »
We would need to register VCDM etc. and that's not likely to happen any time soon. The website isn't even live yet - and that's been on the back burner for well over a year!

Chelmer has some turbo trainers set up in the clubhouse which I could make use of this winter and they go out on regular club training runs - and this is what I'm interested in, so when the TT's and road races get going next year I should hopefully be in good enough shape to kick some ass! ;)

David Martin

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2008, 03:47:27 pm »
I was £15 (of which £6 is national Clarion membership and £9 is for the club - with £1 of that going to the Braveheart Cycling Fund).

David, I might well get up to Fife for some - it depends on if I enjoy it or not!

I like the sound of the Boxing Day rules - and in TT terms the Kaff aint bling at all, so the crap time shouldn't come back to haunt me!

The Cleish course is probably the closest for you - just off junction 5 of the M90. It is also a bit flatter than the Freuchie course so better for fixed.

We are thinking about a 25 on a not recently used but very fast course near Dundee - have to see what the local police say about our risk assessment..

..d

« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2008, 12:08:53 am »
We use bizarre Boxing Day rules, such as drawing a time at random from a hat after the event; the rider who is nearest to that wins. Veteran and vintage cycles encouraged. Trying hard not allowed.

« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2008, 12:16:38 am »
...if I enjoy it...

I was talking about Fife....  ;)  ;D

you also seem to have the wrong idea about Fife.

David Martin

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:09:14 am »
We use bizarre Boxing Day rules, such as drawing a time at random from a hat after the event; the rider who is nearest to that wins. Veteran and vintage cycles encouraged. Trying hard not allowed.

That one is brilliant..

The best I have heard of is when the time keepers decided that people should all be disqualified for TITS.   So the times were read out as follows:
"And now for the results: You have all done terribly well. We're off to the pub".

And they beat a hasty retreat..

At our last Boxing day TT we had a 1930's TdF bike in the race..

..d

« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »
I don't think anyone, possibly including the organisers, actually understood on what basis last year's winner got the prize, but no-one seemed to mind ;D

« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2008, 09:46:56 am »
EWCC are twelve quid to join, plus CTC insurance if you're not a member. I've just had a session with our coach about my next year plans. Apparently I'm doing lots of things wrong.

« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:07:43 pm »
I'm doing lots of things wrong too, but I don't need a coach to tell me that ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2008, 07:16:23 pm »
We have a New Year's Day "10".  One year a guy turned up on an old MTB frame with forks about 5' long, which he'd welded himself from hydraulic tubing, and a big (non-working) headlight.

Best of all, he was wearing a denim jacket with the name of his club (Corinium) embroidered on the back in little pearls.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #21 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:07:46 pm »
Posted my application form yesterday, got an email this morning to welcome me and was informed of a meeting tonight, which I attended. Put my face about, said hello, made clear my intentions (go fast), and will probably go out with the chain gang this Sunday. :thumbsup:

[edit] Oh, and how could I forget to mention - they had wine and cake on the go!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #22 on: 24 November, 2008, 06:40:18 pm »
Chelmer has some turbo trainers set up in the clubhouse

Is this why their subs are so much more expensive than the average ?  Most clubs don't have clubhouses to maintain.
Aero but not dynamic