Author Topic: Highroad ceases to be?  (Read 5460 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Highroad ceases to be?
« on: 04 August, 2011, 03:30:57 pm »
Reports on the internet and Twitter this afternoon that Bob Stapleton has failed to find a new sponsor for Highroad and all riders (even those under contract) are free to seek other teams.

If it's true, it's a real shame for fans and, of course, those involved with the team.
a great mind thinks alike

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Highroad ceases to be
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:39:05 pm »
If that's the case then Dave Brailsford will be tearing his hair out ( ;D) wondering what to do - yep, Cav is brilliant BUT I don't think he would any use without Martin, Renshaw, Eisels etc ... and that may be a step too far for Sky?

Rob

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »
My prediction is that only Eisel will join Cav at Sky. Renshaw and Goss would be good for Green Edge.

The demise of Highroad is remarkable though. One of the highest profile, successful and international teams and they can't find a sponsor. Maybe that's the problem - no national identity in a world where global companies willing to part with cash and put up with cycling's dark side (no, not recumbents!) are scarce.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:02:57 pm »
I'd go the other way, and say that only Renshaw will be picked up.

But I fully accept I may be as accurate in this prediction as I was in that of TdF winner... ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
The demise of Highroad is remarkable though. One of the highest profile, successful and international teams and they can't find a sponsor. Maybe that's the problem - no national identity in a world where global companies willing to part with cash and put up with cycling's dark side (no, not recumbents!) are scarce.

For all that Bob Stapleton said during the TdF that he had been talking to potential sponsors, until they sign on the dotted line, any purported interest from them means jack all, and they might not have been offering enough money... In tough times, sponsorship budgets can be first in line for the chop along with non-management renumeration...

He had even been in talks with Bjarne Riis earlier in the season, with regard to merging with Saxo Bank, but nothing concrete was agreed.

I've noticed that Omega-Pharma are merging with Quickstep for next year... in the current climate, retrenchment and team mergers will be the order of the day.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »
Well the original story on a Dutch news site has been pulled - maybe they jumped the gun.

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:52:03 pm »
Well the original story on a Dutch news site has been pulled - maybe they jumped the gun.

..or were utilising an incorrect orifice for their verbalisation.
The journey is always more important than the destination

« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »

... thus creating an "ongoing underwear entanglement situation."*  ;)

* See management jargon thread.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:01:58 pm »

The source was Jacky Durand, former pro and now commentator at Eurosport.

« Reply #9 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »

Mind you, he's probably been called an incorrect verbalisation orifice (or words to that effect), in a variety of languages, every time he launched an attack straight after the depart real on every TdF flat stage.  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Highroad ceases to be?
« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »
It's been well known they were looking for new sponsors, and it is entirely possible that it went to the wire, and they are now looking at an eleventh hour deal.
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 04 August, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »
The Dutch source was perhaps from one of those "cafes" they have over there  ;)

I would have thought that HTC would be keen to continue - they seem to be doing quite well flogging loads of phones.

AND if as reported Cav has decided (news earlier in the week) ... one would assume the ducks were already aligned for the team he will be with ????

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:01:40 pm »

Much though I admired Dudu's swashbuckling style (aka usually hopeless one-man breakaways) during his riding career, this does not make it true.

« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

Much though I admired Dudu's swashbuckling style (aka usually hopeless one-man breakaways) during his riding career, this does not make it true.

OK then, cyclingnews has it and it looks kosher.

There's something wrong when a top team can't get a backer, especially as it's one of those teams that was founded with an anti-doping ethicg.

« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »
Cav was saying that he has decided who he is going to sign for. If that wasn't Highroad I can easily see that this could be the final straw in attempting to get a sponsor. While they've got other guys who are winning races, no-one else gets the coverage that Cav does...

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2011, 09:06:55 pm »
I'll miss this

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:41:15 pm »
Messrs Hushovd, Greipel, Farrar, Feillu et al might beg to differ. :demon:

Mind you, the Cavmeister has scored a few wins when he hasn't had the perfect HTC Express leadout, so they shouldn't get their hopes up too high...

(edited to amend German sprinter confusion)

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »
I'll miss this

It has to be one of the most impressive sights in any sport.

« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2011, 07:07:40 am »
It was lead item on the 6am BBC Breakfast news - when Chris ( Sport presenter ) started his introduction.  He was talking about Cav this and Cav that  ;D

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2011, 07:48:04 am »
I'm suprised that Cav's not made any comment at all. I'd have thought there'd at least have been a 'It's a sad day, shame to see so many people let go, etc, etc'.

« Reply #20 on: 05 August, 2011, 08:06:37 am »
That photo is just fantastic. It encapsulates so much. I wonder how many were taken to get one that good.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21 on: 05 August, 2011, 08:35:18 am »
I'll miss this

But without most of this lot as well, how can anyone make the best use of Cav? I can't think of any other teams as well-drilled these days (or since the days of Cipo) except perhaps Leopard.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #22 on: 05 August, 2011, 09:35:16 am »
Other teams haven't needed to be, or haven't taken that investment to the extreme. I think there are probably three or four national squads who can run a similar train:

GB -Cav
US - Farrar
Aus - Goss
Germany - Greipel

I don't think any other national team could do as well.

We know that Garmin and Sky can both put together credible leadout trains when required, though Highroad are the absolute masters (the confidence of knowing that if you don't stuff up, Cav will win - and the corrollary for the opposition, knowing that even if you don't stuff up, Cav will win)
Omega Pharma Lotto/Lampre/Liquigas also stepped up to the mark occasionally but never quite got to the same level.

Looking at the Worlds, I'd put the GB train as probably the best with US second and probably AUS third.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2011, 09:40:29 am »
Other teams haven't needed to be, or haven't taken that investment to the extreme. I think there are probably three or four national squads who can run a similar train:

GB -Cav
US - Farrar
Aus - Goss
Germany - Greipel

I don't think any other national team could do as well.

We know that Garmin and Sky can both put together credible leadout trains when required, though Highroad are the absolute masters (the confidence of knowing that if you don't stuff up, Cav will win - and the corrollary for the opposition, knowing that even if you don't stuff up, Cav will win)
Omega Pharma Lotto/Lampre/Liquigas also stepped up to the mark occasionally but never quite got to the same level.

Looking at the Worlds, I'd put the GB train as probably the best with US second and probably AUS third.

It didn't seem to do Farrar (even with the help of Hushovd) and Greipel (ditto Gilbert) much good in the recent TdF, in terms of number of stage wins. All the other teams' trains seem to fall apart at crucial moments - or just don't have enough riders in them.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2011, 10:27:36 am »
That is a matter of confidence and practice.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes