Author Topic: Hmmm, interesting, RE:Vuelta  (Read 5285 times)

Ruth

Re: Hmmm, interesting, RE:Vuelta
« Reply #25 on: 08 September, 2014, 06:54:18 pm »
Ooooh! 

Andrew

« Reply #26 on: 08 September, 2014, 06:59:57 pm »
Yep, a bit of handbags really. Made for interesting viewing though don't expect a toe-to-toe slugging fest. Elbows might have been used.

« Reply #27 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »
You’ve got to admire Froome - he has looked absolutely drained at the end of the last few stages. Such a tough stage today.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »
I was amused by the description of Froome from the commentary today - an anorexic Rasputin (due to the fact that they couldn't kill him off).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #29 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »
Yep, a bit of handbags really. Made for interesting viewing though don't expect a toe-to-toe slugging fest. Elbows might have been used.

Both disqualified.  Apparently B. had his hand on R's saddle just before it all kicked off.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Ruth

« Reply #30 on: 10 September, 2014, 11:06:16 pm »
Another cracking stage today. Poor Dave Millar has no luck but still managed to joke about his permanent rock sign. Bless.

« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2014, 07:53:35 pm »
What a ride by Froome today!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:44:23 am »
What a ride by Froome today!

Yesterday's stage has to be my favourite.

It contained attacks and recoveries galore (or enough to keep me happy).  the attack by Froome at 2K to go was full of "Will the others pull it back?" Contador almost seemed to be helping Froome in not trying to pull him back (and thus give Valverde a tug).

At 1'38" or so down on Contador I think it is all but sewn up for Contador, but then stranger things have happened before.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #33 on: 12 September, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
I think I'm enjoying the Vuelta more than the TdF this year. I'm restricted to watching the highlights, and I am sure clever editing plays a part, but the stage finishes seem almost designed to suit 1 hour highlights programmes with lots of suspense in the final 10-20 km of each stage.

tiermat

« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »
Just watched tonight's highlights. This really how racing should be. However...

Does the green jersey winner really get a light bulb?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 13 September, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »

Apparently yes - but that's just the "each day" prize. Like the CL Lions in France.

There will be an actual substantial cash prize (not to mention a nice line in his palmares) for winning the thing overall!

(you probably knew all this :P )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 13 September, 2014, 06:24:37 pm »

Apparently yes - but that's just the "each day" prize. Like the CL Lions in France.

There will be an actual substantial cash prize (not to mention a nice line in his palmares) for winning the thing overall!

(you probably knew all this :P )

I did, yes. Just wondered if I was seeing things. I was not surprised, after all the winner of one of the jerseys in the ToB, a couple of years ago, got a whole cheese! It wasn't even sponsored by a cheese manufacturer, but by Rouleur magazine (that much I do remember!)

« Reply #37 on: 13 September, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
I have such respect for Froome, what a battle today.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #38 on: 13 September, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »
Froome is racing for second - Bertie can wheelsuck Froome all the way to yet another stage win.

Tomorrow will be interesting - it is a stage Froome could win, but is unlikely to take anywhere near enough time off Contador. The podium looks set now.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #39 on: 14 September, 2014, 10:10:22 pm »
Just watching the highlights - I thought the interview with Millar was shameful on the part of the presenters. FFS!

What stupid TT course to end such a great Vuelta.

Bloody well done to Froome. Dan Martin did well too.

« Reply #40 on: 15 September, 2014, 12:20:56 am »
What happened in the interview?  I didn't see it.

« Reply #41 on: 15 September, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »
He was interviewed just after finishing - still towelling himself off and short of breath - and asked for his thoughts on the TT. As it hadn't been a great TT due to the rain, there wasn't much he could say about it and he was clearly already slightly unsettled at being interviewed when barely off the bike. Then the interviewer said something like "Well, so yesterday's stage was your last proper stage ever as part of a team, ever?" to which DM basically burst into tears.

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 15 September, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »
What a stupid TT course. The final 200m or so was very technical, on cobbles. What did they expect to happen when it rained? They moved the finish line back by 50m - hardly making any difference to the situation. One rider crashed on the original finish line due to trying to stop while riding over a large Cofidis logo which was very slippery in the wet. Another rider barely managed to stop while avoiding the crashed rider and nearly going into some moron holding a bike across his path in the finish area. They then removed this logo, it was just sat on the cobbles.

The start ramp was also very slippery. Don't they use some sort of anti-slip surface for this?

« Reply #43 on: 15 September, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »
He was interviewed just after finishing - still towelling himself off and short of breath - and asked for his thoughts on the TT. As it hadn't been a great TT due to the rain, there wasn't much he could say about it and he was clearly already slightly unsettled at being interviewed when barely off the bike. Then the interviewer said something like "Well, so yesterday's stage was your last proper stage ever as part of a team, ever?" to which DM basically burst into tears.

Thanks.  No need to wonder "where's Wally?" then.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #44 on: 15 September, 2014, 09:02:06 pm »
What a stupid TT course. The final 200m or so was very technical, on cobbles. What did they expect to happen when it rained? They moved the finish line back by 50m - hardly making any difference to the situation. One rider crashed on the original finish line due to trying to stop while riding over a large Cofidis logo which was very slippery in the wet. Another rider barely managed to stop while avoiding the crashed rider and nearly going into some moron holding a bike across his path in the finish area. They then removed this logo, it was just sat on the cobbles.

The start ramp was also very slippery. Don't they use some sort of anti-slip surface for this?

This.

I can't believe any rider, if asked, would have agreed to this course.  Rain, even on a non-technical TT course, makes it a bit of a lottery if it starts raining during the event, but tight turns, cobbles, plastic sheets on the road AND rain?  You're asking for serious injuries.  I'm just glad it wasn't decided by the rain.  Froome came into the last 200 metres at jogging pace.

Much respect to Froome & Contador though.  Amazing to watch 2 pedalling styles I simply can't do.  Froome's hyper-cadence vs Contador's "honking" all the way up huge climbs.  It just goes to prove something or other.

My own style involves stopping for a breather and a cake.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #45 on: 15 September, 2014, 09:32:12 pm »
It was a very dubious course and I was glad that the time gaps between the riders towards the top were substantial enough that no one had to really race it. Very sketchy indeed and made for a very anti climatic end to what has been an enjoyable vuelta.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #46 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:36:24 pm »
Nice to see Froome got the "most combative rider overall" as voted for by the Spanish public.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)