Author Topic: Show me your touring set up  (Read 9050 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Show me your touring set up
« on: 08 December, 2012, 07:31:30 am »
If I can't cycle a up-wrong, because of my hands, then I will cycle a sofa :)

So please show me your fully loaded touring set up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: Show me your touring set up
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2012, 07:35:35 am »
One of these with lots of comfy cushions and throws.  :thumbsup:

;D

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2012, 07:41:44 am »

As in the Fully Loaded touring bikes thread. The side panniers are the smallest in existence(25l), I also have the largest(70l) made by Radical Design. But I have saved enough space and weight by getting a small tent and different mat that I don't need that sort of room. I also do not bring cooking gear.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2012, 09:51:58 am »
Waiting for a train at New Street on the way up north

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2012, 01:30:10 pm »
What you need is a one person sofa  ;D  Tis known as a recumbent trike, go and see the Oracle aka Kevin (D-tek - I am not related or part of any business just acknowledge the help given in the past and probably the future) , he will sort it
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2012, 01:50:06 pm »
HPVelotechnik Streetmachine, the quintessential SWB tourer:

That's a standard set of front/back rollers.  It'll take 4 'rear' panniers plus whatever you can strap to the rear rack, with no compromise on handling.  It's about as capable off-road as recumbents get, and occupies the same volume[1] as a flat-barred DF tourer.

Here's barakta's ICE Sprint in touring mode:

(Dawes Discovery for scale)

Two of those giant Altura Orkney panniers, plus a Carradice rack bag.  Additional luggage could go on the back of the seat, but two-wheeled trailers (you can't tow a single wheel trailer properly with a trike) are a popular alternative.

For trikes, I'd suggest something like an ICE Adventure (more ground clearance than the Sprint, which is really a road machine).  Personally, I'd say that if you're capable of riding a two-wheeler competently, there's little advantage and a lot of disadvantages to three wheels.  Trikes are slower, bulkier, have three wheeltracks to deal with and are a PITA on trains.  They're better at climbing with a heavy load - you can just gear down to the limit of traction - and mean you have an armchair with you wherever you go.

Either way, I recommend under-seat steering for taking *all* the weight off your arms.

I second the recommendation of a trip to D-Tek, with the usual warning about Kevin's level of enthusiasm for things like answering the phone and actually selling bikes.

[1] I'm a shortarse.  If you've got proper legs it'll be slightly longer.

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
I've found a picture of me on my touring rig on one of the rare sunny days last summer ..........

Tent in one side pod and sleeping bag in the other.
Wet weather gear is in the tail box.
I've approx 100 liters of room in the trailer for everything else ........  ;D

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2012, 09:27:10 pm »
i took my trice adventure out for overnight run yesterday and here is a couple of photos

i use a carry freedom city trailer on its own in warmer trips and in winter the holdall lets let take extra warm cloths ect . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »
Can anyone tell me/give me the link as to how to post pics pls  ::-)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:36:28 pm »
You need to host them somewhere else - such as personal webspace, or a picture sharing site.

Then put the link to the picture inside (img)(/img) (where the rounded brackets are replaced with square ones. You also get them from the "insert image" button on the forum edit post toolbar.

Try "quoting" a post with an image in to see what it looks like raw.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2012, 11:33:05 am »
You need to host them somewhere else - such as personal webspace, or a picture sharing site.

http://minus.com is free and easy to use for this. It even gives you the code to copy and paste into your thread here.

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »
As the immortal Grommet (I think) said "Cracking"

« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2012, 04:02:43 pm »
This was the setup used across France and the Netherlands this year. Gaucho was superb on and off road.

« Reply #13 on: 12 December, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »
Here is the previous set up. Using Radical Bags saves a lot of weight. Even empty panniers weigh a lot! ICE B2 Used on Velo route6.

« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:14:17 am »
Radical bags are brill.

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »
I agree that Radical bags are great. Ortliebs do make organising your stuff a bit easier and that is why I used them this year on my Nazca Gaucho 26. However, when I compared weights the 4 Ortliebs (and additional racks weighed 10lbs more than a pair of medium Radical Bags! So if I use my recumbent next year it will be the Radicals.

« Reply #16 on: 16 December, 2012, 02:42:00 am »
I normally have the small Radical side-pods on my trike for everyday use as the seat is easy to remove with them still attached to it.
But on tour I'll change to my medium side-pods.
It means removing then replacing the tail-box to fit them and once fitted I cannot remove the seat, so I loose the ability to fold the trike easily.
But the extra volume comes in so handy, plus having more weight on the trike helps with traction on steep wet up-hills.

« Reply #17 on: 16 December, 2012, 01:55:47 pm »
I have always fancied the Ortlieb recumbent panniers, but none of my trikes are listed amongst the ones they fit

« Reply #18 on: 16 December, 2012, 05:04:58 pm »
Yes, the Ortlieb recumbent bags look interesting. Some bents are deficient in bottle cage bosses and one of the advantages of the Ortliebs is the ability to mount flexi bottle cages on them.  When mounted like this they are readily accessible on the move. You can see them on the front panniers in the image of the Nazca Gaucho.

« Reply #19 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »
Yes, the Ortlieb recumbent bags look interesting. Some bents are deficient in bottle cage bosses and one of the advantages of the Ortliebs is the ability to mount flexi bottle cages on them.  When mounted like this they are readily accessible on the move. You can see them on the front panniers in the image of the Nazca Gaucho.
Both my small and medium Radical bags have mesh pockets which will happily take a water bottle.
I normally ride with 2x 1/2 liter bottles of isotonic drink in them.
Add 2.5 liters in my Camelback and I have almost enough liquid for a days ride in sunny weather.

« Reply #20 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »
That's the lovely thing about trikes, you can carry extra bottles etc whenever you need.

« Reply #21 on: 19 December, 2012, 09:35:23 am »
My Gekko on it's inaugural tour in Wales earlier this year.... Chepstow to St Davids on the Celtic Trail.

Also the first fully loaded run for the Schumpf HSD / Rohloff combination!

One of those "circumstances" - I had to cancel leave due to an issue at work and rebook two weeks later, and hit that fine spell in March!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #22 on: 24 December, 2012, 12:39:13 am »
Thanks for the replies, great photos, and you started to talk about panniers too, that is great.

Now what is the Schumpf HSD / Rohloff combination? Is that hub gear and cassette mixed together?

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 24 December, 2012, 01:26:33 am »
The Schlumpf is a planetary gear bottom bracket (gives you two ratios).  Roholff is the canonical wide range 14 speed uber-hub-gear.

The SRAM Dual drive is a three speed wide ratio hub gear combined with a traditional cassette.  Popular with darksiders as it allows for a single chainring (some machines lack a post to mount a front dérailleur), and because the shifting-while-stopped properties of a hub gear are useful for getting going again if you haven't been impeccable with your forward planning.  For bonus points this can of course be combined with multiple chainrings or Schlumpf (or indeed both), so you need never risk knowing what gear you're actually in at a given moment :)

« Reply #24 on: 24 December, 2012, 01:39:45 am »
Thanks for the replies, great photos, and you started to talk about panniers too, that is great.

Now what is the Schumpf HSD / Rohloff combination? Is that hub gear and cassette mixed together?
It means I've hub gears front and back.

The Rohloff is really a 7 speed hub with an internal 2.45x step-down to give you 14 speeds.
The Schumpf HSD is a 2.5x step-up hub built into the bottom bracket, which gives me another 7 gears on top of the Rohloff's normal range.
Combining the two gives you a mega-range of 21 gears, which is what you want/need on a touring trike.
My normal setup when touring has the range 10" -> 130", so I can crawl up the steepest slopes at ~1.7 mph but still pedal down the otherside at ~40 mph ........  ;D
The other advantage for me is the shifter for the HSD is built into the axle.
By knocking the ends of the axle left or right with your heel, you can change the range.
So I've one less control under my right hand.
Main downside, bar the price of ~£2k for the combo, is I'm running the Rohloff below the minimum recommended gear of ~11". So if I break it, it's my own fault ........ :P