Author Topic: Living with a recumbent bike / trike.  (Read 11833 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Living with a recumbent bike / trike.
« on: 07 May, 2016, 09:17:21 am »
Just putting this up to pick the brainsz of the darksider / trike riders of the forum.

I may be in a position financially in a few months to put some money towards a nice n+1

Previously all my cycling has been done on upwrongs. I've done a few 100km audaxes in the past, cant see myself being fast enough or fit enough for 300kms+  Work is a 1.5 mile bike ride away on a rigid decathlon mtbso - there is bike parking at work (which used to be for the old post bikes)

I have been having a bit of an itch for the past few years about getting into the dark side, and to be perfectly honest I think riding a recumbent trike will give me the biggest cheesy grin!  Apart from the cost (getting into used car prices!) what is putting me off is the practicalities of life with a recumbent trike.

I stay in a mid terrace house, access to the back garden is down 5 steps then via a shared passageway (aka ginnel), which has a standard front door on, then a tight 90 degree turn to access the back gate to the back garden.

Current bike storage facilities is a generic wooden garden shed, albiet with a doc squid shed shackle attached to lock the bikes to.  If I gave the shed a good clean out, I may be able to squeeze a folded recumbent in.

Car wise, I drive a vauxhall meriva, and I prefer any bikes to go inside the car with seats folded rather than on the roof or on a rack on the back. This means that a folding recumbent bike/trike would be more practical for transportation purposes.

So I guess what I'm looking for is peoples experiences of life with a recumbent, in particular issues of how easy a recumbent trike is to get through doors / gates.

Trikes I had been drooling over include

Scorpion fx

Ice Sprint

but then again do I really need 3 wheels?   ???

Hmmm..... 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Living with a recumbent bike / trike.
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:34:32 am »
On a trike you can stop to eat your sandwiches or take a rest halfway up a big bill.

Without getting off...

Seriously, most trikes will fit thru a standard door opening. They fit down ginnels .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2016, 10:00:02 am »
There are people who hoik Ice Sprints (17Kg) around easily enough if they have good arm strength -- especially if they are male or quite tall. Our main limitation with my Sprint is my very limited dexterity/armstrength and I think Kim not quite being tall/big enough for that to be done with ease on her own.  We have worked out the best way of us manhandling it in and out of our house and other places which people often wish to help with, but is easiest not helped cos they don't know what bits are weightbearable. 

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2016, 01:01:05 pm »
I guess an ICE Sprint will go in your car with the seats down.

I am less keen on the Scorpions, they seem over-heavy to me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2016, 01:23:07 pm »
IMHO there is only one choice and that is an ICE 26, I have a 26 with a NT main frame, there is not a lot I cannot get through, for rough stuff I by picking my way have done Bridleways,  a trike is an excellent luggage carrier (Radical Side Podes and a set of Vaude rears) You can drop the gearing to climb (almost anything I have put a 34/11 on the rear and a 50/40/26 on the front - Barbara has a 34/11 and 52/42/24) it folds although I would whip it through the front door and put up with the inconvenience just for the pleasure, (at the moment I have a Cannondale, a Brommie oh, and a small AGA woodburner sat in my passage :-) )lastly you have the ability (if suitably knackered) to climb at 1mph if you need (off and pushing with two wheels at that speed)

I live in North Oxfordshire, if you are anywhere near (or visiting nearby) send a message/say on post and you are welcome to come out on either mine or Barbaras.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2016, 03:54:32 pm »
Just joined with a two wheeled dark sider, Azub Six.

I'm lucky to be tall, long armed and somewhat fit, so logging it around is ok, looks heavier than it is but still heavy. I'm still learning the best way to manhandle it. We got one step in through the front door to the living room. This makes the getting the recumbent in and out fairly easy.

Though the wide under-steering handle bars and the shear length of the beast a bit tricky when trying not to bash the walls and the door (not helped with the massive draft and the tendency to close on itself) and a K-9 that is very happy to see you :)

I tried to get it out the back door from the kitchen via small utility room, doors on 90deg, that didn't happen as the bike was way to long and space was limited to do that turn.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

BrianI

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2016, 07:11:59 pm »
Is the Azub Six folding? I think a folding recumbent of the 2 or 3 wheel species would be very handy for storage and transportation for away rides.

I'm still leaning towards a recumbent trike. Expensive, yes, but you only live once.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »
No it is not the Azub Orgami and tricon are.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2016, 08:57:26 pm »
A trike will be slower, and less of a challenge to learn.

On a two wheel recumbent heigh/leg length will be an issue to think about. I'm OK with a 26" wheel, but marginal on 700c depending on seat height.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
A trike will be slower, - depends who is on it, I remember Le Tour de France a few years back, to everyones amazement a recumbent trike was (on a side road the other side of some barriers) keeping pace with the Peleton, also as far as learning goes not easier or less of a challenge just different skills involved such as cornering at speed or getting airborne on a steep downhill entry into a little French village where the side road met the main road (I did say bless them).
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:10:16 am »
From experience of barakta's Sprint and my Streetmachine GT, I'd say that bicycles are more practical in all respects other than stall speed (which is only a problem if you aren't able to achieve normal levels of fitness) and ability to put them in the back of a car.  Bikes are faster, can be carried through doorways unassisted and you can take them on trains. Trikes can be problematic off-road. There's a learning curve, but that shouldn't affect your decision unless you can't risk any kind of fall.

I wouldn't want to have to rely on an ICE style fold for anything other than special occasions - it lets you get it in a car, but a Brompton it ain't.

Trikes are admirably capable tourers, as long as trains aren't involved. I wouldn't want to audax on one, other than for novelty value.

Riding any recumbent in a group of upwrongs wastes energy. The upwrongs get in the way and you have to ride the brakes on descents, and then you have to work a bit harder to keep up on the climbs.  Fine for social rides, or touring if you agree to play leapfrog on rolling hills.

BrianI

« Reply #11 on: 08 May, 2016, 08:37:10 am »
Cheers for the reply Kim!   :thumbsup:

The practicalities of storage / transport of a recumbent trike are what is putting me off. Perhaps if I lived in a semi detatched house, with it's own driveway & garage, the storage wouldn't be so much of an issue.  But I live in a mid terrace so sadly I need to think about the practicalities first and foremost.   :-\

There is also the aspect of cost - recumbent bikes do tend to come in a fair bit cheaper. Plus as you say Kim a recumbent bike is probably more audax friendly than a trike. 

With regards to touring, I've no real plans for multi week long tours, the only plans I do have some time is for a bike camping trip. For this I do have my ebay special single wheel trailer which has still to be used in anger.  So do I really need the extra weight that a trike would bring?

Perhaps a trip to Kinetics in Glasgow and / or Laid Back bikes in Edinburgh would be helpful!

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:58:44 am »
BrianI I have toured on my recumbent two wheelers and trikes. The tours have all been camping trips in Europe. To date Ive used an ICE Q trike, Ice B2, a Nazca Gaucho and a Nazca Fuego. The trike was brilliant - but I was using the Bike Express not public transport. The ICE B2 was a bit flexi. The two Nazca's were both first rate. The only drawback of the Gaucho was the seat height (62cm) - fine if you are tall enough (I'm a 42" X seam and found it fine). But it did take 4 conventional panniers. The Fuego is a bit more limited pannier wise. At no point did I need more room. Ortlieb panniers, a rack pack and my tent strapped to the rack was more than enough. Unless the route is very hilly my favourite machines  :)

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2016, 01:19:46 pm »
BrianI I have toured on my recumbent two wheelers and trikes. The tours have all been camping trips in Europe. To date Ive used an ICE Q trike, Ice B2, a Nazca Gaucho and a Nazca Fuego. The trike was brilliant - but I was using the Bike Express not public transport. The ICE B2 was a bit flexi. The two Nazca's were both first rate. The only drawback of the Gaucho was the seat height (62cm) - fine if you are tall enough (I'm a 42" X seam and found it fine). But it did take 4 conventional panniers. The Fuego is a bit more limited pannier wise. At no point did I need more room. Ortlieb panniers, a rack pack and my tent strapped to the rack was more than enough. Unless the route is very hilly my favourite machines  :)

I have used The Bike Bus with our trikes but now they want them to go folded in the boot which to my mind is not a good idea as even padded with household sponges they can be cosmetically damaged.

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:05:23 pm »
Never considered a trike - perhaps I lack imagination.

Two wheeled high racer fits on a rear car bike rack, tiller off and it fits in the back if an estate car, and with practice in half an hour can get it stripped down and into a flight bag. Only the rear car rack is as easy as a conventional bike but everything else is manageable.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

BrianI

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2016, 07:44:01 pm »
Thanks again for all the interesting replies.

On third, fifth and seventh thoughts, my investing in a recumbent of the two or 3 wheeled variety isn't going to be a magic ticket into getting audax fitness.  So perhaps I'm best to save a couple of £K, and just get out and ride my DF bike ( cheap and cheerful 2014 Pinnacle Dolomite 2), and get the audax distance up?   ::-)

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2016, 09:36:36 pm »
Hi new to writing on here, but Ive got over twenty years of riding recumbent s. Here are some of my experiences on trikes. I’ve had four ICE trikes, two explorers, an XXL and a pioneer. The XXL was light at only 29lbs in full running order mudguards and rack, and I have to say lightness is your friend, and no I’m not a lightness fanatic, but you do have to carry it all uphill, so the lighter the better. I could more or less keep up with my upright friends but it was hard, I much preferred riding on my own. Carrying it down stairs I have to carry it up four steps into the garden and then seven steps into the cellar. At first this ok take the seat off turn it on its side and it’s manageable, but after weeks and months or even years it becomes a pain and you stop taking it out. I’ve also had two wheeled recumbent s - Rans Tailwind, Stratus and Rocket, a couple of ICE b1s, Bacchetta Giro 26 and a Corsa. Of all of these the Corsa could easy keep up with the group or even easily leave them behind, much to their dismay.  The giro 26 easily kept up with group but neither of these liked steep hills 1in 5 or steeper. The Corsa was very light 23lbs the Giro 26 about 29lbs. But of all of these, I’ve kept the Rans Rocket, about 28lbs but fantastic balance, I can more or less, track stand it. I’ve been up a 1in3 on it and keep a good speed.  I average the same speed on this as my uprights. It’s easy to get up and down the stairs, walk alongside if you want a walk. To sum up recumbent riding is great fun, but you must look for a reasonable light one or the same weight as your uprights. As you can see, it has taken me a long time to find the one I like but I would not be without it. I’ve had it for ten years and it’s definitely a keeper. If you’re looking to do audax then I would recommend the Corsa or something at this weight. Sorry I do sound as though I’m a weight fanatic but I believe that in recumbent riding, it’s what counts. Hope this helps.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 08 May, 2016, 09:51:41 pm »
I'd broadly agree with this - there are all sorts of extremely competent recumbents on what could reasonably be referred to as the touring spectrum, but once you're riding more seriously it pays to keep weight and rolling resistance down, and you're going to find most of the more common 'bents lacking in that respect.

That said, tourers are easier to come by second-hand, and make a good introduction to recumbent riding generally.  My usual advice to recumbent newbies is to assume that whatever you think you want now is likely to be wrong, find a good deal on something you like the look of and expect to be trading it in or committing n+1 in a year or so when you have a better idea of what you really need.

BrianI

« Reply #18 on: 08 May, 2016, 10:29:53 pm »
Sadly, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy, trade in, buy trade in until I found the perfect recumbent. Which since I still don't know what that would be, best not rushing into spending wrong part of £2K

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 08 May, 2016, 10:36:56 pm »
Used recumbents in good condition are surprisingly good at maintaining their value (certainly more so than DF bikes), but yes.

« Reply #20 on: 08 May, 2016, 10:59:59 pm »
Buy a 2 wheeler - I own both and have found 2 wheels far more practical than 3 for all sorts of reasons: speed, traffic, transporting, manoeuvrability, weight.
Buy secondhand - you may change your mind about what constitutes the perfect 'bent and you'll most likely recoup your investment if you buy used. You can always replace with new later.
Try as many as you can before you buy. A visit to Kevin @ D-Tek, etc, will be hugely useful because you may not like what you think you are going to like! At the very least, try and have a face to face with a fellow 'bent rider for some hands-on experience.
Good luck!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:30:53 pm »
Used recumbents in good condition are surprisingly good at maintaining their value (certainly more so than DF bikes), but yes.

I'd very much agree with this.  I bought an ICE B2 in March 2015 after testing a few at D-Tek and finding I enjoyed it.

The B2 was ideal for me to learn on, nice and stable but a bit under geared for my liking in the configuration I had.  Once I knew recumbent were for me, I sold it for the same price I paid a year later, reinvesting that cash in the new one that is now on order.

On that I was about the same speed as the Alu framed roadbike, but at a HR 15bpm or so lower.  I've been faster on the carbon roadbike on the same loop but I think that was a matter of both fitness and weather conditions, but again at a higher HR.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
I'd broadly agree with this - there are all sorts of extremely competent recumbents on what could reasonably be referred to as the touring spectrum, but once you're riding more seriously it pays to keep weight and rolling resistance down, and you're going to find most of the more common 'bents lacking in that respect.

That said, tourers are easier to come by second-hand, and make a good introduction to recumbent riding generally.  My usual advice to recumbent newbies is to assume that whatever you think you want now is likely to be wrong, find a good deal on something you like the look of and expect to be trading it in or committing n+1 in a year or so when you have a better idea of what you really need.

Serious riding - Define serious, I ride/trikle my ICE trike all year round, camp shop commute and just pure pleasure, guess that's fairly serious, in the end (and I suppose everyone means the same) go and take advantage of every offer to try and then try again but the odds are you will end up in love with something that you didn't think you would have. It's your fault Cycleman it's cost me a fortune :--
Buy a 2 wheeler - I own both and have found 2 wheels far more practical than 3 for all sorts of reasons: speed, traffic, transporting, manoeuvrability, weight.
Buy secondhand - you may change your mind about what constitutes the perfect 'bent and you'll most likely recoup your investment if you buy used. You can always replace with new later.
Try as many as you can before you buy. A visit to Kevin @ D-Tek, etc, will be hugely useful because you may not like what you think you are going to like! At the very least, try and have a face to face with a fellow 'bent rider for some hands-on experience.
Good luck!

LMT

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:07:50 am »
If you ride for fun then get a trike, anything else get a bike.

I'd want to ride a trike again for the fun of going down a hill an taking a corner at speed leaning over into the turn, everything else a bike is better - even touring.

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2016, 07:06:58 am »
Brian, Dave at Laid Back Bikes is just down the road - wealth of experience, usually a good selection to try with the Meadows close by for safe wobbling, and often used and second hand bikes/trikes for sale.

http://www.laid-back-bikes.scot/page12/page12.html
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5