Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814490 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #875 on: 21 June, 2008, 06:08:28 pm »
Yes... another twenty-something convalescent miles... it didn't rain much, unlike what it's probably doing on "Wrekin to Sea".

my daughter cycled up a seriously big hill (East road / Quernmore road in Lancaster). She is over the moon

So she should be!
I used to live there, and walk up and down it to work. It's steep!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #876 on: 21 June, 2008, 06:14:44 pm »
An embarrassingly short 36 miles with the CTC in the wind and drizzle.  Went to the Tutti Pole in Hungerford, which thankfully is still there (it's next week's tea stop).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #877 on: 21 June, 2008, 06:18:32 pm »
Was there for (I think) the Marlborough Connection. Hope there is some semblance of summer for next week  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #878 on: 21 June, 2008, 06:47:36 pm »
I went to Tewkesbury to see my lad row. It were rather windy!

I have another 5 miles to do to collect him, which will make it 66 miles at about 15mph.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #879 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:33:59 pm »
Was there for (I think) the Marlborough Connection. Hope there is some semblance of summer for next week  ::-)

I saw two roadies sitting outside a pub on the other side of the canal bridge, who then rode off up the hill, but there were no other serious cyclists in the Tutti Pole - just a family.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #880 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »
Spent the morning training two St John Ambulance Cycle Responders to deal with heavy-ish traffic and crossing multiple traffic lanes.

The afternoon was with a 48-year old lady complete beginner.

Quite a satisfactory day.

The last trip was down the local takeaway to collect a curry  ;D

Pete

« Reply #881 on: 22 June, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
Just finished a comfortable 41* this morning.  Nothing special, no hills to speak of, no particular destination, nothing to claim re time.  But the main thing was, the bits of me that usually hurt on such occasions, weren't hurting so much today.

Makes me think, almost, almost, could I work up to another L2B?.... :-\

Irony, that.

(*slaps wrist* "don't even think about it Pete")

*Miles.  I don't cycle in these Km thingies!  ;D

« Reply #882 on: 22 June, 2008, 01:29:05 pm »
I am back from a very windy club run to Cokerham Sands, Great Eccleston, Scorton, Quernmore valley and back home. Only four of us. Hard work and not fully recovered after a cold :-(

Rapples

« Reply #883 on: 22 June, 2008, 02:24:14 pm »
Well I was leading a road race today for about 5 minutes!!!!!

On my way home from the club run (in Hitchin Nomads Kit)started to cycle through various marshals, one even applauded  :D

Then the lead car sped past and overtook me, marshals started stopping the traffic.  I followed the car for about half a mile before 2 riders overtook me, then 1 other.

I didn't let the peleton catch me though 8) 8) 8) I turned off

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #884 on: 22 June, 2008, 04:43:54 pm »
Well, I went out yesterday and came back today.

59 mile round trip to Ratsborough Farm, Southminster.

It's a good camp site and the Essex Boys could do worse than to take tents there on a Friday evening, do the Southminster pubs (there's quite a few) and then bugger off to the Roundbush for a 10 a.m. breakfast of pickled egg & bacon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #885 on: 22 June, 2008, 04:54:52 pm »
Enjoyed a very windy ride out to Clumber park this morning.  :D
Don't ask.

Jezza

« Reply #886 on: 22 June, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »
I can't even get the garage door open to get the bike out, it's that windy. Stupid electrofuckingnomic doors that halt the moment they feel the slightest breeze. If it was my house I'd take an axe to it.   

« Reply #887 on: 22 June, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
25 miles around Middleton Tyas, Melsonby and Aldbrough St John.  I'm glad I didn't go anywhere more exposed - it's seriously windy out there, and there's a lot of debris on the roads.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #888 on: 22 June, 2008, 07:02:49 pm »
About 12 miles aout and round the resevoir. Across the causway I got spray on me and around one side barely any of the cyclists could actually go in a straight line, me included.  :)

« Reply #889 on: 22 June, 2008, 07:06:01 pm »
Two more complete beginners are now off and pedalling, and a group of youngsters were trained in riding with other traffic.
Again, very satisfying...

...until two miles from home my cassette gave up the ghost and decided to freewheel both ways  >:(

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #890 on: 22 June, 2008, 08:12:06 pm »
92 miles of seriously windy and tough North Yorkshire Moors hills with Andrew W!!
Only mad dogs and Englishman :o
Very scary in places with the wind being as strong as it was.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #891 on: 22 June, 2008, 09:16:51 pm »
Yes, round the block on a 1950s Percy Stellard having just fitted a 39/52 chainset.  And now it is fun.  

« Reply #892 on: 22 June, 2008, 09:18:55 pm »
about 37 miles home from York, in the wind, with a friend from Leeds CTC. Slow but easy and sociable, until we parted company and I headed due south into the teeth of the gale.

« Reply #893 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:38:00 am »
About 50 windy miles yesterday... Going out on the Pompino to meet up with a friend was a real power exercise. Thank goodness we took small lanes after that. The ride back home was nearly a TT though. Last night I felt quite tired for what should have been for me a rather mild exercise; my face was burning too. It could have been a wonderful day without the strong gusts of wind; we certainly exoperienced the background sun goodness when we were sheltered; in the wind however it could be cool and even a bit dangerous.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

annie

« Reply #894 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:31:22 pm »
Yes I have. 84 n a bit miles at 15.5mph average, I am not sure if I am getting better or worse?  A lovely day in many ways.  I saw a family of stoats or they might have been weasels, they looked like Meerkats all stood up in the middle of the road, it made me smile.  Someone else told me they were probably tigers so I will stick with that one. 

I had an incident with a woman in a 4 x 4 who pulled out on me, this resulted in a bruised shin and me reeling off a whole load of expletives in front of a packed playground full of teenagers.  The woman was suitably ashamed and went off with her tail between her legs.

A couple of miles from home I had a bee in my buff moment and had to stop to release the devil, could have  been much worse, I did however use that stop to munch on a nana.

Marmite sandwiches consumed = 0
 :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #895 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:09:56 pm »
6.1 miles of commute. Not  very inspiring. My total for June is a miserable 200 miles so far, the feebleness of this total being mostly down to a combination of gut-rot and arthritis.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #896 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:54:57 pm »
Yes I have. 84 n a bit miles at 15.5mph average, I am not sure if I am getting better or worse?

That's very good going, especially if you only had a banana!

I think it means you are getting better not worse.

annie

« Reply #897 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:56:42 pm »
Yes I have. 84 n a bit miles at 15.5mph average, I am not sure if I am getting better or worse?

That's very good going, especially if you only had a banana!

I think it means you are getting better not worse.

:-*

« Reply #898 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »
good work annie!!

I'm just back from my weekly 2 x 20 minute session - both over 21mph which I was v. chuffed with. 

« Reply #899 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:02:12 pm »
Ride to Thornbury and back, 50 kms.
Good weather, plenty of morning sunshine.
Excellent cafe called Ronnies for coffee and flapjack  :thumbsup: