Author Topic: The 2015 Phil & Paul Show  (Read 12785 times)

Re: The 2015 Phil & Paul Show
« Reply #25 on: 07 July, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
You've got a 6 foot telly?

Tut tut.  You're confusing me with a certain social strata.  Projected image.  Could have it 20m if I so decided (but best wait until dark for that!)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #26 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:20:55 pm »
Carlton Kirby looking at helicopter footage of a wind generator: "They don't power them, but they get power from them"
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #27 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
"9 times out of 10 this would be impossible!" ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #28 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »
I was amazed with the Paul Sherwin successful pronunciation of dutch place names (Gouda, Zeeland), today we learned he used to live in Belgium.

He made a proper meal of "Peter van Petegem" today though.

I bought a pair of gloves from van Petegem's shop in 2004, trivia fans, having earlier beaten his virtual self up one of the Tour of Flanders climbs as replicated in the basement of that race's museum.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #29 on: 08 July, 2015, 11:09:57 am »
Was watching a Youtube of The Tour in 1994 when it came through Portsmouth.

Phil said something along the lines of "The HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's flagship, the ship that helped defeat the Army of Napolean".

It was then I realised Napolean's big error, bringing the Army to a Naval battle.

In fairness though I actually don't mind Phil & Paul.  It's background waffle, like the shipping forecast.

I'd also challenge anyone on the Forum to waffle on for 5 hours, using only a random video feed, without saying something crass on occasion.

Here's some expert commentary from the famous Klaus Binn win of '95 (you know, the stage when the car driver was disqualified for carrying bikes on the roof).

Klaus Binn Wins Stage
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #30 on: 08 July, 2015, 11:34:31 am »
I, for one, enjoy their commentary, including any gaffs. Who wouldn't make mistakes in a commentary lasting 4-5 or 6 hours long. I couldn't do it.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #31 on: 08 July, 2015, 12:38:44 pm »
I, for one, enjoy their commentary, including any gaffs.

Aye, I, for two.

In fact, I find most of the racing dull. I'm convinced that to actually enjoy 5 hours of TdF tv coverage you need to be in a bar in a tiny French village drinking Pastis and wine.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #32 on: 08 July, 2015, 01:40:32 pm »
In fairness though I actually don't mind Phil & Paul.  It's background waffle, like the shipping forecast.

I'd also challenge anyone on the Forum to waffle on for 5 hours, using only a random video feed, without saying something crass on occasion.

I, for one, enjoy their commentary, including any gaffs. Who wouldn't make mistakes in a commentary lasting 4-5 or 6 hours long. I couldn't do it.

Aye, I, for two.

In fact, I find most of the racing dull. I'm convinced that to actually enjoy 5 hours of TdF tv coverage you need to be in a bar in a tiny French village drinking Pastis and wine.

Indeed.

But pointing out errors appears to be so interesting and important that I wonder if some are actually watching what is happening or just intently listening to what is being said so it can be immediately reported here to heap disdain on 2 seemingly honest folk with a little bit of cycling knowledge/experience who are trying to make what is often a fairly dull spectacle somewhat more interesting.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #33 on: 08 July, 2015, 01:46:33 pm »

Aye, I, for two.

I'm in a bar, drinking Pastis near a tiny French village and there's not even a faint whiff of the Tour.....it's weird.

« Reply #34 on: 08 July, 2015, 01:53:37 pm »
I'm in a bar, drinking Pastis near a tiny French village and there's not even a faint whiff of the Tour.....it's weird.

Wrong bar!

What are you doing in Bordeaux?

Look forward to catching-up on Friday.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #35 on: 08 July, 2015, 01:59:32 pm »
Loafing about, as usual.

« Reply #36 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:13:43 pm »
I can just about tolerate them but mainly, I think, because I can't tolerate Carlton Kirby. I find I can't help counting CK's  'I guess' es, and anticipating the point at which he'll suggest that someone will 'go long', to the detriment of my enjoyment of the action and Sean Kelly's verbal idiosyncrasies. But I positively liked Dave Harmon's commentary (has he returned from his absence yet?) and Rob Hatch's.

Also, with ITV4 you get the somewhat cool Gary Imlach, and the mixture of silliness/insight from Boardman/Boulting. In avoiding Carlton Kirby I don't know who's doing the anchor job on Eurosport, if anyone.

And in Wales we also get the same live coverage and a half-hour (badly) edited highlights show in Welsh.  I can understand enough of the language to understand that they seem - understandably enough - interested in Thomas and Rowe, but the commentary of yesterday's finale completely missed the thrill of Martin's attack and victory.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #37 on: 09 July, 2015, 01:24:36 pm »

Report them to the authorities.

Though Pinot's doing so badly that there may have been a ban on public broadcasting...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #38 on: 09 July, 2015, 07:56:06 pm »
"Tony Martin ..." (approaching the stage end, in yellow) "... would increase his overall lead if he were to win this".

;D
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #39 on: 10 July, 2015, 12:04:33 am »
Well that one was true

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 10 July, 2015, 06:44:41 am »

Aye, I, for two.

Indeed.

But pointing out errors appears to be so interesting and important that I wonder if some are actually watching what is happening or just intently listening to what is being said so it can be immediately reported here to heap disdain on 2 seemingly honest folk with a little bit of cycling knowledge/experience who are trying to make what is often a fairly dull spectacle somewhat more interesting.

I suppose it could be worse, they could be being paid for doing it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2015, 08:01:47 am »
I find it amusing how Phil  and Paul don't talk about Armstrong at all. Pantani got a mention the other day, probably when Phil forgot he was on the list of those not to be mentioned. There's a strange etiquette of not talking about you know what.

« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2015, 10:14:53 am »
There's a strange etiquette of not talking about you know what.

What, you mean Lord Voldemort? Or do bad things happen only when you say "Armstrong" three times at midnight when there's a full moon, whilst standing in front of a mirror? I can never remember...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2015, 11:10:00 am »
The "not mentioning you know what" even applies to riders still competing. Contador is praised as being at or close to the top for the past decade, with no mention of the fact that he tested positive for something, or that he was part of Armstrong's team for a while. The commentary is in a kind of dream world where only nice things are said. Very soothing, but go elsewhere for information.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #44 on: 10 July, 2015, 01:45:04 pm »
I'm wondering why I have a high tolerance of TMS commentary where cake and many other OT things are discussed, but the same isn't true with the TdF commentary.
Perhaps its because at least for part of the time they are describing what is going on.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #45 on: 10 July, 2015, 02:09:53 pm »
The thing with TMS is that it's basically a conversation about anything and everything, with a little cricket thrown in. Perhaps the cycling commentators could become more like TMS rather than trying to find something to talk about involving cycling/the local church in the village the ride passes through all the time.

It's the repetitiveness that starts to annoy me eventually. The gaffes (like Murray Walker's used to be in F1) are funny rather than annoying.

Si

« Reply #46 on: 10 July, 2015, 05:17:57 pm »
Perhaps the cycling commentators could become more like TMS rather than trying to find something to talk about involving cycling/the local church in the village the ride passes through all the time.

Bring back Duffers!  (Yes, I know he was on the other side).

« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2015, 08:41:46 am »

Posted by: P Walsh: Yesterday at 11:10:00 AM

The "not mentioning you know what" even applies to riders still competing. Contador is praised as being at or close to the top for the past decade, with no mention of the fact that he tested positive for something, or that he was part of Armstrong's team for a while. The commentary is in a kind of dream world where only nice things are said. Very soothing, but go elsewhere for information

If I remember correctly although Contador was in the same team as Armstrong it was like a civil war where Armstrong did all he could to isolate Contador and attacked him at every opportunity, any inference that he was "part of Armstrong's team" is rather unfair.   Again relying on my memory I believe you know who were both strong defenders of Armstrong's innocence.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 11 July, 2015, 11:53:58 am »
I can understand not mentioning D*rty Dr*gs Che*ts during commentary. If a rider has been banned, then they've served their sentence. Its not relevant to the race we are watching right now.
(it would be wrong to actually lie about these matters - e.g. saying Contador won the Tour, but not mentioning that he was DQed!)

I'm not in favour of a rose-tinted coverage where no-one ever mentions the bad stuff - but you have a problem once you start discussing drugs. It can quickly take over the coverage. Listeners to the much-missed Scottish Podcast may recall that drugs were discussed almost every show - and when they were, it would be 10 minutes worth, not just a brief mention. They would waste hours dicussing rumour and speculation.

Ned Boulting wrote a good pice about this in June:
watch the races as races, accepting that everyone has their own advantages/disadvantages - the playing field is never level. Thats one of the subtleties that makes road racing so richly fascinating.
After the race? Let the rumours, sample analysis and prosecutions run their course!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #49 on: 11 July, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »
I kind of know where you are all coming from, but I find it hard to believe that Contador shared a bus with Armstrong and his team and was not a party to what was going on. And later he was disqualified for a doping offence. And I take the hard line on this. If you get caught you don't come back.